Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
It doesn't matter if you are in the middle of a trip. However, you state that MIA-LAX will give you enough "miles" For a challenge miles are irrelevant, you need to reach a certain point level.
Yes, I realize that, I guess I used the terms interchangeably. I will reach 10,000 points.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I specifically requested the email and he sent it twice-once for me and once for my husband.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD
I predict the following numbers will soon be of signifigance:

10 & 15

80 & 150
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
??

Originally Posted by YenSid1222

10 & 15

80 & 150
This is not really helpful. Could you please clarify what this means?

Thank You
Joel
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I've looked in the first page and on AA's web site but can't find it.

I'm trying to requalify on segments (found out about AADER too late, dang it).

Are there any domestic fare buckets that don't get full segment qualification, i.e. O or Q?

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by zipadee
Are there any domestic fare buckets that don't get full segment qualification, i.e. O or Q?
Basically, all fares that earn EQP and EQM will also earn EQS (elite qualifying segments). So O and Q fares on domestic flights do indeed earn EQS.

Beware the direct flight, though. It may look like two segments and it may feel like two segements (especially when you change equipment) but it will only count as one elite qualifying segment.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Basically, all fares that earn EQP and EQM will also earn EQS (elite qualifying segments). So O and Q fares on domestic flights do indeed earn EQS.

Beware the direct flight, though. It may look like two segments and it may feel like two segements (especially when you change equipment) but it will only count as one elite qualifying segment.

Gotcha thanks. One other question but this may should go to the MR boards. I know how to use farecompare.com and other sites to find MRs based on miles.....but if I'm wanting quick turnarounds on segments how do I build that? I'm trying to slingshot out of MCI to DFW/ORD and some other place to get a round trip with six segments instead of my usual four at the lowest possible cost. TIA.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by YenSid1222

10 & 15

80 & 150
As opposed to the current:

5 & 10

0 & 0

?? Interesting.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by zipadee
.....but if I'm wanting quick turnarounds on segments how do I build that? I'm trying to slingshot out of MCI to DFW/ORD and some other place to get a round trip with six segments instead of my usual four at the lowest possible cost. TIA.
Try using the multi-city function on AA. If you pair cities that require a connection, you can put togehter a multi-segment itinerary fairly easily.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by justforfun
As opposed to the current:

5 & 10

0 & 0

?? Interesting.
Interesting, indeed, since (some) other airlines allow status match for, effectively

0 & 0

0 & 0

Although these are often one-time only, and the suppositions above would seem to imply that changes to allow AA challenges to be one-time-only are not as likely to be forthcoming as some might have hoped. If they're going to make money on them, no reason to limit the number of them.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by passinginterest
(link removed)
Not at all, actually.

At this point, everyone is purely speculating. There is no real info posted anywhere.

And what's hilarious is that TB references FT, FT references TB. You've got to admit that the circular nature of it all is pretty darn funny.

Last edited by Plato90s; Nov 12, 2008 at 9:55 pm
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justforfun
Not at all, actually.

At this point, everyone is purely speculating. There is no real info posted anywhere.

And what's hilarious is that TB references FT, FT references TB. You've got to admit that the circular nature of it all is pretty darn funny.
So... in your humble estimation which source is likely to be proved more reliable?

mike
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Interesting, indeed, since (some) other airlines allow status match for, effectively

0 & 0

0 & 0

Although these are often one-time only, and the suppositions above would seem to imply that changes to allow AA challenges to be one-time-only are not as likely to be forthcoming as some might have hoped. If they're going to make money on them, no reason to limit the number of them.

Cheers.
There is an appreciable difference in "making money" as opposed to defraying some associated costs, is there not? ( even in light of /or despite of the current screwed up economic environment) and would your conclusion still hold any weight if AA put the charges at say $5 and $10?

mike
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:26 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
There is an appreciable difference in "making money" as opposed to defraying some associated costs, is there not? ( even in light of /or despite of the current screwed up economic environment) and would your conclusion still hold any weight if AA put the charges at say $5 and $10?

mike
It would definitely be a different conclusion in that case. The amount of the charge is very relevant to the claim I'm making, to be sure. A minor amount would be for defraying costs. I think, however, that $80 or $150 is more about making a small amount of profit. But this is still all speculation.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by brp
It would definitely be a different conclusion in that case. The amount of the charge is very relevant to the claim I'm making, to be sure. A minor amount would be for defraying costs. I think, however, that $80 or $150 is more about making a small amount of profit. But this is still all speculation.

Cheers.
Staying in the realm of speculation vis-a-vis challenge fees: 80.00 or 150.00 may be high enough to discourage some from doing the challenge. I signed my niece (13 years old) and nephew (11 years old) up for a PLT challenge b/c I knew based on holiday travel last year they'd reach the 10K points, so why not? I wouldn't have done it if it required the points + $160. or $300.00

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.