Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators; members can still minimize or maximize this wikipost using the upper right corner [-] or [+] buttons.)

Happy New Year!

The [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) thread has now replaced this one.

Thanks to thread founder HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
From Randy Petersen: Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is archived here

This thread is now archived and closed; please use the 2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread.

Print Wikipost

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:03 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Smile [2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

It's a new year, so time for a new thread.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Smile American to Hawaii

My wife and I would like to fly from TPA to Hawaii in comfort next October. Its a long trip. Do you think the new merged AA might have some comfortable seats and flight combinations for this trip?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Platinum
Haven't flown AA domestic in a while...

Have a JFK-SFO-LAX-JFK coming up in a few weeks in whY; I have a couple of quick questions about lounge access as well as in seat power/wifi:

i) I understand I can access the Admiral's club at these locations via Amex but what about the Flagship lounges?

ii) on the 762's will there be in-seat power in Y? (I have one exit row and one normal seat) Furthermore, I have not actually used wifi on AA before as I tend to circumvent domestic travel in the US (not intentionally ) what is it like? Bandwidth etc.?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: Diamond medallion, HHonors Diamond,
I've never called AA to complain or ask for a refund or miles, but I was so disappointed in the customer service - I wonder if I am due compensation, even though they'll probably just blame weather...

I was scheduled to fly SNA ->ORD 1/2... saw weather in ORD was bad. I went to the ticket counter when I arrived and asked if I could go through DFW to my final destination, and was told "No. (there were seats for SNA - DFW and DFW - GRR).
Sat at the gate for 1.5 hours due to ORD delays - got into Chicago late. Connector to GRR was delayed. I asked the GA if our aircraft was on the ground and was told "How would I know?" He did some checking and said, I don't know, its coming from Madison.... I asked if he thought there was a good likelihood it would cancel, and was told "I'm not a clarvoyant" If there was a high likelihood of canceling, I would have rented a car and driven home at that point (rather than sitting from 3:30 - 9:15)

At 5:00 PM our inbound aircraft landed, but had no gate space (even though there were many "open" eagle gates for 1.5+ hours after that statement). Inbound PAX sat on the aircraft until just after 8:00PM. We boarded the plane at around 8:10, waited 20 minutes for a deadheading FA, and then got an announcement our paperwork expired and our flight canceled. I was rebooked on another canceled flight, and then was told it would be 2+ days before there was an open seat. I took it upon myself to rent a car and drive home.

I was on an anytime aaward.... Do I have any ground for some or all of my miles back due to the experience?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:12 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Matador
I've never called AA to complain or ask for a refund or miles, but I was so disappointed in the customer service - I wonder if I am due compensation, even though they'll probably just blame weather...

I was scheduled to fly SNA ->ORD 1/2... saw weather in ORD was bad. I went to the ticket counter when I arrived and asked if I could go through DFW to my final destination, and was told "No. (there were seats for SNA - DFW and DFW - GRR).
Sat at the gate for 1.5 hours due to ORD delays - got into Chicago late. Connector to GRR was delayed. I asked the GA if our aircraft was on the ground and was told "How would I know?" He did some checking and said, I don't know, its coming from Madison.... I asked if he thought there was a good likelihood it would cancel, and was told "I'm not a clarvoyant" If there was a high likelihood of canceling, I would have rented a car and driven home at that point (rather than sitting from 3:30 - 9:15)

At 5:00 PM our inbound aircraft landed, but had no gate space (even though there were many "open" eagle gates for 1.5+ hours after that statement). Inbound PAX sat on the aircraft until just after 8:00PM. We boarded the plane at around 8:10, waited 20 minutes for a deadheading FA, and then got an announcement our paperwork expired and our flight canceled. I was rebooked on another canceled flight, and then was told it would be 2+ days before there was an open seat. I took it upon myself to rent a car and drive home.

