Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Registration period changed?

Called AAdvantage customer service yesterday to register for a Platinum Challenge starting 1 Nov.

Representative asked me to call back end September. That's only one month upfront. Has the period changed?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Representative asked me to call back end September. That's only one month upfront. Has the period changed?
The length of time to complete a challenge has not changed. I'm not sure, though, why you are concerned about "only one month upfront" or why you think that indicates the challenge period has changed.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:18 am

Called AAdvantage customer service yesterday to register for a Platinum Challenge starting 1 Nov.

Representative asked me to call back end September.
That is consistent with my experience. The wiki says "you can request a specific start date (within the next few months)" but I think it is more like 1-2 months ahead.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat

Why start Nov 1 and not Sept 1? The challenge is 90s days, but I don't think it crosses year boundaries, so I don't know what the point of picking a start date after September would be.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by _kurt
That is consistent with my experience. The wiki says "you can request a specific start date (within the next few months)" but I think it is more like 1-2 months ahead.
There are frequent reports, especially in recent years, that sometimes hallengers have been required to wait to sign up until a date close to the desired start date. Sometimes these requests portend a change of some sort, most often in pricing.

Originally Posted by qbrain
Why start Nov 1 and not Sept 1? The challenge is 90s days, but I don't think it crosses year boundaries, so I don't know what the point of picking a start date after September would be.
The challenge is a three-month period (not always exactly 90 days) that may be started on the 1st or 16th of any month. The calendar year has no bearing on completing a challenge (it doees effect how long status lasts, but not completion of the challenge itself.)

The point of picking a start date in November rather than September? Ask yourself the reverse, if one does not plan to fly in September or October is there any point to signing up for a challenge that during that period?

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Aug 11, 2010 at 1:20 pm
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Question on codeshare flights:

I just booked a flight on the Alaska Air website, the same flight has an AA Flight number on AA.com. I entered my AAdvantage number upon booking.

Will this flight count toward my challenge elite points?

I called the AA Exec Plat desk (used my dad's number), and the rep said that it would count as long as the same flight has a AA Flight number, and it does not matter where I booked the flight, AlaksaAir.com or AA.com.

I have read some conflicting information on this in the thread. If anyone could provide a definitive answer, I would appreciate the help.

-PJ
Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack

I just booked a flight on the Alaska Air website, the same flight has an AA Flight number on AA.com. I entered my AAdvantage number upon booking.
The issue is not whether there "is" a codeshare flight or where you booked it, but rather for the purposes of the challenge, are you booked on the codeshare flight. In other words, it will only count if you are flying AA Flight #______. The rules on the challenge are quite clear about this issue.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack

Will this flight count toward my challenge elite points?

I called the AA Exec Plat desk (used my dad's number), and the rep said that it would count as long as the same flight has a AA Flight number, and it does not matter where I booked the flight, AlaksaAir.com or AA.com.

I have read some conflicting information on this in the thread. If anyone could provide a definitive answer, I would appreciate the help.

-PJ
It doesn't matter whether the flight has an AA (codeshare) number, it matters whether you booked that AA number. It doesn't matter whether you booked on AA.com or AlaskaAir.com. It just matters what flight number you have booked- the AA or AS number. Pretty sure that this is the way it is now.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:57 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Psyclone*Jack, to add to bdemaria and brp's spot-on responses above, what does your reservation say? If it's an AS flight number, then it will not count toward the Challenge. If it's an AA flight number (perhaps with a note indicating Operated by Alaska Airlines), then it will count.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Executive, bmi DC, BA Exec, CO OnePass, AClub Gold
I do apologise if this has been asked already but this thread has now got so long it is difficult to find!
I just called AA aadvantage from the UK and was told the following:
Platinum Challenge is now either 240 or 250USD (agent didnt quite seem to know which)?
Also on the forum hand book and wiki it says its 150USD?

They wont advance elite status at all before I make my first flight? (I am currently not an AA Advantage member)
(I asked them this as I am currently UA prem exec and if I wanted to flew UA instead for my next trip to the USA I would have lounge access, where as with AA I will not)
If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me I would be very grateful :-)

Last edited by carledwards; Aug 14, 2010 at 7:21 am Reason: added more info
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by carledwards
I do apologise if this has been asked already but this thread has now got so long it is difficult to find!
I just called AA aadvantage from the UK and was told the following:
Platinum Challenge is now either 240 or 250USD (agent didnt quite seem to know which)?
Also on the forum hand book and wiki it says its 150USD?

They wont advance elite status at all before I make my first flight? (I am currently not an AA Advantage member)
(I asked them this as I am currently UA prem exec and if I wanted to flew UA instead for my next trip to the USA I would have lounge access, where as with AA I will not)
If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me I would be very grateful :-)
Not at all - the thread is not meant to be searchable - if you can't figure out the info in the wiki, then ask away - that's why the thread is here!

