Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:24 am

okay, so I've decided to throw in my $200 and sign up for the platinum challenge.
before I call AA, I just wanted to confirm a few things:

(1) my AAdvantage acct was opened in the US and I have always maintained
a US mailing address on record. is this enough to sign up for platinum challenge?
I'm asking because my primary actual residence is outside of the US. The ticket
was also paid for in foreign currency. AA can clearly see that I'm beginning my
trip from Argentina. Prior to the trip, I'm flying on UA to Argentina first.

(2) is it safe to say that I won't get my $200 back if for some reason I had to
cancel my entire trip at the very last minute? Is it safer for me to wait and call
AA to sign up for the challenge only a week before the start of my trip? Is that enough
to get the ball rolling?

(3) is it enough that my JL flights have my AAdvantage listed on them when
I'm viewing my reservation on AA? Or will I need to give the number to JL at
check-in again? Do JL flights(paid J class) count towards the platinum challenge?

(4) do I accumulate 100% mileage bonus as soon as I pass the 10,000 QP
requirement? if so, does it include the flight that crosses over the threshold?

(5) how long after I reach 10,000 points can I expect to receive my platinum card?

THANKS FOR ALL THE USEFUL INFORMATION!

Last edited by Argen_Tina; Sep 25, 2009 at 1:30 am
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Argen_Tina
okay, so I've decided to throw in my $200 and sign up for the platinum challenge.
before I call AA, I just wanted to confirm a few things:

(1) my AAdvantage acct was opened in the US and I have always maintained
a US mailing address on record. is this enough to sign up for platinum challenge?
I'm asking because my primary actual residence is outside of the US. The ticket
was also paid for in foreign currency. AA can clearly see that I'm beginning my
trip from Argentina. Prior to the trip, I'm flying on UA to Argentina first.
I have used only one address in my entire AA life, so I am no expert, but it should not even come up. You sign up with your AAdvantage number. They communicate with you via email. BTW, why are you flying UA? If there is an AA option, take it!

(2) is it safe to say that I won't get my $200 back if for some reason I had to
cancel my entire trip at the very last minute? Is it safer for me to wait and call AA to sign up for the challenge only a week before the start of my trip? Is that enough to get the ball rolling?
You can read the fine print, but I would think the $200 would be non-refundable. Challenges can begin on the 1st or 16th of any month. So if your flight begins on Nov 2, you should enroll before Oct 16.

(3) is it enough that my JL flights have my AAdvantage listed on them when
I'm viewing my reservation on AA? Or will I need to give the number to JL at
check-in again? Do JL flights(paid J class) count towards the platinum challenge?
If you bought tickets from AA, they would have communicated to JL. If from a TA, well double-check with JL. Actually you should double-check with JL anyway. JL flights will give you EQ Miles/Points, maybe fewer than AA would have and as dstan explains below they won't count towards the challenge, but it wouldn't change the game for you: I think you'd have successfully completed the challenge before your first JL flight. These JL EQ Miles/Points will count towards future requalification or EXP level.

(4) do I accumulate 100% mileage bonus as soon as I pass the 10,000 QP requirement? if so, does it include the flight that crosses over the threshold?
Yes, and yes.

(5) how long after I reach 10,000 points can I expect to receive my platinum card?

A few weeks? However, your boarding passes should start showing your status immediately and you should be able to access One World lounges too (when departing internationally on One World flights). The card will be mailed to your address on record, I hope someone would collect it for you?

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 25, 2009 at 3:13 pm
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:03 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
(3) is it enough that my JL flights have my AAdvantage listed on them when I'm viewing my reservation on AA? Or will I need to give the number to JL at check-in again? Do JL flights(paid J class) count towards the platinum challenge?
As long as your AAdvantage number is in the reservation, you should not need to reiterate at check-in, but just check your ticket stub.

However, while your JL flights will earn AA miles/points according to the normal rules [AA.com; wiki], unfortunately, those EQP will NOT count toward your Challenge UNLESS you booked the flights as an AA codeshare with an AA flight number on your ticket.

This is stated explicitly on the wiki Challenge page:
As of January 2007, only flights marketed by AA (with an AA flight number) are eligible for earning points that count towards the completion of a Challenge. You can still fly on a non-AA metal flight operated by a partner, but you must make sure that you have booked it with an AA codeshare flight number. (Previously, points earned on partner-marketed flights were eligible, but that is no longer the case).
Old Sep 25, 2009, 2:43 pm

[duplicate post]

Last edited by Argen_Tina; Sep 25, 2009 at 2:54 pm
Old Sep 25, 2009, 3:03 pm

[If Argen_Tina's post was duplicate then mine must have been too. Deleted pending clarification.]

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 25, 2009 at 3:11 pm
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
[If Argen_Tina's post was duplicate then mine must have been too. Deleted pending clarification.]

no my browswer was acting strange and I thought I had submitted a duplicate post... but apparently I didn't... but oh well....

