Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xCheesePope
I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered before but the search doesn't yield helpful results and I don't really have the time to read through 200+ pages.
Did you check the wiki mentioned in the "Unofficial User's Guide" thread, specifically the section on challenges? That is considerably less than 200 pages.

(Answers are Yes, and 2011)

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Did you check the wiki mentioned in the "Unofficial User's Guide" thread, specifically the section on challenges? That is considerably less than 200 pages.

(Answers are Yes, and 2011)

Cheers.
Thank You.

xCheesePope
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OK, so like many other posts in this thread, I too am considering a challenge. I have 4 LAX-BOS RT's booked at the low O & Q fares. My question is related to the following text from the Wiki page:
If you are attempting to begin a Platinum Challenge after completing a Gold Challenge, the whole 3-month / 90-day Gold Challenge period must end before the Platinum Challenge may begin even if you have earned 5,000 points to complete the Gold Challenge before the end of the challenge period. (This info provided by AAdvantage rep on 5/6/2008.)
Does anyone know if this is still accurate? If I sign up for a Gold challenge to begin May 1, would I be able to upgrade my challenge to a Plat challenge (pay the fee) after my 2nd RT is complete? Or do I simply wait until my 4 RT's are complete and I have over 10,000 pts to call and upgrade?

If it's the latter, will they give me any 100% bonus RDM's retroactively vs the 25% bonus RDM's?
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AA Nothing to PLT in 36 hours, and great AA service!

Just finished my first true MR and my Platinum challenge... SAN-SJC-DFW-FLL-DFW-SJC-SAN for $866ai RT in First (P) for 8,900 EQPs. Add that to last week's PSP-SFO-PSP day trip on AS and I'm back to PLT.

Four great mainline flights with terrific crews (especially Catherine FLL-DFW and Paula DFW-SJC)... out and back in 36 relaxing hours. ^
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered before but the search doesn't yield helpful results and I don't really have the time to read through 200+ pages.

1. Do already booked arrangements (ie: prior to enrolling in a challenge) count towards your EQPs?

If YES...

2. I have a DFW-YVR (Y) and ANC-DFW (F) trip(s) planned after June 16th, so if I call them on June 17th and ask to enroll will the status (earned from challenge) continue until Feb 2011 or Feb 2010?

Thanks,
xCheesePope
1. Yes
2. As noted in multiple places, challenges started June 16 or later give access for another year AFTER the current year.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:22 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I have a DFW-YVR (Y) and ANC-DFW (F) trip(s) planned after June 16th, so if I call them on June 17th and ask to enroll will the status (earned from challenge) continue until Feb 2011 or Feb 2010?
Welcome to FT!

You can call them before June 16. Just make sure the challenge starts on June 16.

I assume your flight is between June 16 - July 1 ? Otherwise there's no point in starting the challenge on June 16 because you only lose time.

Also, make sure you will earn enough points for the challenge that you actually register for. For example if you sign up for Gold (5K points required) and earn 5K points, you will become Gold. That much is obvious. What may not be obvious to some is that if you sign up for Platinum (10K points required) and earn 5K points, or even 9K points, you will not become Gold by default.

Last edited by aktchi; Apr 23, 2009 at 12:29 am
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Just finished my first true MR and my Platinum challenge... SAN-SJC-DFW-FLL-DFW-SJC-SAN for $866ai RT in First (P) for 8,900 EQPs. Add that to last week's PSP-SFO-PSP day trip on AS and I'm back to PLT.

Four great mainline flights with terrific crews (especially Catherine FLL-DFW and Paula DFW-SJC)... out and back in 36 relaxing hours. ^
Woohoo congrats!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 5:09 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by mvoight
1. Yes
2. As noted in multiple places, challenges started June 16 or later give access for another year AFTER the current year.
That stinks, doesn't it?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 5:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO777

Good job, now you have 8 months of plat.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Good job, now you have 8 months of plat.
Am starting three weeks of DBEQM marathon runs on Monday, so I should have EXP thru 2/11 at least.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum, ANA Loser Status
Just want the experts opinion and validation ...

