Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
I am flying ORD-NRT later this week, with the return HND-JFK the following week and wanted to know if the pajamas are given both directions when seated in J?
No pajamas in J, only F.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:59 am

Quick mileage bonus question

I know this must be in these 3000 pages but can someone help me out.

If i fly a route in business thats 10000 miles and I will get 15000 miles,

If i become platinum or executive platinum is the bonus 10000 miles or 15000?

Also would platinum or exec platinum do much for upgrades for family of 3 LIH-LAX

Thanks to all for all the help
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you use any method in your search, start with the FAQ' lots of basic questions answered there and in the linked-to threads, as well as the Wiki, rather than attempting to read however many pages may be in this forum. One can also easily search those threads by using Advanced Search - as explained in this thread: Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread - many members have taken the time and effort to answer these questions and expand upon them.

We also have a Newbie thread one can ask questions in - this post will be merged into that thread.

In any case, your assumptions are off track. Start with this chart on aa.com to see where.

You will notice you earn a 25% class of service bonus (redeemable miles) in Business Class.

Platinum / EXP earn 100% bonus miles.

Both of these figures are based on the Base Miles AKA "butt in seat" or flown miles, which are also used as Elite-Qualifying Miles, unless you are on a through flight with the same flight number (where you will learn as if you had flown nonstop).

Status for upgrade purposes can be extended to one person as a traveling companion, not more.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Working from the 'teach a man to fish' viewpoint, these are the relevant pages on aa.com:

Class of service bonuses:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp

Elite mileage bonuses apply to base miles, not (base + class of service bonus):

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/mileageBonuses.jsp
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:26 am

thanks guys
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: QFF
Good Morning all ,

Newbie AAdvantage question from me this morning (I should have asked here first!).

With the recent bonus points offer from AAdvantage (60k + 30k bonus) I purchased one lot, as did another family member. Both myself and my father wish to travel on these points, but on one PNR, so I've initiated the booking via aa.com, but require 30k more points in the account for the booking to action.

I've gone and initiated a sharemiles transfer of 30k from his account to mine, and paid for the transfer.

However I've since been reading the T&C's for the sharemiles/buymiles/giftmiles and it seems that I won't be allowed to share the miles as the maximum amount of miles that can be purchased/gifted/shared into one account per year is 60k?

If so, do my miles disappear into the ether, or do they remain as is (not terribly worried about the $ charged for sharing at this point, more worried about the miles!)?

Thanks folks, and apologies for the long question
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk. From aa.com and affiliated site:

Share Miles

Members may transfer up to 100,000 miles and receive up to 100,000 miles per account, per calendar year.
and in part, "Members may transfer up to 100,000 AAdvantage miles (in increments of 1,000 - 50,000 AAdvantage miles) and receive up to 100,000 miles (in increments of 1,000 - 50,000 AAdvantage miles) per AAdvantage account, per calendar year. AAdvantage miles transferred do not count toward elite-status qualification or Million MilerSM status."

Gift Miles (and Buy Miles)

buyAAmiles and giftAAmiles transactions are limited to a combined maximum of 60,000 miles, per account, per calendar year.
I am not sure how these will be handled by the vendor, but I would argue you bought the maximum and then additionally shared 30k (miles, not points), and therefore are not in violation of the full terms and conditions as applied by the combined programs.

In any case, I'd wait until the "hit" the account to make any moves to wake the sleeping elephants...

Originally Posted by ChasingDaylight
Good Morning all ,

Newbie AAdvantage question from me this morning (I should have asked here first!).

With the recent bonus points offer from AAdvantage (60k + 30k bonus) I purchased one lot, as did another family member. Both myself and my father wish to travel on these points, but on one PNR, so I've initiated the booking via aa.com, but require 30k more points in the account for the booking to action.

I've gone and initiated a sharemiles transfer of 30k from his account to mine, and paid for the transfer.

However I've since been reading the T&C's for the sharemiles/buymiles/giftmiles and it seems that I won't be allowed to share the miles as the maximum amount of miles that can be purchased/gifted/shared into one account per year is 60k?

