Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by lemfc
...with an entry of PLT Challenge GLD member...
Could you post the entry exactly as written on aa.com? I don't understand the "PLT Challenge GLD member" part.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Exact Entry

Sure - it posted on my March AAdvantage account miles summary as an entry:

02/17/09 PLT CHALLENGE BONUS-GLD MEMBER 0 760 760

(With the first 0 after member being in the miles colum, 760 in the bonus column and the last 760 in the Total column).
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Could you post the entry exactly as written on aa.com? I don't understand the "PLT Challenge GLD member" part.
That's exactlywhat posted in my account when I challenged a couple of years back. I presume it means you were gold when you started the challenge so they are recognising the fact you've already received the 25% GLD bonus when the flight originally posted and this bonus is the just the 75% difference to top it up to the 100% PLT bonus now your status has been updated.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by lemfc
Sure - it posted on my March AAdvantage account miles summary as an entry:

02/17/09 PLT CHALLENGE BONUS-GLD MEMBER 0 760 760
Originally Posted by britenbsas
That's exactlywhat posted in my account when I challenged a couple of years back.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:45 pm

Gold Challenge

I've read the FAQ on the challenges, but I'm unclear as to whether an already booked trip can count towards the challenge.

Example: RT Flight already booked from DFW to EZE for September. If I call in July or August to enroll in the challenge does that count towards the challenge? Or do you have to book the flight after enrolling in the challenge?

Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I'm a bit of a newbie myself, but yes, as far as I know, and I tried to do a challenge myself (and failed!), you do not have to enroll before you reserve. Challenge starts either on the 1st or 16th and its three months from there. You can start from either one. You do have to start the challenge before you fly though, but not before you reserve

good luck with your challenge, and I assume you're aware you have to pay to enroll in a challenge now
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Yes. That would qualify.

You can have the flights booked in advance of when you call them and give the start date and money for the challenge.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dashaygen
I've read the FAQ on the challenges, but I'm unclear as to whether an already booked trip can count towards the challenge.

Example: RT Flight already booked from DFW to EZE for September. If I call in July or August to enroll in the challenge does that count towards the challenge? Or do you have to book the flight after enrolling in the challenge?

Thanks.
Welcome to FT dashaygen. There are no restrictions on when your ticket was purchased. All relevant flights that you fly within your challenge period will count, including those purchased before signing up for the challenge.

You may want to post future questions regarding challenges in the sticky which you will find at the top of the AA forum.

"AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges"
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:53 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by closetasfan
IYou do have to start the challenge before you fly though, but not before you reserve
Technically incorrect.

You have to call to start the challenge before the flights post.

I was finally able to "swing" the double challenge to engage (after call attempts for weeks--don't bother to try now as you can't with the fees) about 65 hours after my series of 15 flights started, mere hours before the first flights posted online.

Pulling that off in time made my life a lot easier starting out in this game.

Steve
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA EC Peasant, AAdvantage Platinum
How quickly does status update?

I'm taking a platinum challenge, and will (all being well) complete the challenge on an AA flight on Monday.

Myself and Mrs blaknail will then be flying AA again on the Wednesday, two days afterwards.

Will the system update quick enough to let me use the new status on that flight, in particular lounge access (an international flight from LHR)? If not, is there anything I can do to hurry it along?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
blaknail- Try this link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ing-miles.html
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA LT Gold, Marriott Gold
new plat

Hi,
My first post, although I have been lurking for several months. Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

Started as Gold this year with many long-distance trips planned this spring (ORD - OGG, ORD - Dub, ORD - LYS) so I registered for a Platinum challenge. All segments in O or Q (points = .5 miles). AAdvantage agent calculated that challenge would be met in the middle of my second trip. Much to my surprise my status changed to Platinum two days after completion of my first r/t. I called AA to confirm and they did but I have not received an email and of course no new cards yet (it happened only last week).

Is this a mistake? Can they take my status away once it is posted? Trip to Dublin is in a week, so would like to have status for that.....
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by sstcobra
Hi,
My first post, although I have been lurking for several months. Thanks for all of the helpful advice!

Started as Gold this year with many long-distance trips planned this spring (ORD - OGG, ORD - Dub, ORD - LYS) so I registered for a Platinum challenge. All segments in O or Q (points = .5 miles). AAdvantage agent calculated that challenge would be met in the middle of my second trip. Much to my surprise my status changed to Platinum two days after completion of my first r/t. I called AA to confirm and they did but I have not received an email and of course no new cards yet (it happened only last week).

Is this a mistake? Can they take my status away once it is posted? Trip to Dublin is in a week, so would like to have status for that.....
Sounds like they made a mistake and caught it.
Yes, they can take anything back, cancel your flight, take away your points. Numerous threads on here about people violating t&c's and getting everything taken away. People that call when something goes wrong in thier favor, cause a lot of people to suffer all of the time.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD; DL Gold
TATL Q and O fares

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
The last date I see (it refers to a GLD challenge) mentioned on the wiki page letter is dated May 2008. The thread pj2 linked was started in late 2008.

You are wise to be cautious, and it certainly won't hurt to call AA and double-check for yourself, but you will find that the advice you were given is correct and your TATL Q fares will earn points toward the challenge.

The reason the Q fare is asterisked in the sample challenge letter is not because TATL Q fares were excluded only from earning challenging points, it is because until recently, TATL Q fares did not earn elite qualifying points at all. NO EQP, no points towards a challenge. Now that TATL Q fares do earn EQP, there is no reason to believe those points won't count toward fulfilling a challenge.
Can someone confirm from experience that the old asterisks (that have haunted me for weeks) have really been eliminated? I am counting on a STL-DFW-FRA trip that is all in Q for a PLT challenge. And out of curiosity, even if the TATL leg would not have counted, would the STL-DFW segment have given me EQP towards my challenge?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by minerj6
Can someone confirm from experience that the old asterisks (that have haunted me for weeks) have really been eliminated?
Yes.

Originally Posted by minerj6
And out of curiosity, even if the TATL leg would not have counted, would the STL-DFW segment have given me EQP towards my challenge?
Yes, at the rate of .5 EQP/EQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.