I am an expat living in Japan. I have Platinum status on Delta -- because that is what the US sub of my company uses. Sad thing is for me -- the home company - which I am now working for - uses AA for flights back and forth to the US.

So I need to get status on AA in a big way (I have none right now). I am thinking of signing up for the Platinum challenge before my three week home leave trip in June (I will be hoping around the US - hitting Nashville, Rochester, San Fran, then back to Tokyo). Here is the itinerary:

NRT-ORD-BNA -- B code Economy (6669 miles)
BNA-ORD-ROC -- B code Economy (935 miles)
JFK - SFO - B code Economy (2580 miles)
SFO-LAX-NRT - B code Economy (5778 miles)

If I read the wiki right -- since these are B code, I should have enough there to easily get the 10k points (since B code is 1.5 per mile). IN fact, the first leg should do it (just).

These flights are only reserved right now - and not ticketed. Is there any exclusion when you sign up for a challenge that currently reserved or ticketed flights cannot be used for the challenge?

Am I missing something? Are there any other specials out there I should be signing up for? Thanks a ton!

Last edited by Qwiklap; Apr 26, 2009 at 3:43 am
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Qwiklap
I am an expat living in Japan. I have Platinum status on Delta -- because that is what the US sub of my company uses. Sad thing is for me -- the home company - which I am now working for - uses AA for flights back and forth to the US.

So I need to get status on AA in a big way (I have none right now). I am thinking of signing up for the Platinum challenge before my three week home leave trip in June (I will be hoping around the US - hitting Nashville, Rochester, San Fran, then back to Tokyo). Here is the itinerary:

NRT-ORD-BNA -- B code Economy (6669 miles)
BNA-ORD-ROC -- B code Economy (935 miles)
JFK - SFO - B code Economy (2580 miles)
SFO-LAX-NRT - B code Economy (5778 miles)

If I read the wiki right -- since these are B code, I should have enough there to easily get the 10k points (since B code is 1.5 per mile). IN fact, the first leg should do it (just).

These flights are only reserved right now - and not ticketed. Is there any exclusion when you sign up for a challenge that currently reserved or ticketed flights cannot be used for the challenge?

Am I missing something? Are there any other specials out there I should be signing up for? Thanks a ton!
Yes, you are correct that "B" fares earn 1.5 points, so your upcoming trip will qualify for PLT w/no problem -- provided the int'l flights are on AA (not codeshares on JAL). It doesn't matter if the flights are already reserved. You should be aware that if you start the challenge on/after June 16, then your PLT status will last until Feb 2011 while those started on June 1 will result in PLT status only until Feb 2010

Since you'll hit PLT on the outbound, you'll have Admirals Club access on your return. You'll also earn a lot of miles b/c of the 100% bonus associated with PLT.

Do you have any AA miles? If so, you might consider looking into upgrading your int'l flight to business class. It would only be 15,000 miles each way ..
Old Apr 26, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Does anyone know if the status buy back is valid, if you earned the status via a challenge? ( At least assuming the rules in effect for 2008-2009 do not change)
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Does anyone know if the status buy back is valid, if you earned the status via a challenge? ( At least assuming the rules in effect for 2008-2009 do not change)
On aa.com, the buyback information is somewhat cryptic in this regard, since it states specifically that PLT member who earned their 2008 status are eligible. And then the fine print further states:

To earn 2008 AAdvantage Platinum status, a member must have earned 50,000 elite qualifying miles or points or earned 60 segments in 2007.

To my mind, that pretty clearly excludes those who became elite via a challenge.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
On aa.com, the buyback information is somewhat cryptic in this regard, since it states specifically that PLT member who earned their 2008 status are eligible. And then the fine print further states:

To earn 2008 AAdvantage Platinum status, a member must have earned 50,000 elite qualifying miles or points or earned 60 segments in 2007.

To my mind, that pretty clearly excludes those who became elite via a challenge.
That is what I was wondering about. Your interpretation sounds valid. I was wondering if anyone who was expired/expiring PLAT by challenge tried to sign up for status buyback and what the result was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.