Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1
So thank you to Flyertalk.. I think I am about to embark on my first status challenge.

The situation: I will be traveling to Italy in April. For ease, assume that total flight distance will be 5000 miles each way and my EQP is 1:1 for all booking codes/alliances flown. Now the question:

a) Do I go for a gold challenge-5000 EQP? $100. That way, on the return leg I will be getting a 25% bonus and for the remainder of the elite year a 25% bonus, gold status...etc

b) Plat Challenge-10000 EQP? $200. No bonus for this round trip but 100% from here on out and better perks.

Not that this makes a difference.. but Id say I could probably get gold again but would not be able to re-qualify for Plat.

What to do?
I would do the PLT challenge. If you ever plan on traveling internationally this year, access to the lounges is a really nice perk (showers and food and calm after/before long flights). All the other things also apply (100% RDM bonus, etc...)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I will be traveling to Italy in April. For ease, assume that total flight distance will be 5000 miles each way
If you can make PLT for a year why not... You will get a softlanding to Gold the next year as worst cae.

When routing LAX to italy (FCO?) suggest that you look for routing that maximize miles/points... LAX ORD MIA FCO.... careful routing can make the PLT challenge easier...
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
If you can make PLT for a year why not... You will get a softlanding to Gold the next year as worst cae.

When routing LAX to italy (FCO?) suggest that you look for routing that maximize miles/points... LAX ORD MIA FCO.... careful routing can make the PLT challenge easier...
He wouldn't be PLT for a year. If you start the challenge before June 16, PLT expires expires on Feb 28, 2011. If you June 16 or later, it expires in Feb 2012.

So, if the OP starts in April, he is going to get less than 12 months
As noted, you should get the bonus on the flight that takes you over the threshold.
As noted, if you get PLT status, you will have GOLD for the next year (if things remain the same)

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 23, 2010 at 12:38 am
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:51 pm

The June 16 date info is very helpful for those who have the choice of when to start.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:43 pm

I signed up for the Challenge to start on Jan 16 and my CC was charged $150 on Jan 18 (backdated to Jan 16 for challenge start).

I never received any welcome email or anything in the mail about the Challenge. Should I be worried?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by johndunn2
Should I be worried?
No, no reason to worry, but if you'd would be more comfortable having it, call AA and ask them to (re)send it.

Fwiw the email isn't really necessary, but were it me, I'd prefer to have written confirmation of the challenge requirements.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:01 pm

Want to be PLT again...

Flew 47k EQM in 09, will be downgraded to GLD from PLT on Mar 1 2010.
Bought into PLT last year.
Want to be PLT again.
Planning Y/B rt LAX-CDG in Apr 10.
Any recommendations?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by pjbca
Any recommendations?
Welcome to FT.

Imo there aren't very many options. If you are eligible to complete a PLT challenge in April, go for it. If not, fly 50K EQM, 50K EQP, or 60 EQS this year. Good luck.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
Originally Posted by johndunn2
I signed up for the Challenge to start on Jan 16 and my CC was charged $150 on Jan 18 (backdated to Jan 16 for challenge start).

I never received any welcome email or anything in the mail about the Challenge. Should I be worried?
I qualified for PLAT via challenge on January 15. So far, no card. I called AA earlier today and was told:

"They only send the cards out at the beginning of the membership year, in March."

That didn't make any sense. I didn't wait for the Gold card, it came right away.

I told the rep that it didn't sound right and I really needed the card, because I am planning some European travel and want OW lounge access. He told me "Well, you will still have your Gold card."

By then I was really puzzled. So I explained that what will be happening is that I will be in Europe, on an expired Gold card, trying to gain access to OW lounges, trying to explain to people that AA only send cards out at the beginning of March. He told me:

"Well, if you fly Business, you'll have lounge access anyway." Followed with "Having a PLAT card won't matter if you are in Economy." I had to remind him that, indeed, I would have access with PLAT......if only I can show something better than an expired Gold.

The whole call was pretty unhelpful. But he did agree to request a "duplicate" card, saying that it would take 3 weeks to arrive.

?????
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
When you get an uniformed AAgent like that who clearly makes things up as they go along to compensate for lack of actual knowledge the best advice is....hang up and call back
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by britenbsas
When you get an uniformed AAgent like that who clearly makes things up as they go along to compensate for lack of actual knowledge the best advice is....hang up and call back
Agreed. No need to argue with one agent. As soon as it is clear, just thank him, hang up, and call again.

Question for OrvilleWright: Did you call AAdvantage desk or generic phone agent? The above advice assumes the latter. However, you should have called the platinum/gold number. If those guys don't know about platinum benefits, they should be reported.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Finalizing the gold challenge...Does anyone know if
1. Q gets .5EQP/mile or none if traveling transatlantic AA flight # from DFW-MAD? On the flyerguide, the gold letter has it excluded but the plat challenge letter has it counting toward .5

2. If flying from MAD-FCO will I get any miles? The flight is currently listed as an AA flight # operated by Iberia Airlines but lists no miles. Will I be awarded for partner airline miles or get nothing because its not listed?

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:26 am

Finalizing the gold challenge...Does anyone know if
1. Q gets .5EQP/mile or none if traveling transatlantic AA flight # from DFW-MAD? On the flyerguide, the gold letter has it excluded but the plat challenge letter has it counting toward .5

2. If flying from MAD-FCO will I get any miles? The flight is currently listed as an AA flight # operated by Iberia Airlines but lists no miles. Will I be awarded for partner airline miles or get nothing because its not listed?
1) Both the flight number and equipment has to be AA. If so, you will get 0.5 EQP traveling in Q.
2) <incorrect information redacted per Help Desk rules>

Last edited by dstan; Feb 24, 2010 at 9:30 am Reason: help desk rules
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
I see the AA symbol and Flight # (AA #400), but how do I know that it is AA metal? I understand it is not when it says "Operated by Iberia", but this one does not say anything about "operated by" and lists the mileage as about 4900. When I did the search, I only asked it to search using AA, AA Connection, AA Eagle.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I see the AA symbol and Flight # (AA #400), but how do I know that it is AA metal? I understand it is not when it says "Operated by Iberia", but this one does not say anything about "operated by" and lists the mileage as about 4900. When I did the search, I only asked it to search using AA, AA Connection, AA Eagle.
If not "operated by" someone else, it will be AA metal. Listing the mileage is also a clue, and I think it always indicates AA metal, but I'm not as sure of that. With a search for "AA only" it will bring up codeshares as this is an AA flight number.

In response to a previous question that was not quite correctly answered- you will get miles (and EQM) for the AA flight number operated by someone else, just as if it were AA.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.