Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by GregLeg
At the risk of asking a question that's been asked in the previous 38 pages

How good is American with passengers with disabilities? My wife is in a wheelchair, and we've found (perhaps somewhat surprisingly) that USAirways has been the friendliest airline for that, but we haven't tried AA.

For example, most recently we flew a US/UA codeshared routing. The US-operated legs were great -- for each flight, a gate attendant came over to us early to see if we needed anything, told us what time they'd load us on, were very careful with her (custom) wheelchair, and were generally READY for her.

UA, on the other hand, was a mess. We had a connecting flight home, both legs on UA. For the first leg, we were at the gate an hour early, my wife is clearly in a wheelchair, I went over to talk to a gate attendant (once I could FIND one), and in spite of all that, they didn't bother to call for an aisle chair until they were already preboarding, and then tried to blame *us* for delaying the flight ("well you were supposed to be here early" "We WERE").

Then on the connection, they did the SAME THING.

So, what can we expect from AA? Will they be useful like US, useless like UA, or somewhere in the middle?
My mother requires assistance when traveling - but is able to board the plane herself. We've found AA consistently good with their assistance. I *always* call AA, about 36 hrs before departure, and double check her reservation to reconfirm that "assistance" is visible on her record.

The biggest problem used to be confusion re: wheelchair assignments when deplaning. Someone would get off the plane, see a wheelchair and sit in it, perhaps w/a reservation, perhaps not. Now the chairs have small screens attached to them w/the passengers last name so no such confusion.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I've got about 3K miles confirmed in my AAdvantage shopping account that haven't posted to my mileage account yet. I need to book a flight ASAP anyway AA could "spot" me the miles or expedite them posting so I can book flight today?
No. But, if the miles are due to post shortly, then perhaps you could call and ask that the hold for the award be extended.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostonsun
I want to use my and my husband's AA miles for 2 J seats on BOS-NRT-BKK return, on JAL for this summer. Looking at the award chart it says US to Asia2 is 55K each way for "transpacific only". Since BOS-NRT is a direct flight (once the 787s are up again) but over the pole toward the west, does that count as transpacific or is my only option to fly from ORD or LAX on CX? Thank you!
The "transpacific" note means that from Boston, you couldn't fly to NRT via say, LHR. The route you suggest would be an Asia2 award.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, UA Gold
Thank you bdemaria!
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:46 am

Can I receive EQMs if my boyfriend shares miles with me via AA.com? We recently flew together and we each received 10K EQMs. He isn't interested in elite status and offered to transfer his 10K EQMs to me (AA.com charges $150 for the privilege to share miles). If he transfers the miles to my account, will I received EQMs or simply get 10K of redeemable miles?

I read through both AA's transfer and elite status guidelines, but didn't see anything that mentioned this scenario. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has first-hand experience with this issue.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: AA and UA aluminium foil, Hilton gold
Anyone able to answer?

Hi folks. Just asking my question again in case someone is able to answer.
Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by nadaranch
Hello all. I am sure somewhere in the miriade of upgrade threads the answer may exist but I have yet to run across it. So, I am hoping that you kind folks here would be able to provide an answer.

We have reservations from KOA to LAX (return leg) for May. Due to capacity controls we were not able to upgrade with miles at time of original booking which was October. They put us on an upgrade waiting list at that time.

This week I noticed a glitch in the itinerary where apparently the LAX/HNL/KOA outbound had the HA interisland flight HNL to KOA cancelled and we weren't changed to another flight. Anyway, a call to AA got it resolved eventually, but i noticed later that now the reservation shows the ticketing date as this past Wednesday when the "correction" occurred.

My question is, would the new "ticketed" date affect our place in the upgrade request list? I can hear the automated system say that we still have that request in place when I call, but was curious now about the "order". (Keeping my fingers crossed that in the slim chance that this would go thru fate would chose to shine favorably.) :-:

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nadaranch
Hi folks. Just asking my question again in case someone is able to answer.
Thanks in advance.
Most likely no impact. But you should call Web services (800-222-2377) to ask as we have no way of knowing for sure. They do.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
No. But, if the miles are due to post shortly, then perhaps you could call and ask that the hold for the award be extended.

