FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:01 pm
doodiedan

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OK, so like many other posts in this thread, I too am considering a challenge. I have 4 LAX-BOS RT's booked at the low O & Q fares. My question is related to the following text from the Wiki page:
If you are attempting to begin a Platinum Challenge after completing a Gold Challenge, the whole 3-month / 90-day Gold Challenge period must end before the Platinum Challenge may begin even if you have earned 5,000 points to complete the Gold Challenge before the end of the challenge period. (This info provided by AAdvantage rep on 5/6/2008.)
Does anyone know if this is still accurate? If I sign up for a Gold challenge to begin May 1, would I be able to upgrade my challenge to a Plat challenge (pay the fee) after my 2nd RT is complete? Or do I simply wait until my 4 RT's are complete and I have over 10,000 pts to call and upgrade?

If it's the latter, will they give me any 100% bonus RDM's retroactively vs the 25% bonus RDM's?