Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2010, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Just a little note to let everybody know that plat challenge's are back down to 200$ (from 240$). Booked mine last week to start on October 1st.
If I enrolled Aug 16, do you think I can get a refund for the $40 ?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:59 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
If I enrolled Aug 16, do you think I can get a refund for the $40 ?
I would guess that the price change is for Challenges started in ≈Q4, but the reality is that there's only one way for you to find out the answer.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by cumbrianbill
Being UK based, would I be able to use the UK AA phone number to phone and sign up for a platinum challenge?

Thanks
You certainly can. I use skype, you can use the 0800 number and it's free.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
How do standby miles count for challenges?

Mrs CO FF has been GLD for years now, but has a TATL and 2 transcons in Q4, so it's time for her to make PLT. We could just let her fly her flights, and she'd qualify on the last flight of the year, or I could get her in a challenge.

Her TATL is LAX-ORD-XXX. If she flies LAX-DFW-DEN-ORD, all on standby, before getting on ORD-XXX, will she get credit for her challenge (in her original fare basis (N),of course) for the extra 500 EQP based on the extra 1,000 miles?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:52 am

Gold is $120 at the moment (16 Oct 10).

Agent said I didn't have to do anything to change gold to plat challenge - get 10k, call them, pay the additional fee, get instant plat instead of gold. I think I'll call after the 5k step just to be safe.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
I've got an AA coded flight AUH-ORD (7275 miles) in a 1.5 EQP fare class which should be enough for a plat challenge in one flight I think. Since my flight is in January, before the 16th, I should sign up on the 1st of Jan so I get the cheaper first half of the year rate right?

If so, can I do it before Jan 1, or only on the day?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:26 pm

Silly Question

I know that earning status the normal way operates on a calendar year. However, I'm planning a TATL trip in Discount Biz (I), ATL-DFW-MAD, departing end of 2010 returning beginning of 2011.

Using the 3 month criteria, I would satisfy the requirements, but it would split the calendar year. Any clarification?

Also, (I'm new to AA) I haven't done much reading on the EQM vs. EQP. If I'm flying in Biz, EQM are 150% of miles flown, and EQP is 1.5 x miles flown, correct? So on the 17k (this is calculated with 50% bonus) mile ATL-DFW-MAD trip, I would easily clear the 10k challenge...I think.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by johnv621
I know that earning status the normal way operates on a calendar year. However, I'm planning a TATL trip in Discount Biz (I), ATL-DFW-MAD, departing end of 2010 returning beginning of 2011.

Using the 3 month criteria, I would satisfy the requirements, but it would split the calendar year. Any clarification?

Also, (I'm new to AA) I haven't done much reading on the EQM vs. EQP. If I'm flying in Biz, EQM are 150% of miles flown, and EQP is 1.5 x miles flown, correct? So on the 17k (this is calculated with 50% bonus) mile ATL-DFW-MAD trip, I would easily clear the 10k challenge...I think.

Thanks!
Challenges may split years

You have a misunderstanding about the EQM/EQP/RDM earnings. I recommend this section of the AA Wiki as a good read:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...igibility_(AA)

Bonus miles for flying in business and/or first are -redeemable- miles and do not count toward status (unless you are trying to achieve lifetime status by crossing 1 MM/2MM thresholds)

EDITED TO ADD (and noted by Hagbard Viking below): Make sure you are calculating based on EQP (POINTS), as that's what challenges are based on.

Last edited by miamigrad; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
No problem. As long as your flights are within the 3-month challenge window it doesn't matter if they are split over two calendar years.

No, EQM (on AA flights) is 100% regardless of class. However, EQM is irrelevant for challenges, they are based solely on EQP which in I class is 150% of flown miles. So, for ATL-DFW-MAD which is around 5,700 miles you will earn around 8,500 EQP. Assuming your return flight is within the challenge window you will qualify for PLT on the MAD-DFW leg. You need to make sure the flights are booked under AA code, otherwise they will not count toward the challenge even though they earn EQM and EQP.

Last edited by Hagbard Viking; Oct 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by qasr
I've got an AA coded flight AUH-ORD (7275 miles) in a 1.5 EQP fare class which should be enough for a plat challenge in one flight I think. Since my flight is in January, before the 16th, I should sign up on the 1st of Jan so I get the cheaper first half of the year rate right?

If so, can I do it before Jan 1, or only on the day?
You can subscribe for the challenge earlier. Just give Jan 1 as the date you would like to start the challenge. You can probably call about one month upfront.

It used to be possible to subscribe up to 3 months upfront. Since recently it seems only possible one month upfront. I started mine in October and could subscribe as of September.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
You can subscribe for the challenge earlier. Just give Jan 1 as the date you would like to start the challenge. You can probably call about one month upfront.
Thanks.

Yep, my math agrees with yours.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:26 am

How do I sign up for the AA Challenge?

Hi there - was hoping someone could send me the info needed to sign up for the AA Challenge (Gold or Platinum). I am going to be doing a considerable amount of business travel so would like to participate.

Is there a number that I should call?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fififofum
Hi there - was hoping someone could send me the info needed to sign up for the AA Challenge (Gold or Platinum). I am going to be doing a considerable amount of business travel so would like to participate.

Thanks!
You should contact AAdvantage Customer Service. Number is on their web site.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by fififofum

Thanks!
Welcome to FT.

If you navigate to the first post in this thread, you'll see the link to the AA Wiki, specifically, there is a link on the challenges: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

Not only is it good (and helpful) reading, but it also explains how to sign up for the challenge (hint: To enroll in a challenge, call AAdvantage customer service at +1 800-882-8880)
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA, DL, CO,BA
To Challenge or Not to Challenge: That is the Question. Advice very much welcome.

Hi, Flyertalkers!

I've made a few posts on this forum, and just want to thank everyone for this great resource. I've contributed the odd tidbit when I can, but mostly observed and learned.

I would love if a couple of the AAdvantage sages could offer me a bit of advice.

Here's my situation. I am London based, and on Oct. 15 I will begin 5 weeks or so of travel (not a mileage run, all planned trips) all on AA or AA flight numbers on AS. I will have enough EQP during this trip to make the Platinum Challenge.

So here's my question: Is it worth doing? I fly a fair bit (mostly transatlantic) and am UK based at the moment, with family in the USA. I'm currently Gold with AA, and will probably just requalify for gold by year-end. Cost is my main concern with travel, so not all my flights are AA- I and hubby do a couple short trips a year on Air Degradation, otherwise known as Ryanair/Easyjet, and sometimes we take advantage of transatlantic fare sales on non OneWorld airlines, if they are especially cheap.

Reason I'm thinking of doing this, is the lounge access and the double miles on both AA and BA. So what do you think- is Platinum much better than Gold, and is it worth $200-240? (whichever is the current cost of a challenge)

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.