I was on an anytime aaward.... Do I have any ground for some or all of my miles back due to the experience?
Unfortunately no.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chehk
Have a JFK-SFO-LAX-JFK coming up in a few weeks in whY; I have a couple of quick questions about lounge access as well as in seat power/wifi:

i) I understand I can access the Admiral's club at these locations via Amex but what about the Flagship lounges?

ii) on the 762's will there be in-seat power in Y? (I have one exit row and one normal seat) Furthermore, I have not actually used wifi on AA before as I tend to circumvent domestic travel in the US (not intentionally ) what is it like? Bandwidth etc.?
Flagship lounge is pretty restrictive. Here is an access list. Transcon is only for First Class on three cabin aircraft.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...hipLounges.jsp

The 767-200 has power in Y ahead of row 28 but once your 28 or aft it is only a few rows. Check your seat here on:http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...ng_767-200.php

The wifi is good. No sites like netflix but they have their own streaming movies/tv and other video options.

-Justin
Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
AMEX Platinum or Centurion access, which is expiring soon, never did nor currently does, include Flagship Lounge access. That requires class of serve or one world status based access.

Justin pretty much answered it all.

Originally Posted by chehk

Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by The Matador

It's hindsight, but on an award, you are allowed to confirm changes to dates/times/routings for free, and AAnytime should offer last-seat availability. The GA may not be able to do that for you, or may not have realized the type of ticket you were on. A call to the AAdvantage desk was in order.

Failing that, say, if you couldn't reach them or if it was too close to departure for the rebooking, then AAnytime awards are eligible for free standby, even if the pax has no status, and standby does allow for changed routing.

You're probably not entitled to anything, but it is worth contacting them. Focus on the fact that you got bad or incomplete info from the GA, and that AA was unable to get you to your destination within 2 days of schedule. I'll bet they throw some miles your way.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by bigjimbo99
My wife and I would like to fly from TPA to Hawaii in comfort next October. Its a long trip. Do you think the new merged AA might have some comfortable seats and flight combinations for this trip?
No one really knows the answer to this one, so it's all speculation. History tells us that it takes a little while before merged airlines mix types of planes on routes previously flown by only one of the pre-merger companies. So that suggests that current AA planes will fly the AA Hawaii routes. And no immediate plans have been announced to add special new planes to those routes (i.e no 321T or 77W). We won't know for a couple of days what the rules/benefits of flying US planes/routes will be exactly, but you might be able to book those if you think the seats would be more comfortable.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:17 pm

One last question, and this is as nooby as you get, if you can't book a partner airline award flight online, can you successfully ask for the $25 booking fee be waived, like people have done with British Airways?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mjjckc
One last question, and this is as nooby as you get, if you can't book a partner airline award flight online, can you successfully ask for the $25 booking fee be waived, like people have done with British Airways?
Unfortunately no.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:32 am

If I call AA, will they be able to make changes to a flight that was booked through a one world partner?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by P50andPilot
Flagship lounge is pretty restrictive. Here is an access list. Transcon is only for First Class on three cabin aircraft.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...hipLounges.jsp

The 767-200 has power in Y ahead of row 28 but once your 28 or aft it is only a few rows. Check your seat here on:http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame...ng_767-200.php

The wifi is good. No sites like netflix but they have their own streaming movies/tv and other video options.

-Justin
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, P50andPilot!

A great and helpful first post - hope to see you posting more. ^
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dailow
If I call AA, will they be able to make changes to a flight that was booked through a one world partner?
Changes to a flight need to made with whoever issues your ticket. E.g., if you're using BA Avios, you'll need to contact BA, regardless of what airlines are actually being flown on your itinerary. (The only exception I can think of is seat changes, but I'm guessing you're talking about more substantial changes. )
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
I see a lot of talk about people "re-listing" for upgrades when they get to the airport. I've had OK luck with my upgrades as a PLT, I just request at time of booking and ask to make sure I'm on the list when I check in at the airport, I've never not been on the list though - which leads me to believe that asking at the check in desk is useless.

Is this just what people do to double check or is there something further here?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.