Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:10 am

Unique Queston on Plantium challenge (not in the FAQ)

hello. I am thinking of doing the Platinum challenge with AA and go exclusively with AA instead of splitting between Cathay and AA. I can get the challenge easily.

However, I notice that you can't use a challenge to maintain status. So my question is: let's say I got the challenge, I'm promoted to Platinum, and next cycle year comes around and I have flew enough for Gold but not Platinum, so I'm downgraded to Gold. May I do another challenge next year (assuming they still have it) and go back up to Platinum?

Thanks for your help
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
If you don't make Platinum the second year, AA has what is called a "soft landing" -- you automatically drop down to GLD. So you don't necessarily even have to achieve GLD to maintain status for that second year.

Having said that, you will not be allowed to do another challenge until that GLD status expires. In other words, you can't do consecutive challenges.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:27 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
To put specific dates on this to make sure we're all saying the same thing:

Do the challenge in 2009. Then you will be PLT until 2/2011.
Don't fly enough in calendar year 2010 for PLT (either enough for GLD,or just soft landing to GLD). Then you are GLD until 2/2012, and cannot do a challenge in calendar year 2011 to retain PLT. You can do another in 2012.

If this is what you're asking, it is the standard situation covered in the FAQ and wiki on challenges.

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by brp
To put specific dates on this to make sure we're all saying the same thing:

Do the challenge in 2009. Then you will be PLT until 2/2011.
Don't fly enough in calendar year 2010 for PLT (either enough for GLD,or just soft landing to GLD). Then you are GLD until 2/2012, and cannot do a challenge in calendar year 2011 to retain PLT. You can do another in 2012.

If this is what you're asking, it is the standard situation covered in the FAQ and wiki on challenges.

Cheers.
Thanks brp. Also, I'd like to add just one other point to the above example. Yes, you can do another challenge in 2012, but you have to wait until March 1st, 2012 to commence it -- AA won't let you do it in January or February.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unique Queston on Plantium challenge (not in the FAQ) has been merged into the Help Desk thread on this issue.

/Moderator
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
Thanks brp. Also, I'd like to add just one other point to the above example. Yes, you can do another challenge in 2012, but you have to wait until March 1st, 2012 to commence it -- AA won't let you do it in January or February.
To add one more point. AA has told me that if in 2011 you purchase platinum status pursuant to an offer from AA such purchase will count as a second challenge, and will prevent you from doing a challenge until 2013. This was news to me.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Ok, I almost hate to ask because I think I know the answer, but here goes - to the best of my diminishing memory.

I challenged in '07, making me plat to '08. I requalified for Plat in '08, bringing me current to '10.

I have zero travel on AA this year but expect a soft landing to Gold (a sneaky ot question lurks there.. )

My question is - can I challenge back to Plat in '10 with Gold status? From everything I read, sounds like I can since I didn't challenge for my current Plt.

Feel free to flame me if I missed the completely obvious. I've been reading through the Wikis, etc.

TIA
Old Aug 26, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Lifetime Titanium), HH Gold, AA Exec Platinum, Avis Presidents
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on AA FT for all the great information! I'm relatively new to flying with AA and signed up for the Plat Challenge on 8/1/09 (doing mostly the LGA - ORD route weekly for work).

My question is...I am flying ORD-FRA-ORD in September and I will cross the 10,000 EQP mark during my ORD-FRA flight. I understand I should get the 100% EQM bonus for that flight, but can someone tell me their experience with obtaining the other Platinum benefits (i.e. Priority Access, access to Admirals Club...which I think I should get since I will be Platinum, priority boarding, access to 'premium' seats, etc.)?

Do I need to call AA and have them update my PNR prior to the flight denoting that I am platinum? (Is that even possible??) Any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
My question is - can I challenge back to Plat in '10 with Gold status? From everything I read, sounds like I can since I didn't challenge for my current Plt.
Assuming no changes occur betwen now and then, you will most likely be allowed to challenge again.

Originally Posted by ScottNYC
My question is...I am flying ORD-FRA-ORD in September and I will cross the 10,000 EQP mark during my ORD-FRA flight. I understand I should get the 100% EQM bonus for that flight, but can someone tell me their experience with obtaining the other Platinum benefits (i.e. Priority Access, access to Admirals Club...which I think I should get since I will be Platinum, priority boarding, access to 'premium' seats, etc.)?

Do I need to call AA and have them update my PNR prior to the flight denoting that I am platinum? (Is that even possible??) Any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I might be confused, but it seems you are asking if you can have your status updated to PLT before you even board the qualifying flight. I really hope I have misunderstood.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:59 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ScottNYC

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I might be confused, but it seems you are asking if you can have your status updated to PLT before you even board the qualifying flight. I really hope I have misunderstood.
Perhaps he's asking about having his status updated before his return flight (FRA-ORD)?

ScottNYC - You won't be able to reap any of the benefits of PLT until AFTER you complete the last leg that pushes you over the 10,000 points. I'd suggest calling AA when you're in FRA. If you have a short turnaround (<2 days), AA Customer Service may be able to manually post your ORD-FRA flight to complete your challenge.

Due to AA's slightly antiquated IT systems, your status at the time of ticketing is what will show on your PNR. The easiest way to "update" your PNR is probably to ask AA (can be phone agent, gate agent, AC AAngel, etc) to remove your AAdvantage number from the PNR and re-add it. Then your new PLT status will get you Priority Boarding/Check-In and Admirals Club access in FRA and ORD.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Perhaps he's asking about having his status updated before his return flight (FRA-ORD)?
Perhaps. That makes more sense than my interpretation.

Originally Posted by JY1024
You won't be able to reap any of the benefits of PLT until AFTER you complete the last leg that pushes you over the 10,000 points.
Just to be clear, it's not just flying the last leg that's necessary, it's the posting of that leg that triggers the benefits.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
You should get the elite bonus miles from the new status for the segment that pushes you over, but that's the only benefit that gets advanced. The rest come after the segment posts, although you can get the status manually updated if you have other flights before that segment will post.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
You should get the elite bonus miles from the new status for the segment that pushes you over, but that's the only benefit that gets advanced. The rest come after the segment posts...
Say what?

The elite bonus miles don't post until the final segment posts.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Sorry, probably not the best wording. I meant that you won't see any Platinum benefits until after the segment that pushes you over is posted (or you've flown it and call to get them to advance the status). The one exception is that the segment that pushes you over should earn the 100% bonus, so you technically get that benefit on the flight (although it won't post for 2-4 days).
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA
Question 1590 EQP to go...

I am 1590 EQP away from completing my Plat Challenge (after having completed my Gold Challenge during this same current period-- I uprgraded the challenge, paying the fee difference).

Q1: Is there a 100-pt grace? I'm looking at a flight that will yield 1567 EQP?

Q2: I've seen various posts about calling AA and upfaring deep discount to "V", I'm assuming this always is accompanied by a higher priced ticket? Or can one simply call and ask for a fare code change?

Q3: Finally, just to confirm, on a 946 mile flt (BWI-MIA) in deep discount, the EQP would be 473 and NOT 500, correct?

Thanks much everyone!!!
mayan50

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.