Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Am I understanding this correctly that if I book a BOS-LHR(aa)-SYD(ba/qf) on ba.com only the AA metal leg would be eligible for a plat challenge run?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by psyflyer
Am I understanding this correctly that if I book a BOS-LHR(aa)-SYD(ba/qf) on ba.com only the AA metal leg would be eligible for a plat challenge run?
As long as you book the AA flight number, the EQPs you earn on any flight will count toward the challenge. Perhaps you should consider BOS-LAX-SYD? It would be MUCH less travel time, and LAX-SYD has an AA codeshare that would earn you EQPs on that flight too.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by Microwave
As long as you book the AA flight number, the EQPs you earn on any flight will count toward the challenge. Perhaps you should consider BOS-LAX-SYD? It would be MUCH less travel time, and LAX-SYD has an AA codeshare that would earn you EQPs on that flight too.
Im going the long way as its cheaper, I normally go via the west coast. In many years of traveling this route I have never seen the long way cheaper in full J. Thanks for your post and your help but when you say book the "AA flight number" you mean through aa.com so to confirm codeshare? I would be buying this via ba.com as its cheaper and ba.com only shows the ba number or ba's codeshare. Any ideas how to see if the flights on ba.com are aa codeshare?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by psyflyer
when you say book the "AA flight number" you mean through aa.com so to confirm codeshare? I would be buying this via ba.com as its cheaper and ba.com only shows the ba number or ba's codeshare. Any ideas how to see if the flights on ba.com are aa codeshare?
A flight needn't be booked through aa.com to qualify for the challenge. You just have to be sure you book the AA flight number. To exemplify the concept of codeshares: AA currently operate three daily flights from BOS to LHR, and the AA flight numbers are 156, 108 and 124. Now since the JBV launched with BA, BA also codeshares on these same flights, placing their own BA flight numbers on them and marketing those flights on their own, but when you get to the airport you board an AA flight; those BA flight numbers for the exact same flights are 1503, 1523 and 1525. On the flipside, BA operate three of their own flights every day from BOS to LHR, and those BA flight numbers are 238, 212 and 214. However, with the JBV in force AA also place their code on those flights, and you can buy them as if they were AA flights, but board a BA plane to take your trip. The AA flight numbers for those exact same flights are 6175, 6163 and 6115--so, for example, if you be sure to book AA flight 6163, you'll be boarding BA flight 212 to Heathrow, arriving at T5 and all that, but AA would treat it as an AA flight, the points would count toward the challenge and EQM would accrue as if it were an AA flight.

My guess is that BA's website will sell you BA flight numbers, which would negate any points counting toward the challenge. My suggestion is to try to build the exact same itinerary on aa.com by selecting More Flight Search Options under the main search and under Choose A Carrier selecting AA, American Eagle, AmericanConnection and oneworld. This should return similar fares to what you're seeing over at BA's site, but show you at least the first flight with an AA flight number, which would make that flight challenge-qualifying, and should have a similar (if not exactly the same) fare.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I'm just wanted to get some confirmation before I purchased this flight that is qualifies for 1.5 points. It's an AA codeshare (AA 5411) that is operated by Air Nostrum for Iberia. The website says they only have one class of service and that my fare class is Y. I called the gold number and the rep connected me to the closed elite customer service desk.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Nerfgirl
I'm just wanted to get some confirmation before I purchased this flight that is qualifies for 1.5 points. It's an AA codeshare (AA 5411) that is operated by Air Nostrum for Iberia. The website says they only have one class of service and that my fare class is Y. I called the gold number and the rep connected me to the closed elite customer service desk.

Thanks for any help!
If you put the ticket on hold on aa.com and it shows as an AA flight in Y, you will get 1.5x EQPs. I'd be surprised if you could purchase it on a standalone basis, though, but things may have changed recently.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by vasantn
If you put the ticket on hold on aa.com and it shows as an AA flight in Y, you will get 1.5x EQPs. I'd be surprised if you could purchase it on a standalone basis, though, but things may have changed recently.
It does! Much appreciation for the help.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Need to do Plat Challenge from Shanghai

Hey all,

I'm trying to do a Plat challenge but am finding it difficult being based in Shanghai. Thought I had this in the bag with a flight booked on aa.com between PVG and DXB but just called AA and they told me it wouldn't count since it's a CX flight (even though there are no AA flights doing the route).

