Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
All AA published flights that earn miles earn EQP, 0.5 ~ 1.5 per mile. And Iberia flight will not count for a Challenge, unless it is booked as an AA codeshare (which would require a connection to an AA flight at MAD).

Originally Posted by esmalley007
My gf and I just returned from LAS and she now has 4,989 points towards her gold challenge. I was wondering if all AA flights give eqps or is there a minimum mileage requirement.

If she flies one way MIA to MCO, will she receive the eqps? She also has an Iberia flight in September from BCN to MAD but I believe those points don't count towards the challenge, correct?

Thanks,

Eric
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Microwave
If esmalley007's partner has currently accrued 4989 EQP against a challenge of 5000, any AA one-way flight on any fare would earn sufficient EQPs to put her over the top. At only 11 EQPs short, even ORD-MKE on a deep discount economy fare at 33 EQPs would work, and I believe that's the shortest AA/Eagle/Connection flight currently existent.
I misread that as 4889

Thanks for the swift correction.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:11 pm

Quick question -- if I start a (plat) challenge and hit gold (or am granted gold) early on, does the challenge point accrual include 500 mile minimums (so 250 minimum eqp/segment)?

It certainly seems like this should be the case, but I haven't been able to find an answer, and I figure a correct answer is more likely to come from here than from AA phone support.

thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Averroes
Quick question -- if I start a (plat) challenge and hit gold (or am granted gold) early on, does the challenge point accrual include 500 mile minimums (so 250 minimum eqp/segment)?

It certainly seems like this should be the case, but I haven't been able to find an answer, and I figure a correct answer is more likely to come from here than from AA phone support.

According to the wiki article on the challenge (which was written before 500 miles minimums were taken away from non-status members) the minimums (250/500/750) do count for challenge point accrual. Considering the whole challenge program seems to assess your progress automatically based on EQP earning, granting status promptly after relevant miles post, it stands to reason that this is still the case.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
According to the wiki article on the challenge (which was written before 500 miles minimums were taken away from non-status members) the minimums (250/500/750) do count for challenge point accrual. Considering the whole challenge program seems to assess your progress automatically based on EQP earning, granting status promptly after relevant miles post, it stands to reason that this is still the case.
You need to call if you want GLD midway through a PLT challenge. Until that happens (and possibly, until AA has updated your reservations with your new status), I would not count on 500mi minimums.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
You need to call if you want GLD midway through a PLT challenge. Until that happens (and possibly, until AA has updated your reservations with your new status), I would not count on 500mi minimums.
That is definitely true. Gold is not automatically awarded at 5000 EQP during a Plat challenge, that is simply a request that is usually honored. I meant that the status change for when the full challenge requirements are met seems to be automatic and I highly doubt AA's systems are sophisticated enough to differentiate between minimum EQP awarded to elites and actual earned mileage.

Mileage earning is not affected by if your status has been updating in reservations. If a plat's BP says gold they will still automatically earn a 100% RDM, for example.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:05 pm

Cool. I totally missed that line in the wiki.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
It pains me to see all of you hit the PLT challenge in one or two flights. I started June 16, finishing Sept 15th. To date I've accumulated 5708 EQP's on the following flights:

DFW-SAV-DFW
DFW-PHL-DFW
DFW-LAX-DFW
DFW-MCI-DFW
DFW-IAH-DFW

I'm going to hit it without fail as I travel weekly, however these 0.5 EQP flights are killing me. I cannot (with a sound mind) book at the much higher rates that incur 1.0 (or even 1.5) EQP's.

<-- doesn't do any international travel.... It's a damn shame I was MVP Gold on AS and AA doesn't recognize anything. Fortunately I have a ton of miles to use on AS, but being out of DFW, I can only go back to SEA to recognize full value.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Marriott Lifetime Silver; IHG Plat Amb; Hilton Diamond

I requested a Plat challenge on Thursday before heading to HNL for my return flight to DCA. I backdated it to Jul 16 to get credit for the outbound flight and asked if they would bump me up to Gold since I'm Silver with Delta. They did it without hesitation. This would have made me eligible for a 500mile minimum if there had been one. An open jaw from east coast to LAX and back in V-class (on someone else's dime!) and I'll be Plat on 8/18. About $665 out of pocket costs for me.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
I had the same experience when I signed up for a platinum challenge this summer. They didn't offer Gold outright, but when I asked, they happily gave it to me, no questions asked.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by 1pRoscoe
Fortunately I have a ton of miles to use on AS, but being out of DFW, I can only go back to SEA to recognize full value.
This is a bit off topic, but you wouldn't have to come back to Seattle to use your AS miles; you can use them on AA or DL, and several airlines internationally. AS will want you to fly their metal to get to a gateway if the airline you're looking for doesn't serve DFW--however, QF, BA, KL (seasonally) and KE all serve DFW directly, so no gateway travel would be needed for those airlines if you snag the non-stops.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:58 am

It pains me to see all of you hit the PLT challenge in one or two flights. I started June 16, finishing Sept 15th. To date I've accumulated 5708 EQP's on the following flights:
I feel your pain. I'm at 25 segments now, have 21 more booked, and need 4 more to reach 10k eqp during my likely challenge window. Even though I'm flying 20k eqms, it'll still be cheaper to pay the challenge fee than to add the 10 more segments I'd need to qualify normally. At least I'll have gold (worst-case) after my next r/t.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I feel your pain. I'm at 25 segments now, have 21 more booked, and need 4 more to reach 10k eqp during my likely challenge window. Even though I'm flying 20k eqms, it'll still be cheaper to pay the challenge fee than to add the 10 more segments I'd need to qualify normally. At least I'll have gold (worst-case) after my next r/t.
This can't possibly be right. If you have GLD status, which you should if you paid for a PLT challenge and asked for it, the MAXIMUM segments it would take is 40, since you'd get the 500 mile/250 EQP minimum per segment.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
<-- doesn't do any international travel.... It's a damn shame I was MVP Gold on AS and AA doesn't recognize anything. Fortunately I have a ton of miles to use on AS, but being out of DFW, I can only go back to SEA to recognize full value.
Not true, but know what you mean. You can credit your AA flights to your AS account, and redeem from your AS account on AS, AA and DL.

Your STATUS earned, however, would be on AS and wouldn't count on AA, so your travel would be more miserable.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by mreed911
This can't possibly be right. If you have GLD status, which you should if you paid for a PLT challenge and asked for it, the MAXIMUM segments it would take is 40, since you'd get the 500 mile/250 EQP minimum per segment.
Averroes will be gold after next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.