Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Hello brp, well, I agree, status when you "make" request does not matter. What I mentioned is that: Status when the "upgrade window" opens matters and not when you actually are "flying".

In this unique case, since user is Plt, upgrade window for him/her opens 72 hour before scheduled departure (which is roughly 3 days before March 1) and at that time, user is PLT. He/she loses PLT on March 1, so he is indeed a legitimate PLT when window opens and that's what matters.

Cheers!
Ah, I see your point. I didn't notice the dates and took it as a general statement. I think what you suggest is very likely the case here

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:32 am

At the risk of asking a question that's been asked in the previous 38 pages

How good is American with passengers with disabilities? My wife is in a wheelchair, and we've found (perhaps somewhat surprisingly) that USAirways has been the friendliest airline for that, but we haven't tried AA.

For example, most recently we flew a US/UA codeshared routing. The US-operated legs were great -- for each flight, a gate attendant came over to us early to see if we needed anything, told us what time they'd load us on, were very careful with her (custom) wheelchair, and were generally READY for her.

UA, on the other hand, was a mess. We had a connecting flight home, both legs on UA. For the first leg, we were at the gate an hour early, my wife is clearly in a wheelchair, I went over to talk to a gate attendant (once I could FIND one), and in spite of all that, they didn't bother to call for an aisle chair until they were already preboarding, and then tried to blame *us* for delaying the flight ("well you were supposed to be here early" "We WERE").

Then on the connection, they did the SAME THING.

So, what can we expect from AA? Will they be useful like US, useless like UA, or somewhere in the middle?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Given the upcoming merger I decided to book a short flight from OKC to DFW on AA since US doesn't offer the route. Of course, I got put in second to last row middle seat, which was expected. The flight is a week away and it was pretty full.

Is there any way to monitor the seating chart and change your seat before the check in process? On US you can log in and change your seat at any time for an upcoming trip. I don't see that at all on AA. I'd like to monitor it to see if anything opens up at least in an aisle or window.

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Given the upcoming merger I decided to book a short flight from OKC to DFW on AA since US doesn't offer the route. Of course, I got put in second to last row middle seat, which was expected. The flight is a week away and it was pretty full.

Is there any way to monitor the seating chart and change your seat before the check in process? On US you can log in and change your seat at any time for an upcoming trip. I don't see that at all on AA. I'd like to monitor it to see if anything opens up at least in an aisle or window.

Thanks!
Of course.

Go to https://www.aa.com/reservation/viewR...tionsAccess.do. Log in as needed. All trips associated with your AAdvantage number are listed.

If you don't have an AAdvantage number, or if it's not attached to the reservation, scroll down on the login screen and "Continue without logging in", then look up the reservation that way.

Select the reservation. The lower right corner of the flight info box should have a link "change seats".
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by swag
Of course.

Go to https://www.aa.com/reservation/viewR...tionsAccess.do. Log in as needed. All trips associated with your AAdvantage number are listed.

If you don't have an AAdvantage number, or if it's not attached to the reservation, scroll down on the login screen and "Continue without logging in", then look up the reservation that way.

Select the reservation. The lower right corner of the flight info box should have a link "change seats".
That is where I was looking but I don't have that option.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:28 am

That is where I was looking but I don't have that option.
I got it now. Seems I had to wait until I received my e-mail confirmation for the link to show up. Thanks!

Any idea what day to check for seats? On US, upgrades come 7,4,3,2 days out for preferreds. Is it the same on AA? Generally, one an upgrade clears a better seat opens. Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:34 am

I got it now. Seems I had to wait until I received my e-mail confirmation for the link to show up. Thanks!

Any idea what day to check for seats? On US, upgrades come 7,4,3,2 days out for preferreds. Is it the same on AA? Generally, one an upgrade clears a better seat opens. Thanks!
On AA, the upgrade windows are 100 hours, 72 hours, and 24 hours.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Yeah, the change seats option is available while making the reservation (if on aa.com) and once it's ticketed, but often doesn't show up during the hours in between purchase and ticketing.

