Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:18 pm

I have another somewhat related question. I've figured out that I might be able save $800 (total) on my trip from Indianapolis to LHR if I get off at ORD on the return, rent a car and drive home. 2 tickets will be redeemed with AA Miles and two tickets (the kids) would be purchased. What if anything could/would AA do to me if I did this? many thanks again.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
apologies for stupid questions but trying to understand the aa award chart.as coming over from us air

how many miles would it cost me to travel from tyo to capetown or to lax?
is there anyway to see availability online and also ck fees?
i have heard bad rumours about incredible fees on aa awards!

thanks
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
apologies for stupid questions but trying to understand the aa award chart.as coming over from us air

thanks
No such thing as stupid questions in the newbie lounge! Flame free!

Click on Book Awards under the AAdvantage tab. Click Book now and you should see available prices and points. I see the cheapest from TYO to LAX is 65K round trip peak time, and 50K off peak. It won't list the fees for me because I dont have enough points to preview it. Although it does say the fees can be from $2-$98 per one way.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
I've been trying to track down AA's senior discount fares/club. There is mention of both senior discount fares and a "Senior Saaver Club" in various fare rules but I can't find any current information about either.

I'd like to sign up or somehow access these fare, (they seem to be about 10% discount when applicable) but I can't pry the information out of FT, Google or AA.com.

Here's what I found at aa.com. The info is down near the bottom.

Anybody know if these options are still available? They seem to have sprung up in the mid-'80s, but aside from references to Rule 810 IPRG Senior Citizen Discount Program and Rule 755 IPRG Senior Saaver Club Program in various T&Cs (usually saying they don't apply to this fare) I can't find anything.

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace

thanks
You don't say what class of service you want to travel in.

See the award chart here. (And the oneworld and other airline award chart linked there)
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp

BA charges a significant "fuel surcharge" on long haul flights on BA metal. Other than that, I'm not aware of any incredible fees that you've heard rumors of.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA and UA aluminium foil, Hilton gold
Hello all. I am sure somewhere in the miriade of upgrade threads the answer may exist but I have yet to run across it. So, I am hoping that you kind folks here would be able to provide an answer.

We have reservations from KOA to LAX (return leg) for May. Due to capacity controls we were not able to upgrade with miles at time of original booking which was October. They put us on an upgrade waiting list at that time.

This week I noticed a glitch in the itinerary where apparently the LAX/HNL/KOA outbound had the HA interisland flight HNL to KOA cancelled and we weren't changed to another flight. Anyway, a call to AA got it resolved eventually, but i noticed later that now the reservation shows the ticketing date as this past Wednesday when the "correction" occurred.

My question is, would the new "ticketed" date affect our place in the upgrade request list? I can hear the automated system say that we still have that request in place when I call, but was curious now about the "order". (Keeping my fingers crossed that in the slim chance that this would go thru fate would chose to shine favorably.) :-:

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:37 pm

Offering SWU

Any spot on Flyertalk I can offer up my SWUs? Have 4 of them expiring this month. Dealing with a sickness / death in the family and budget constraints, have not had time or energy to use them myself. Not happy with losing them, but better someone uses them last minute then they expire unused which is a complete waste.

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by CasualObserver
Any spot on Flyertalk I can offer up my SWUs? Have 4 of them expiring this month. Dealing with a sickness / death in the family and budget constraints, have not had time or energy to use them myself. Not happy with losing them, but better someone uses them last minute then they expire unused which is a complete waste.

Thanks.
What are SWUs? Noob here.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
SWUs are System Wide Upgrades, good for upgrading any trip (including international) with no copay. They are given annually to Exec Platinums.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM

Thanks.
Yes, go to Coupon Connection
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
What are SWUs? Noob here.
Originally Posted by swag
SWUs are System Wide Upgrades, good for upgrading any trip (including international) with no copay. They are given annually to Exec Platinums.
They used to be called "VIPs" or "eVIPs," so you'll find discussion here under those outdated names as well.

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by nor4
Yes, go to Coupon Connection
No Access.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Newbie first post.

Got onboard (2x actually, wife and I) the J fare JFK-SCL r/t earlier this week (first week April) and joined AA FF program after-the-fact, so too late to associate that trip with AA account now but 1) assume I can just do at check in?

Also, now that I'm kinda addicted at perusing deals, probably gonna jump on J class LAN fare to GYE @$1000 r/t for August, but 2) also from reading AAd webpage it appears LAN booked (whether via AA website or directly from LAN) credit equally in AA account? I understand the LAN ride in J is better than AA.

3) Just for sanity sake, is my math correct on the LAN options: 6,000 base miles r/t + 25% class bonus +1.5 EQM puts the GYE trip @ 10,500 points (miles); the SCL routing thru DFW is approx 10,000 base + 2,500 class + 5,000 EQM= 17,500?

First and only irrelevant disclosure: I 'fly' 400k miles per year but travel far less...most of my travel miles do not earn any credit. Can reposition myself throughout states for good deals fairly easily but based at ORD. Wife and I also have the 30k Citi card approved...maybe make a run for Plat by end of year. Interesting hobby....

Cheers!

Last edited by CaptRobPhD; Feb 23, 2013 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:35 pm

No Access.
Thanks Swag.

I think you need to be a FT member for 6 months and have like 90 posts or 180. Something like that. Anyone know the full requirements for CC access?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:16 pm

180 days, 180 posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.