Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by lad2
Couple questions for upcoming award flights. I have no AA status. Booked the following in business ORD-YYZ-HKG-SGN. Flights are AA3630-CX829-CX765.

Do I have access to Admirals Club in ORD T3? How about AA Flagship? I tried looking up access rules but got confused due to AA's rules vs oneworld rules.

Also can I check my bags all the way through SGN or do I have to collect & recheck them at YYZ?

Thanks.
You have access to all oneworld business class lounges as long as you have a departing oneworld marketed and operated flight from that airport.

So: you have Admirals Club access in ORD (not FL access, as that is a first class lounge). Not too familiar with YYZ, but the oneworld website tells me that there is an AC there, a BA Galleries Club lounge there, and a third party CX lounge there. CX has the Wing and the Pier at HKG. Haven't been in either, but the Wing is newly refurbished and I've heard good things about it.

The oneworld lounge website is here. http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

You should be able to check your bags through.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
You have access to all oneworld business class lounges as long as you have a departing oneworld marketed and operated flight from that airport.

So: you have Admirals Club access in ORD (not FL access, as that is a first class lounge). Not too familiar with YYZ, but the oneworld website tells me that there is an AC there, a BA Galleries Club lounge there, and a third party CX lounge there. CX has the Wing and the Pier at HKG. Haven't been in either, but the Wing is newly refurbished and I've heard good things about it.

The oneworld lounge website is here. http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

You should be able to check your bags through.
Thanks. I'm curious about FL access in ORD. The ticket was booked as business, but flight AA3630 is 2-class so I'm technically i'm seating in First class.

In YYZ, I do have access to all these lounges: BA Galleries, KLM Crown, and Plaza Premium. Correct?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by lad2
Thanks. I'm curious about FL access in ORD. The ticket was booked as business, but flight AA3630 is 2-class so I'm technically i'm seating in First class.

In YYZ, I do have access to all these lounges: BA Galleries, KLM Crown, and Plaza Premium. Correct?
I'm not sure about the Plaza Premium because it is operated by a contracted third party on behalf of Finnair. Because you are flying CX, you should have access to the KLM lounge CX uses. Actually, the oneworld website says AC access is restricted to those flying to the US. I'm not sure if that's enforced. You're welcome to give it a try if you really want to hit all the lounges. BA Galleries, yes, as it's a real BA lounge.

2-class first doesn't qualify. Sorry. Here is the relevant criteria.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp

Is two-class first to Canada even marketed as first? I would've thought it would be marketed as business. Regardless, Canada is not considered as international with regards to lounge access. Your lounge access entitlement is not due to your ORD-YYZ flight, but due to your long haul TPAC flight on CX.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I'm not sure about the Plaza Premium because it is operated by a contracted third party on behalf of Finnair. Because you are flying CX, you should have access to the KLM lounge CX uses. Actually, the oneworld website says AC access is restricted to those flying to the US. I'm not sure if that's enforced. You're welcome to give it a try if you really want to hit all the lounges. BA Galleries, yes, as it's a real BA lounge.

2-class first doesn't qualify. Sorry. Here is the relevant criteria.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp

Is two-class first to Canada even marketed as first? I would've thought it would be marketed as business. Regardless, Canada is not considered as international with regards to lounge access. Your lounge access entitlement is not due to your ORD-YYZ flight, but due to your long haul TPAC flight on CX.
Thanks for the FL link, that spells out pretty clearly that only first class on three-class flights are eligible. You're right it wouldn't work for my flight even if it's marketed as first class, which it is not (checked). @YYZ, I'll definitely hit the KLM & BA lounge. But since the other lounges are also in T3, I want to see if I can stop in real quick (maybe not enough time).
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:14 pm

How can I book on AA.com openskies in PE from ORY to EWR and back in cheapest economy on AA JFK-CDG ? Also how can I choose the fare class on AA.com ? (I want to book a fare which allow double miles promotion for the openskies flight to the US) Also does this promotion called "paris" (or France not sure) apply if I don't use the JFK/CDG leg ? Thank you
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:55 am

IS AA reimbursing EXP members if they want to enroll in the Global Entry program?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 5:33 am

I am flying DFW-LHR in a few weeks in J. I think the aircraft will be the (older) B772 rather than the B777-300ER, am I correct?

Also, I booked business class BA.com but I know the service will actually be operated by American Airlines.

Which is the better lounge to use at DFW? The BA Executive Club lounge or the Admirals club?

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EK029
Which is the better lounge to use at DFW? The BA Executive Club lounge or the Admirals club?