I'll generally check every few days until 2 weeks prior, then daily until 2 or 3 days prior, then every few hours. The upgrade windows mentioned in the last post are good times to check, but most folks who get upgraded are elites who will have previously occupied seats that are either reserved for elites only, or else are preferred and come with a fee.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:16 pm

I'm interested in using my AAdvantage miles for hotel stays or maybe other non-airline travel rewards (maybe gift cards for credit cards, restaurants etc..).

Can miles be converted directly into hotel points without doing a trade on points.com or some other site?

Which hotel chains have the best conversion rate?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by spike74
I'm interested in using my AAdvantage miles for hotel stays or maybe other non-airline travel rewards (maybe gift cards for credit cards, restaurants etc..).

Can miles be converted directly into hotel points without doing a trade on points.com or some other site?

Which hotel chains have the best conversion rate?
Well, transferring miles to points account (or vice versa) is surely a losing proposition. On top of bad conversion rate, you would end up with "residual" miles / points in one or both accounts. A much better bet would be to try and book hotel directly from AA website using miles. You can do that through:

https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/

Rates for using miles for hotels above may not be the best, but I strongly believe it would be much better than transferring miles to some other account.

Cheers!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Spend majority of my time in the CX forum, but first time here in AA!

I'm looking at flights from JFK to YYZ in May. When I checked 2 weeks ago, they were around ~$280 return trip. AC and AA seems to have pretty competitive / exact pricing.

Checked again today and unexpectly found both carriers having them at $185 all in.
I prefer to keep my travel to oneworld, so ignoring the AC flights...
If I use AA 4483 (11:05am) or AA 3819 (2:59pm) for my outbound, the return trip will be $185.
If I use AA 3832 (8:25pm) for outbound, my return trip will be $240.

The later flight works better with my schedule. Question is.....is this flight also a lot more desirable (and fill up more quickly) than the other two? Will there be any chance seeing this later flight at the same price level as the earlier two? Or is this price pretty much firm/as low as it can get?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Spend majority of my time in the CX forum, but first time here in AA!

I'm looking at flights from JFK to YYZ in May. When I checked 2 weeks ago, they were around ~$280 return trip. AC and AA seems to have pretty competitive / exact pricing.

Checked again today and unexpectly found both carriers having them at $185 all in.
I prefer to keep my travel to oneworld, so ignoring the AC flights...
If I use AA 4483 (11:05am) or AA 3819 (2:59pm) for my outbound, the return trip will be $185.
If I use AA 3832 (8:25pm) for outbound, my return trip will be $240.

The later flight works better with my schedule. Question is.....is this flight also a lot more desirable (and fill up more quickly) than the other two? Will there be any chance seeing this later flight at the same price level as the earlier two? Or is this price pretty much firm/as low as it can get?

Thanks in advance!
The price change might be the result of a recently-announced fare sale by Porter, which flies EWR-YYZ.

Are you able to fly out of LGA? Have you priced an evening departure from there?

Also, because of the short flight distance, NYC-YYZ is often a great route for redeeming BA Avios, if you have any.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The price change might be the result of a recently-announced fare sale by Porter, which flies EWR-YYZ.

Are you able to fly out of LGA? Have you priced an evening departure from there?

Also, because of the short flight distance, NYC-YYZ is often a great route for redeeming BA Avios, if you have any.
Ah... maybe that's why.
Tried to price LGA-YYZ, and the morning/early afternoon flights are at the same price of $185 (CDN...same as above price). But their mid-afternoon to evening flights are even more expensive.

Preferably JFK, as my inbound will be connecting a flight back to YVR. (ie. AA 3820 -> CX 889)
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:01 am

I've got about 3K miles confirmed in my AAdvantage shopping account that haven't posted to my mileage account yet. I need to book a flight ASAP anyway AA could "spot" me the miles or expedite them posting so I can book flight today?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, UA Gold
I want to use my and my husband's AA miles for 2 J seats on BOS-NRT-BKK return, on JAL for this summer. Looking at the award chart it says US to Asia2 is 55K each way for "transpacific only". Since BOS-NRT is a direct flight (once the 787s are up again) but over the pole toward the west, does that count as transpacific or is my only option to fly from ORD or LAX on CX? Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.