I also just checked my AAdvantage acct but nothing shows that I'm signed up for the platinum challenge. Is this normal? I noticed there's also a elite rewards promotion for elite members. (the one below the double elite qualifying miles promotion) It won't let me register for the promotion... probably because I'm not elite yet. But since I'm doing the platinum challenge, will I be able to register once I go past the 5000 or 10000 points mark?

Thanks!

Tina
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
I also just checked my AAdvantage acct but nothing shows that I'm signed up for the platinum challenge. Is this normal?
Nothing will show on your AAdvantage acct. IIRC they send you a confirmation email - but maybe you needed to request it.

I noticed there's also a elite rewards promotion for elite members. (the one below the double elite qualifying miles promotion) It won't let me register for the promotion... probably because I'm not elite yet. But since I'm doing the platinum challenge, will I be able to register once I go past the 5000 or 10000 points mark?

Thanks!

Tina
If you have registered for the Platinum Challenge, then nothing special happens when you pass the 5,000EQP that would satisfy the Gold Challenge. You have to wait until you reach the 10,000EQP that satisfies your Platinum Challenge. Your status will then change to Platinum as soon as the EQPs post.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:58 pm

no my browswer was acting strange and I thought I had submitted a duplicate post... but apparently I didn't... but oh well....
In any event, best to leave that detailed story deleted. I was probably one of the very few who read it.

I also just checked my AAdvantage acct but nothing shows that I'm signed up for the platinum challenge. Is this normal?
Yes. (I tend to be over-careful about such matters, so I'd save the confirmation email and also make sure that my credit card was actually charged for $200. In case of any deviation, call again, or email since that is cheaper.)

I noticed there's also a elite rewards promotion...It won't let me register for the promotion... probably because I'm not elite yet. But since I'm doing the platinum challenge, will I be able to register once I go past the 5000 or 10000 points mark?
I am surprised as the T&C state: "...AAdvantage members who are AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold members as of December 31, 2009." Anyway, don't worry about it for now. Once you have earned your 10K points, you'd be able to register for it. Do it ASAP then, although in principle you have until Dec 15. (You are not registered for Gold, so nothing special happens at 5K.)

It is also the lesser of the two benefits. If you can, you should go for EXP, rather than a consolation "reward" for having missed EXP. Well depends on how close you will be to EXP. But register anyway, no harm in getting what you can.

Last edited by aktchi; Sep 25, 2009 at 11:24 pm
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:29 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by aktchi
In any event, best to leave that detailed story deleted. I was probably one of the very few who read it.
It'd actually be valuable to repost the information at some point, but perhaps not right now.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Very off topic here, but I'd recommend the OP look into a VOIP service like Skype to call USA numbers (and elsewhere) if she does so with any degree of regularity. My Skype program allows me to call any (cell or landline) phone in the USA and Canada unlimited by time for about USD $9.95 monthly, from anywhere in the world.

Back on topic, I'd also preserve the e-mail confirming the Challenge, and note the charge as it shows up in my credit card report, in case there is any difficulty, but we've not heard about any problems once someone has been accepted - even though not all receive the confirming e-mail.

It all probably seems more complicated than it actually is, but it will soon be over. Earn the 10,000 Elite-Qualifying Points, they post, you're Platinum / Sapphire. ¡Y ya!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
I am about to sign up for the platinum challenge later this year and I just wanted to double check that I did my math right and that I'll qualify.

Edit: Question solved, Thanks.

Last edited by skit53; Oct 2, 2009 at 2:38 pm
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Check the miles on Great Circle Mapper, multiply miles by points per mile on given fare, and there you have it: link - 10,065 by GC reckoning, and they are pretty close (even AA often varies month to month by a mile or two.)

Originally Posted by skit53
I am about to sign up for the platinum challenge later this year and I just wanted to double check that I did my math right and that I'll qualify.

Route and class I'm going to be flying:
etc. <redacted>

I think I'll end up with 10066 points. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm Reason: redact itinerary
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
Check the miles on Great Circle Mapper, multiply miles by points per mile on given fare, and there you have it: link - 10,065 by GC reckoning, and they are pretty close (even AA often varies month to month by a mile or two.)
Thanks, that's exactly what I did. I just wanted to double check I didn't screw up somewhere along the line. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
...even AA often varies month to month by a mile or two...
Must depend on which runway the flight lands at.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Data point that someone out there may find useful:

This no doubt applies to a small set of FTers , but an associate of mine just completed the PLT Challenge, flew just over 10K miles on a TATL.

The big deal is he did it on a Gov't Y ticket. Govt tickets are not upgradeable so we were wondering if AA would be accept that fare for a challenge and how many EQPs would be assigned..

Last edited by Gamecock; Oct 1, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.