Thanks
In this rare instance, the AA Admiral's club in D is quite a bit superior to the BA Executive Lounge. Probably the only instance I can think of where this holds. Think open and spacious with nice views, versus the opposite on all counts

Cheers.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by EK029
I am flying DFW-LHR in a few weeks in J. I think the aircraft will be the (older) B772 rather than the B777-300ER, am I correct?
AA operates two DFW-LHR flights. Presently the earlier flight (AA50) is the new 77W, and the later (AA78) is on the older 777.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT,HH DIAMOND,HYATT GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
CK

Firstly before i get started here i must say I'm very disappointed in the AA pre printed form letter response's that some winter intern at Dallas executive office sends to Exec Plat members.

Two years ago in December 2011 i receive a call from CK office's saying they were reviewing my account for a possible CK card for 2012. In February 2012 i receive another call saying basically CK was not approved for 2012 But if i continue the same pace of travels and made more International travel in Business & first that my account would be reviewed again at end of 2012.

Which brings me to february 2013 when i get the lovely form letter saying that my account still did not make the grade for a CK card for 2013.

I'm well aware to qualify for CK is NOT based on miles !! Got IT.
CK members are mostly made of of people who are in a job position to book travel for their executives. But CK also has individual members that meet this magical formula to qualify.

So here are the facts and if you or any other CK members reading this would like to make a comment I'm all ears.

2012:

244.769 EQP
161,233 EQM

4 First class trips to Asia
1 Business class trip to South America
4 Business class trips to Europe
2 First class trips to Europe
2 Business class trips to Australia

77 domestic flights within U.S.
4 Million mile member
Exec Plat 10 out of 12 years running

Ive said for years that the loyalty department should create a forum for advice, feedback, suggestion box from AA's top of the top flyers. Who better to give suggestions then the people who fly AA the most ?? simple right ? well to this day I've flown 4 million miles and have been Exec Plat for 10 out of 12 past years and I've never been asked my opinion on ANY AA matter.

Truthfully if United Airlines matched my status and offered the Global Service United Air Status (equal to CK) i would very seriously think of jumping ship.

Thank You everyone for reading this.

Sincerely

disappointed AA FF
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
rangle4564, while I appreciate your frustration, given the criteria for CK membership are proprietary and closely held, there is no way any of us would be in a position to make any judgement. (Nor, IMO, has anyone demonstrated any compelling reason CK is genuinely of much use most of the time we are flying.

As to surveys, focus groups, etc. apparently you and I just aren't "juicy" enough for AA to involve or query (and my profile is not too far from yours, albeit I haven't had lapses in my EXP, am a longtime Admirals Club member and have flown A extensively since the mid-1940s).

They just really don't care why we fly. And I go on with my life. :double winkie:
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:46 am

No, but if you are an American Express Platinum or Centurion member, they will. (Honestly, I can not think of any reason AA would do so.)

Originally Posted by kaiotes
IS AA reimbursing EXP members if they want to enroll in the Global Entry program?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:49 am

Not sure of the question - OpenSkies flies EWR-ORY, not JFK-CDG and I am a bit confused with your itinerary.

Regardless, if you put a fare on Hold on aa.com and call web services they can usually accommodate "upfaring" to the required fare bucket so you can benefit from double miles, and then you can go back online and purchase it. It has been a while since I have done that, so if anything has changed, one of our knowledgeable members will core ct my post.

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
How can I book on AA.com openskies in PE from ORY to EWR and back in cheapest economy on AA JFK-CDG ? Also how can I choose the fare class on AA.com ? (I want to book a fare which allow double miles promotion for the openskies flight to the US) Also does this promotion called "paris" (or France not sure) apply if I don't use the JFK/CDG leg ? Thank you
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:41 am

You cannot choose a specific booking class on AA.com other than what it offers you, but you can do what JDiver suggests. Put a reservation on hold, and then call AA to have it upfared to the booking code you want (the regular reservations desk will do this). This method is often used for challenges to get fares that earn 1.0+ EQP.

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Originally Posted by JDiver
Not sure of the question - OpenSkies flies EWR-ORY, not JFK-CDG and I am a bit confused with your itinerary.

Regardless, if you put a fare on Hold on aa.com and call web services they can usually accommodate "upfaring" to the required fare bucket so you can benefit from double miles, and then you can go back online and purchase it. It has been a while since I have done that, so if anything has changed, one of our knowledgeable members will core ct my post.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:00 pm

Not sure of the question - OpenSkies flies EWR-ORY, not JFK-CDG and I am a bit confused with your itinerary..
Most probably I won't use the return segment, but if I need to use it I prefer to be in MCE on AA than regular economy on openskies. Just thinking that maybe I should just book the return on openskies as well as the premium economy is about the same rate than economy. (if I can be sure ot have AA EQM)

Regardless, if you put a fare on Hold on aa.com and call web services they can usually accommodate "upfaring" to the required fare bucket so you can benefit from double miles, and then you can go back online and purchase it. ..
Thank you for the advice

It has been a while since I have done that, so if anything has changed, one of our knowledgeable members will corect my post.
I love this one..., because you're not knowledgeable... JDiver not knowledgeable.... very funny hahahah,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.