Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by easycoder
Hi

I am a 1m mile Gold AA traveller. Spouse is not gold or any "elite" status. She has the miles for 2 tickets. I don't (or just have 10,000 miles). Question is, if she were to get the 2 return trip flight awards using her FF number and by phone not on the website, would AA let us book 2 exit row seats (preferred) as they always have done when I booked or bought the tickets?

Thanks

EC
Since you'd be on the same PNR (your FF number would be on your ticket, though both tickets would be booked from her account), you'd be able to select preferred seats.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Just booked an award trip on AA. On my return trip the 1st of 3 legs is on Alaska Air. The following 2 legs are both AA. When I check in at the airport do I go to Alaska Air or AA?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yannix
AFAIK, it varies. According to various reports, they only process the rebate once a month. So you might have just missed the cutoff date.
Hi, yannix kindly answered this for me before, however - it has now been over a month since I booked my flights with miles and still no 10% rebate of my miles. Anyone know who I can contact to get this resolved? I am hoping it will not be another case of AA telling me to contact Citi and Citi telling me to contact AA. :-(
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Just booked an award trip on AA. On my return trip the 1st of 3 legs is on Alaska Air. The following 2 legs are both AA. When I check in at the airport do I go to Alaska Air or AA?
You check in with the operating carrier of your first leg. So AS, in your case.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Status Match (from DL Diamond Medallion)

My partner is currently DM with Delta. We have recently moved to the Dallas area, so he will almost certainly find it more efficient to switch to AA. What is involved in requesting a status match?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:53 am

Hello! New to the board, obviously!

My scenario: My wife and I both have enough miles for a return flight to London, from Indianapolis. Our window that we can go is small. Leaving October 10/11 returning October 24-26.

The problem I'm having is finding flights that have more than 1 award travel ticket available. I've been checking for a couple of weeks now and nothing. All the AA operators I've talked with say, just keep checking, it changes all the time. We would really rather go AA both ways and save ourselves the extra $550 in Fees a BA flight will costs us, but I'll take anything at this point.

Are there any obvious basic strategies I should think about? Do I need to panic if we start getting into to summer etc? We will have our two young kids with us, so overnight stop overs would really suck and I'd have to be very desperate to do that.

Thanks for any help or advice you all can offer.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Govnor
Hello! New to the board, obviously!

My scenario: My wife and I both have enough miles for a return flight to London, from Indianapolis. Our window that we can go is small. Leaving October 10/11 returning October 24-26.

The problem I'm having is finding flights that have more than 1 award travel ticket available. I've been checking for a couple of weeks now and nothing. All the AA operators I've talked with say, just keep checking, it changes all the time. We would really rather go AA both ways and save ourselves the extra $550 in Fees a BA flight will costs us, but I'll take anything at this point.

Are there any obvious basic strategies I should think about? Do I need to panic if we start getting into to summer etc? We will have our two young kids with us, so overnight stop overs would really suck and I'd have to be very desperate to do that.

Thanks for any help or advice you all can offer.
Your only real option is to book the BA flights for now. If and when space on AA flights opens up you can switch to the AA flights for free and get refunded the BA fuel surcharges.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
Your only real option is to book the BA flights for now. If and when space on AA flights opens up you can switch to the AA flights for free and get refunded the BA fuel surcharges.
Thanks, that 's interesting. Wouldn't have thought I could do that. As it stands I could see having to book BA for sure, as nearly all the options I've seen are BA from London back to the US.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
One thing I just thought of, we will have to purchase 2 regular fare tickets for the kids, is that still an option with them?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:48 pm

Can I book an award ticket from LAX->SYD with Cathay Pacific stopping over in HKG for a few hours at 62.5k miles? I'm trying to get on the same flight to SYD with a friend from China who may need help with immigration in Australia.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Govnor
One thing I just thought of, we will have to purchase 2 regular fare tickets for the kids, is that still an option with them?
No, with a paid ticket it will cost you $250 and any fare difference to change flights. With awards flights, date and time changes are free as long as the origination and destination remains the same.

If you still want to do this, consider booking the two children and one adult on the AA flight that currently has one award seat. Book the other other adult on an award seat on the BA flight. If the second award seat opens up on AA, the person on the BA flight can switch over. If it never happens, then that one adult flies BA while the two kids and one adult fly the AA flight.

Also, since you have a choice of Thursday or Friday on the outbound, I would go with Thursday since Friday and Sunday are the most in demand travel dates.

On the return I would choose Wednesday over Thursday since Tuesday and Wednesday are the lightest travel days.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by thatguy47
Can I book an award ticket from LAX->SYD with Cathay Pacific stopping over in HKG for a few hours at 62.5k miles? I'm trying to get on the same flight to SYD with a friend from China who may need help with immigration in Australia.
No. AA awards between North America and the South Pacific do not permit any third-zone transits.

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:13 pm

I got an AA Citi Visa card on the gold level about a year ago, before they increased the benefits of the Platinum level. Had I known they would increase the benefits, I'd have applied for a Platinum card. I recently got the fee waived on the gold card as a retention bonus, but they won't let me both upgrade to Platinum and waive the fee. (Understandable, obviously.)

What I want to know is whether I can get the "new customer" bonuses for signing up for other AA Citi cards, such as the CitiBusiness card, or if my current gold card precludes me from doing that. Also, if I can't get the benefits at present, could cancel the gold card in order to qualify as a new customer?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by SeanConnery
I got an AA Citi Visa card on the gold level about a year ago, before they increased the benefits of the Platinum level. Had I known they would increase the benefits, I'd have applied for a Platinum card. I recently got the fee waived on the gold card as a retention bonus, but they won't let me both upgrade to Platinum and waive the fee. (Understandable, obviously.)

What I want to know is whether I can get the "new customer" bonuses for signing up for other AA Citi cards, such as the CitiBusiness card, or if my current gold card precludes me from doing that. Also, if I can't get the benefits at present, could cancel the gold card in order to qualify as a new customer?
Hi,

Check below thread out:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nks-first.html

It probably has all the answers you may need about applying for Citi AA card / getting bonus.

Cheers!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by guv1976

Originally Posted by thatguy47
No. AA awards between North America and the South Pacific do not permit any third-zone transits.
I should have mentioned, however, that if you plan to return to LAX from SYD, you should look into a distance-based "Explorer" award: LAX-HKG-SYD-LAX can be had for 130,000 AA miles in Business Class. (You could even do SYD-BNE-LAX instead of SYD-LAX, if necessary.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.