Last year, AA raised prices for Challenges starting in the 2nd half of the year, because the status lasts longer. There is a note in the wiki that 2nd half 2010 PLT Challenges are currently running $240.

# For Challenges starting Jun 16 – Dec 16, the fees increase to $100 Gold / $200 Platinum / $125 Upgrade, effective May 22, 2009. (NOTE: These prices are being updated as of May 2010. The GLD Challenge is now $150 / PLT Challenge is now reported to cost $240.)
Advancing GLD status when signing up for a PLT Challenge has been reported recently, but historically has not been the norm. If the first agent told you "no", then you might try the standard FT approach of calling back and getting a different agent.

Completing a Challenge

An AA Challenge is successfully completed when you earn the requisite number of points within the three month period after you sign up. In general, status is not conferred during the Challenge itself, however it has been reported that Platinum Challenge participants having elite status on another airline may be granted temporary GLD status immediately upon commencing the challenge.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:54 am

Question Wiki: Sequential Challenges

I'm updating the wiki and am not sure about this statement:
# You are not allowed to use a Challenge to re-attain status earned through a Challenge within the same year.
I think this refers to not being able to Challenge if you lost status on Mar 1 that year that was previously attained via a Challenge, but don't recall the rules. Can someone confirm? Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:41 am

Post Wiki: Upfaring Reservation

New section added to the Wiki entry. Feel free to edit/add as always.
Booking Flights for a Challenge

Deep Discount Economy fares only accrue 0.5 Points per mile. Thus, Challenge participants sometimes seek to book higher Discount Economy fares that accrue 1.0 Points per mile. However, the Economy Saver fare shown in AA.com Price and Schedule searches is often not the lowest published Discount Economy fare. Accordingly, the following procedure can be used to book that fare without incurring telephone booking fees:
  1. Identify the lowest published Discount Economy fare for your destination(s) and date(s). This can be done using fare tools such as Travelocity (free) or ExpertFlyer (paid subscription).
  2. Identify flights on which inventory for the lowest published Discount Economy fare is available. Inventory for specific routes and dates can be determined using ExpertFlyer's Flight Availability tool. Routes and dates having the desired inventory can also be identified using ITA flight searches in which a specific booking class(es) is specified using the ITA route language (example: "ORD:: aa /f bc=h").
  3. Note the full price (fare plus taxes and fees) of the desired itinerary at the specified fare using ITA as above.
  4. Place the desired itinerary on Hold at AA.com in the lowest available fare (can be Deep Discount Economy).
  5. Telephone AA Web Services or AA Reservations and ask them to change the fare ("upfare") to your desired fare class. Verify that the final price matches the price from ITA.
  6. Return to the Hold reservation on AA.com and complete the purchase online.
  7. In some cases, the itinerary may be repriced back to the lowest available fare upon attempting to complete the purchase. An alert will be displayed on AA.com if this is the case. If this happens, call AA Web Services or AA Reservations, explain that you cannot complete the purchase online at this higher fare, and ask them to process the purchase without charging the telephone booking fee. If they refuse, call back and get a different agent. Repeat as necessary.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:37 am

I'd like to complete a Platinum Challenge this fall, ideally at the least cost and in one trip. Right now, my top candidate is IAD or DCA to ANC via DFW at the Instant Upgrade "A" fare ($825 each way before taxes/fees). I'd arrive in ANC and get on the returning flight 75 minutes later, which is presumably doable because it's the same plane?

This gets me approximately 8000 miles * 1.5 = 12000 EQP for $1707.50, or $1542.50 if I use the Super Bowl discount code. Which is just under 13 cents per EQP, a bit more if you include the $240 challenge fee.

Am I missing an obvious, better way to do this? I played around with flying to other cities instead (e.g., SEA) but the numbers didn't add up to enough EQPs.

I suppose one way is to fly one leg of the trip to ANC at a Discount Economy fare, which presumably would put me just over 10000 EQP at a lower cost, but I couldn't figure out how to find such a fare using ITA...none of the codes I entered seemed to work.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
silentbob1974:

I have not researched this, but usually the best cpm method for earning 10K EQP is either to fly two domestic transcontinentals or one well chosen international flight. Tokyo NRT is a good one. Sometimes fares to SIN/HKG/BKK via NRT are lower. Most European destination will need creative routing.

BTW, the best cpm will mean economy, sadly. Business is obviously more comfortable if you can afford it, but cpm will be worse.

One needs to pay attention to how many points one will get per mile. That depends on the booking class and is one nontrivial aspect of the challenge.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.