If so, do my miles disappear into the ether, or do they remain as is (not terribly worried about the $ charged for sharing at this point, more worried about the miles!)?

Thanks folks, and apologies for the long question
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Check through on two tickets?

Hello,

I booked an award for my friend to fly AA LHR-DFW round trip. However, there was no award space in business direct from DFW-LHR. The agency booked her IAD-LHR on BA and I booked a separate ticket DFW-IAD on AA.

The question is will she have to collect/recheck at IAD or will AA check through all the way to LHR?

Thanks,

Mark
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobanma
I booked an award for my friend to fly AA LHR-DFW round trip. However, there was no award space in business direct from DFW-LHR. The agency booked her IAD-LHR on BA and I booked a separate ticket DFW-IAD on AA.

The question is will she have to collect/recheck at IAD or will AA check through all the way to LHR?
They will be able to check her in all the way at DFW. They'll also be able to check her bags all the way, if she has any.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
They will be able to check her in all the way at DFW. They'll also be able to check her bags all the way, if she has any.
Thank you for the quick reply! I've had to collect bags and recheck on international flights and it's a pain. Flew LHR-ORD-DFW last October and I only fly direct now.

Mark
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by hobanma
Thank you for the quick reply! I've had to collect bags and recheck on international flights and it's a pain. Flew LHR-ORD-DFW last October and I only fly direct now.

Mark
That's different. If you are arriving in the US from an international location, (except some int' - int'l transfers) you clear customs and immigration at your first port of entry, which requires you to retrieve your checked bags and drop them off again at the counter (even if your bags are checked through to your final destination.)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
So not a newbie but I have run into a situation which requires me to have to do something which I have never done before...

I am taking a connecting flight from ORD-STL-DFW. In an effort to maximize my day in STL (to say hi to family), I plan on standing by on an earlier ORD-STL flight. Having done that a billion times, I get how that one works. However, what is the process of standing by for the later STL-DFW flight. There is 1 flight at a later departure time that evening. I have never tried standing by for a later flight.. can anyone give me clues as to what I need to do, or how it works? Lots of detail on the former standby for the earlier but not finding a lot on the latter.Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssafro1
So not a newbie but I have run into a situation which requires me to have to do something which I have never done before...

I am taking a connecting flight from ORD-STL-DFW. In an effort to maximize my day in STL (to say hi to family), I plan on standing by on an earlier ORD-STL flight. Having done that a billion times, I get how that one works. However, what is the process of standing by for the later STL-DFW flight. There is 1 flight at a later departure time that evening. I have never tried standing by for a later flight.. can anyone give me clues as to what I need to do, or how it works? Lots of detail on the former standby for the earlier but not finding a lot on the latter.Thanks!
I've never done a later standby either, but supposedly you just call AA on the day of departure, tell them you can't make your original flight and to add you to the list for the later one. Obviously the big risk is not making it.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I've never done a later standby either, but supposedly you just call AA on the day of departure, tell them you can't make your original flight and to add you to the list for the later one. Obviously the big risk is not making it.
So there in lies the question I am after. With standing by for an earlier one, worse comes to worse and you take the flight you are originally scheduled on later that day. But if you standby fro a later flight, and it is full (assuming they let you do this and that there really can't be a "list" like the other flights where people are trying to get on an earlier flight...) what happens?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ssafro1
So there in lies the question I am after. With standing by for an earlier one, worse comes to worse and you take the flight you are originally scheduled on later that day. But if you standby fro a later flight, and it is full (assuming they let you do this and that there really can't be a "list" like the other flights where people are trying to get on an earlier flight...) what happens?
Not sure what the question is here, but you would be on the standby list for the later flight. Obviously, if you don't clear you won't be able to make your original flight (presuming time travel is not revealed by then). Unless AA chooses to book you on another carrier (and they are not obligated to do that) you should be moved to the next flight until you clear. Don't expect any food/hotel vouchers, but again, the GA may choose to do so.

Using the "flat tire" rule or later standby is a best effort situation. I know someone that was stuck in HNL for three days trying to get off the island and even then he had to fly to SFO via ORD! If your risk tolerance is low, do not miss your scheduled flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.