Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:09 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gogo419
Ok! Hopefully i am safe posting this question here!?

I want to purchase a cheap economy YVR-LAX ticket through AA.com. Meaning the booking will be ticketed with an AA flight number, however the flight will be operated by Alaskan.

I am OWE (QF Platinum) And was wanting to know if because my ticket has an AA flight number will this allow me to check my bag in for free? As per the AA baggage policies for OWE passengers?

Do i check in at AA or AS counters and if i check in at AS counters will i have problems proving that i am entitled to check the bag in for free!?

Hopefully this all makes sense and someone can give me an answer!?

If i have confused you!? Well sorry and let me know and i will try and explain my question better?

cheers gogo
I don't know the complete answer (and, unfortunately, not to the most important question ), but:

Be aware that AS are not a OW carrier, so this may impact application of the OW rules.

Always check in with the operating carrier at the airport, AS in this case.

Edit: I did find the answer on AA.com

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...fits-chart.jsp

I found (bold mine)

Waived Checked Baggage Charge on American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection carrier and Alaska Airlines
Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by gogo419
Ok! Hopefully i am safe posting this question here!?

I want to purchase a cheap economy YVR-LAX ticket through AA.com. Meaning the booking will be ticketed with an AA flight number, however the flight will be operated by Alaskan.

I am OWE (QF Platinum) And was wanting to know if because my ticket has an AA flight number will this allow me to check my bag in for free? As per the AA baggage policies for OWE passengers?

Do i check in at AA or AS counters and if i check in at AS counters will i have problems proving that i am entitled to check the bag in for free!?

Hopefully this all makes sense and someone can give me an answer!?

If i have confused you!? Well sorry and let me know and i will try and explain my question better?

cheers gogo
So this is a bit of a complicated question. Firstly, I think it is very likely that AS will think that you are not entitled to any free checked luggage.

AA might say that the AS baggage policy governs this trip, and QF Platinum certainly do not have any extra baggage allowance on purely AS coded/operated.

On AA's baggage charges page they even state:
On codeshare flights operated by other carriers, the baggage allowance and charges of the operating carrier may apply.
This is in direct contravention of DOT orders:

A second issue of concern stems from airline tariffs related to code-share service. As a
condition for approval of international code-share services, the Department has as a
matter of policy required that "the carrier selling such transportation (i.e., the carrier
shown on the ticket) accept responsibility for the entirety of the code-share journey for all
obligations established in the contract of carriage with the passenger; and that the
passenger liability of the operating carrier be unaffected.” (Order 2008-5-19, OST-2008-
0064).4
Notwithstanding this clear language, several carriers have filed tariff provisions
that purport to apply the terms and conditions of the operating carrier’s contract of
carriage generally, or in certain areas such as check-in time limits, unaccompanied
minors, carriage of animals, refusal to transport, oxygen service, irregular operations,
denied boarding compensation, and baggage acceptance, allowance and liability. Others
state that passengers on code-share flights “may be subject” to the operating carrier’s
baggage charges. A number of carriers have no clear tariff rule on the subject. The
intent of this DOT code-share approval provision may not be circumvented by tariff
provisions attempting to allocate responsibility and contract of carriage provisions in
different ways by the carriers involved, or by silence on the subject. As with the
exclusionary provisions cited above, carriers should review their tariffs and practices and
make revisions, if necessary, to reflect the conditions imposed in the Department’s orders
approving code-share service.

As a oneworld Emerald you are entitled to 2 50lb/23kg checked bags for free. If I were you I might write to AA (or even AS?) ahead of time with these concerns to receive a response in writing. I think I might actually just file a complaint with the Aviation Enforcement Division now to get this illegal tariff provision fixed!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:39 pm

Can I combine vouchers with gift cards?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:14 pm

So I'm not sure if I should post this in here or on the Finnair forum. Decided to post here since I purchased a rewards ticket through AAdvantage.

Basically, my parents used their miles for a one-way business class ticket for me to Warsaw as a graduation present. My routing is BOS - JFK - HEL - WAW. Since Boston - JFK is operated by AA I was able to select my seat on that sector.

JFK - HEL and HEL - WAW are operated by Finnair but I guess since the flights aren't operated by AA the website won't let me select my seat. It's not a huge deal- but I'd just really like to get one of the stand-alone window seats since I'm traveling alone. There was nothing on the Finnair website that said one way or another. But while looking for an answer to this I stumbled upon the British Airways (and took note of it since BA is also a oneworld partner) and found this: "If your flight is operated by British Airways but has been made through another airline then you may be able to choose your seat. This is dependent on the airline you have booked with."

