Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
I'm looking at flights from JFK to YYZ in May. When I checked 2 weeks ago, they were around ~$280 return trip. AC and AA seems to have pretty competitive / exact pricing.

Checked again today and unexpectly found both carriers having them at $185 all in.
I prefer to keep my travel to oneworld, so ignoring the AC flights...
If I use AA 4483 (11:05am) or AA 3819 (2:59pm) for my outbound, the return trip will be $185.
If I use AA 3832 (8:25pm) for outbound, my return trip will be $240.

Argh....all these rates are gone!! They are all $300+ now
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Would I need to book a codeshare flight with the AA flight number ticketed to upgrade with AAdvantage miles from BA World Traveller Plus to Club World?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: MR Plat, AA
I have an award flight booked for FCO-LHR-LAX-HNL using a MilsAAver Business/First award. I got my class of service on all segments except for the LAX-HNL portion, which was assigned as economy. Short of changing the date of my final segment and/or going to an AAnytime Award, is there any way in which I can get the final segment upgraded to Business/First? The flight is quite full, though First has only 2 seats taken at the moment and hasn't seen any changes for the past month. Thank you!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:30 pm

How do you check fare bucket availability for American and American Eagle flights?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hellyea
How do you check fare bucket availability for American and American Eagle flights?
Several websites will work, depending upon what you're looking for. Both KVS and ExpertFlyer will provide this information. The latter will also provide upgrade and award inventory, if that's what you're seeking.

Cheers.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
Options if short connection on award flights is missed

I'm flying on AA metal from SFO to FRA in Aug via a 45 min connection in DFW using a 1st saver award. If the connection is missed due to a late 1st flight then what alternative flights can be considered (eg, only AA metal, or AA codeshare, or any oneworld flight)?

I realize I could switch at no cost to an earlier 1st flight so I'm trying to weigh the tradeoffs of a missed connection with the current flights. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by armus
I'm flying on AA metal from SFO to FRA in Aug via a 45 min connection in DFW using a 1st saver award. If the connection is missed due to a late 1st flight then what alternative flights can be considered (eg, only AA metal, or AA codeshare, or any oneworld flight)?

I realize I could switch at no cost to an earlier 1st flight so I'm trying to weigh the tradeoffs of a missed connection with the current flights. Thanks.
If you misconnect AA will probably reaccommodate you on one of the 4 later AA/BA flights DFW-LHR, connecting onward to FRA on BA. If that sounds like a horrible proposition for some reason, book a longer connection.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:00 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kyo46
I have an award flight booked for FCO-LHR-LAX-HNL using a MilsAAver Business/First award. I got my class of service on all segments except for the LAX-HNL portion, which was assigned as economy. Short of changing the date of my final segment and/or going to an AAnytime Award, is there any way in which I can get the final segment upgraded to Business/First? The flight is quite full, though First has only 2 seats taken at the moment and hasn't seen any changes for the past month. Thank you!
I think you pretty much listed all the options. Do make sure that you're on the waitlist for the LAX-HNL leg so that if/when the proper award inventory opens up, you can get upgraded.

Else, your options are as you listed...upgrade to AAnytime award (which would be the AAnytime award miles needed for your ENTIRE itinerary - not just that one leg), or shift to another date/flight where the requisite award inventory exists.

Good luck!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Skip the last leg of a paid flight?

So I have seen some of the hidden city rules and there are a couple of threads about skipping the last leg/segment of award travel, but I am curious as to what happens (and more recently) if you skip the last leg of a paid flight on AA.

If I, for example, live in NYC and I fly from ORD-MIA-GIG-MIA-EWR-ORD and decide to "get off" in EWR and just go home, I believe that AA will cancel the rest of the ticket. But if they cancel the last leg (which I don't plan on flying anyway) will I still get all the miles/segments/points for the previous legs of my trip (ORD-MIA-GIG-MIA-EWR) even though I got off in Newark?

Last edited by rionio77; Mar 6, 2013 at 8:41 am
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by hellyea
Originally Posted by brp
Several websites will work, depending upon what you're looking for. Both KVS and ExpertFlyer will provide this information. The latter will also provide upgrade and award inventory, if that's what you're seeking.

Cheers.
Ok...any free sites / tools? Flightstats doesn't show AA, but does show BA codeshares for AA operated flights -- is that accurate?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by rionio77
So I have seen some of the hidden city rules and there are a couple of threads about skipping the last leg/segment of award travel, but I am curious as to what happens (and more recently) if you skip the last leg of a paid flight on AA.

If I, for example, live in NYC and I fly from ORD-MIA-GIG-MIA-EWR-ORD and decide to "get off" in EWR and just go home, I believe that AA will cancel the rest of the ticket. But if they cancel the last leg (which I don't plan on flying anyway) will I still get all the miles/segments/points for the previous legs of my trip (ORD-MIA-GIG-MIA-EWR) even though I got off in Newark?
Yes you will. (Just don't do this too frequently).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: MR Plat, AA
Originally Posted by JY1024
I think you pretty much listed all the options. Do make sure that you're on the waitlist for the LAX-HNL leg so that if/when the proper award inventory opens up, you can get upgraded.

Else, your options are as you listed...upgrade to AAnytime award (which would be the AAnytime award miles needed for your ENTIRE itinerary - not just that one leg), or shift to another date/flight where the requisite award inventory exists.

Good luck!
Thank you JY1024! I didn't know you could wait list for an upgrade! I'll give it a shot. Thanks again!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by armus
The biggest trade-off might be no F availability the rest of the day, be it on AA or OW partners, and a downgrade to business or even coach. I'd take an earlier SFO-DFW just to make sure you hold onto your F seat DFW-FRA. With SFO being prone to weather delays no matter what the time of year, I'd nevr risk a 45 min connection for international.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:58 pm

I'm booking business class - award flight to London. Starting in PDX and it appears there are several connecting flights and many options. When I click on the details for the U.S. leg to London, the plane is listed as a 777. It seems odd they are flying a "777" on different days, from different cities. Shouldn't there be more info?

Is there a way to learn what kind of 777 before I book?

Thank you
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tidbits
I'm booking business class - award flight to London. Starting in PDX and it appears there are several connecting flights and many options. When I click on the details for the U.S. leg to London, the plane is listed as a 777. It seems odd they are flying a "777" on different days, from different cities. Shouldn't there be more info?

Is there a way to learn what kind of 777 before I book?

Thank you
On AA.com, "777" means 772. "77W" would indicate the new 777-300ER. Another indication is that the 77W is 1-2-1 in J and 3-4-3 in Y (with 3-3-3 MCE) while the 772 is 2-3-2 in J and 2-5-2 in Y. Also the 77W has an 8 seat F cabin while the 772 has 16F.

You don't say when you're flying, or what connection points you're looking at, but I believe LAX-LHR is going exclusively 77W. DFW and JFK also have 77Ws to LHR. I'm not sure about ORD. I would choose the LAX-LHR leg if I can; longest flight TATL, and in the 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.