Thanks for responding, I will definitely give them a call today. I didn't know there was a way to "hold" an award let alone extend it. Can that be done online?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ivyfinest
Can I receive EQMs if my boyfriend shares miles with me via AA.com? We recently flew together and we each received 10K EQMs. He isn't interested in elite status and offered to transfer his 10K EQMs to me (AA.com charges $150 for the privilege to share miles). If he transfers the miles to my account, will I received EQMs or simply get 10K of redeemable miles?

I read through both AA's transfer and elite status guidelines, but didn't see anything that mentioned this scenario. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has first-hand experience with this issue.
Sorry, only redeemable miles get shared.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Thanks for responding, I will definitely give them a call today. I didn't know there was a way to "hold" an award let alone extend it. Can that be done online?
Sure. Just go through the reservation process on aa.com as usual, and at the very end, down in the payment options section, you should see a choice for AAdvantage Hold. Usually you get a 5 day hold, sometimes shorter if the flight date is soon.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
If I'm scheduled to take a red-eye (leaving @ 12:30am), then can I fly standby on a flight that leaves several hours before (i.e., between 6pm - midnight)?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Sure. Just go through the reservation process on aa.com as usual, and at the very end, down in the payment options section, you should see a choice for AAdvantage Hold. Usually you get a 5 day hold, sometimes shorter if the flight date is soon.

Held until the 5th, praying that miles post by then. Thanks so much
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Exit row seating

Flying flt 161 , 2459 on a 757.
Row 9

Both rows 9 and 10 are marked exit. I thought exit rows had no or restricted recline.
Looked on seat guru and it does not say anything about limited recline.( they do mention no recline on the 737). I asked a CS agent and they said it does( but I wasn't convinced).
It is sold as a premium seat so I find it hard to believe it does not recline.
I know there is a whole debate on whether or not to recline but I must a touch or I can't walk after .
Where can I find out if this seat reclines at all.
The 757 seating thread did not clear this up for me
Thank you

Last edited by Plato1; Mar 1, 2013 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered a thousand times. I've had a rough couple of days and am sleep deprived
2/26/13 I was scheduled SEA-ORD-DSM all on AA. When I got to ORD at 12:20 and turned on my phone, I had a message from AA stating that my ORD-DSM at 2pm was cancelled and I was placed on the 2/27 at 0700. However, that would mean I'd miss my meeting, the reason for my travel. I spent an hour on the phone with booking and was then booked ORD-MSP-DSM with ORD-MSP on AA departing at 5:30pm and MSP-DSM departing at 9:33pm on DL.

Long story short, 5:30 gets delayed (over and over) until 7:55pm when the gate agent announces the plane is ready but one member of the crew (FA) is not present so we can't board. Crew member arrives at 8:30 and we board. We then spent an hour de-icing so I miss my connection in MSP. (the FA was incredibly rude and racist but that's probably a different story)
There is no flight from MSP that can get me to DSM in time for my meeting. My only option is to drive. So I cancel the MSP-DSM and will drive. I go to baggage claim and my bag is still in ORD, even though they had HOURS to get it on the correct flight (at least be prepared to get it on the plane). I am told my bag is not lost but "mishandled" and "Delayed" They will send my bag to the hotel (in the morning).
Fast forward, I have no clothes or toiletries and an early AM meeting I must now drive nearly 4 hours to get to in poor weather.
I did stop and purchase some cheap clothes to change into. Will I get reimbursed for that?
I did receive my bag 19 hours after I disembarked in MSP. Will I get any compensation (I realize that weather was a factor in the delay, but crew was too. Additionally, the delayed bag)? If so, How do I go about this?
The standard answer is: "email Customer Service, follow up with a phone call the next week if they haven't replied." I would ordinarily not expect compensation for the delayed bag, as it was under 24 hrs, but what with the driving and the meeting, you probably have a good case. good luck!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by XLR26
If I'm scheduled to take a red-eye (leaving @ 12:30am), then can I fly standby on a flight that leaves several hours before (i.e., between 6pm - midnight)?
The rules say no, it must be the same calendar day. But there are anecdotes here of sympathetic gate agents who have allowed it. You may get lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.