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:19 pm

In the past, I have had to call to select seats. Also, if you can figure out the Finnair record locator, you might be able to do it from their site.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
It depends on the type of voucher. eVouchers can easily be used with gift cards on aa.com.

Originally Posted by nall
Can I combine vouchers with gift cards?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:18 pm

In the past, I have had to call to select seats. Also, if you can figure out the Finnair record locator, you might be able to do it from their site.
Called American and got the Finnair booking code. Should've just done this to begin with. Thank you so much for the help though. I'm just really looking forward to this flight!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:43 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Can I use both a voucher and a gift card on the same reservation? (Note that there will still be a small balance left after using both of these.)
Originally Posted by JY1024
Are you using an eVoucher or paper voucher? If you're using eVoucher, you can definitely use a combination of eVouchers and gift cards - up to 8 total - on one PNR.

As for paper vouchers, I had a hunch, but wasn't sure, so I called EXP. The EXP AAgent confirmed my initial suspicion that paper vouchers CANNOT be used with gift cards/eVouchers on the same ticket. They can do paper vouchers with credit card, credit card with eVoucher/gift cards, but NOT paper vouchers and gift cards/eVouchers. I even asked if a ticket AAgent at the airport would be able to make it work; apparently, TA's can't do it either.

(Sigh...AA's archaic IT system can be frustrating; even the EXP AAgent was sympathetic. I'm sure the systems are frustrating for everyone involved - employees, vendors, passengers, cargo customers, etc.)
My previous answer to your previous query...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:59 am

Credit Card Rewards Programs that transfers to AA at 1:1 Ratio

What credit card reward program(s) transfers points to AAdvantage at a 1:1 ratio? I know Membership rewards and Ultimate rewards do not. TIA
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:37 am

Thanks JDiver! Throw in some rapidly changing plans, sleep deprivation, odd things happen

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
What credit card reward program(s) transfers points to AAdvantage at a 1:1 ratio? I know Membership rewards and Ultimate rewards do not. TIA
The only one I'm aware of in the US is Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG). There have been rumors that Citi ThankYou points might be transferrable in the future, but nothing yet.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:42 am

Thanks JDiver! Throw in some rapidly changing plans, sleep deprivation, odd things happen

The only one I'm aware of in the US is Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG). There have been rumors that Citi ThankYou points might be transferrable in the future, but nothing yet.
Great! Thank you!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
SPG offers a 5K bonus when you transfer out 20K, so if you wait to do that many at once, it's actually 1:1.25, so even better than 1:1.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by swag
SPG offers a 5K bonus when you transfer out 20K, so if you wait to do that many at once, it's actually 1:1.25, so even better than 1:1.
Yes, this is what I did with my Starwood points for my 4 Rt tickets to Hawaii. You can transfer up to 79,999 per day out of Starwood, but to take advantage of the promotion, you would need to transfer 60K points per day and get 15K points bonus which would equal 75K points per day.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:47 am

LAX to Europe ONE WORLD business?

Hello - I hope I am asking this question in the right place. This is my first post. I am looking to travel LAX to Paris March 13-20 with hubby (NO KIDS I have 125K miles. Looking to fly business class if possible (I can buy more miles or possibly borrow from family) if I can find an awesome flight to either London (then Chunnel or fly to Paris) or LAX to Paris or other city in France and then train to Paris. Wondering which One World partner would have the best business class flights. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thank you!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sinnercin
Hello - I hope I am asking this question in the right place. This is my first post. I am looking to travel LAX to Paris March 13-20 with hubby (NO KIDS I have 125K miles. Looking to fly business class if possible (I can buy more miles or possibly borrow from family) if I can find an awesome flight to either London (then Chunnel or fly to Paris) or LAX to Paris or other city in France and then train to Paris. Wondering which One World partner would have the best business class flights. Any help or suggestions appreciated. Thank you!
Welcome to FT!

Why limit yourself to oneworld partners? AA's non-oneworld partner, Air Tahiti Nui, flies LAX-CDG nonstop. AA partner Jet Airways (9W) flies to BRU from both EWR and YYZ, so you might be able to fly LAX-EWR/YYZ on AA, and then continue on 9W to BRU, with a train from BRU to PAR.

Other options include AA or BA to LHR (but there are very high surcharges if you redeem on BA); IB LAX-MAD-ORY; and AB LAX-TXL-ORY. AA, BA, and IB options will show on aa.com; for IB, TN, and 9W, you must call AA.

Frankly, however, finding two Business Class award seats on the same flights less than a month from now may prove challenging. And because March 13 is less than 21 days away, AA will hit you with a close-in award fee of $75/person, unless you have elite status in the AAdvantage program.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.