Any suggested routes I might be able to find which are cheaper than a CN-US transcon round trip but still meets the Plat challenge criteria (ie must be AA flight code, per my understanding).

AA doesn't operate much metal out here unless it's heading to the US. Everything I've checked on aa.com so far ends up being CX unless it's heading stateside.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum/Hertz Pres. Circle/Avis Grand Wizard/Wife's Favorite Husband
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Hey all,

I'm trying to do a Plat challenge but am finding it difficult being based in Shanghai. Thought I had this in the bag with a flight booked on aa.com between PVG and DXB but just called AA and they told me it wouldn't count since it's a CX flight (even though there are no AA flights doing the route).

Any suggested routes I might be able to find which are cheaper than a CN-US transcon round trip but still meets the Plat challenge criteria (ie must be AA flight code, per my understanding).

AA doesn't operate much metal out here unless it's heading to the US. Everything I've checked on aa.com so far ends up being CX unless it's heading stateside.
I think this is kind of funny, and at the same time Iīll cheer you on Iīd like to ask, why on earth are you trying to qualify for AA status when you donīt have AA flights around you?

Why donīt you go for Cathay or JAL or Quantas?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
have you started it?......take a vacation in the us and make sure you complete the challenge....sometimes not to bad fares can be found in oct....good luck
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by parvez
I think this is kind of funny, and at the same time Iīll cheer you on Iīd like to ask, why on earth are you trying to qualify for AA status when you donīt have AA flights around you?

Most likely because the OP wants lounge access? Otherwise, perhaps to plan for future AA flights.

OP, you are not going to find any AA codeshare/flight numbers unless it is part of the trip to the US. AA is not in the business of displaying its code on flights that it has no routing relation to.

If you really want to do the Platinum Challenge, I would do something like PVG-LAX-PVG or PVG-ORD-LAX-ORD-PVG. If you do the math and up-fare at least one of the segments to 1 EQP/1 mile, you should be able to make the challenge in one trip.

However, make sure you know why you are doing this. If you are still going to be flying CX or JL primarily, you are not going to earn much AA miles unless you pay up in fare class. Otherwise, you are just paying a thousand dollars of MR for 18 months of lounge access, which may be better spent on a Priority Pass membership.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A Challenge must indeed be on AA flights; a CX flight in Economy won't even earn AAdvantage miles, unless booked into the three highest / costliest fare codes (H, B and Y, iirc). From PVG, you will have to fly AA to the US (LAX or ORD), as AFAIK you will not be able to fly an AA codeshare unless connecing from another AA flight.

Hey all,

Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by parvez

Because I'm an US native and only overseas temporarily. Trying to get Lifetime Plat while I'm doing my 2 year stint flying around the world on the company dime. Figured I'd try to get a plat challenge up front so I can accumulate the miles at twice the normal rate.

The reason I ask is because DL, for example, has flights from PVG to NRT and back that I can do even though I'm here in PVG. Couldn't find anything similar with AA. Don't know if that's because it doesn't exist or I'm just not looking in the right places.

Was hoping someone has done some intra-Asia hops in AA in the past and could share.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:56 am

Because I'm an US native and only overseas temporarily. Trying to get Lifetime Plat while I'm doing my 2 year stint flying around the world on the company dime. Figured I'd try to get a plat challenge up front so I can accumulate the miles at twice the normal rate.

The reason I ask is because DL, for example, has flights from PVG to NRT and back that I can do even though I'm here in PVG. Couldn't find anything similar with AA. Don't know if that's because it doesn't exist or I'm just not looking in the right places.

Was hoping someone has done some intra-Asia hops in AA in the past and could share.
There is no such thing as intra-Asia flights on AA. As of now, unlike DL or UA, AA only flies to Asian gateways from the US, and rely on partners to carry passengers onward.

There have been increased rumors about change in lifetime program. Unless you are very, very close, to the lifetime threshold, the rules will likely change before you make any progress with your plan.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:03 am

Fair enough. I'll just have to do it on my trip back to the states in Oct. Was hoping to have Plat for that flight though.

Thanks anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.