Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:24 am

MileSAAver

Trying use AA miles book flight IND to EZE with 50K Business/First MileSAAver OR 62.5K First MileSAAver
I have flown to EZE from states 40+ times last 25 years so I know GOOD - BAD & UGLY of buying tickets or using mileage.

It takes me 3 years on average get enough miles be able use 50K Business/First MileSAAver OR 62.5K First MileSAAver This year as of Feb 5th there were several dates (6-10) available during June and July for either of these MileSAAver BUT sometime around Feb 10th ALL become unavailable not only for June & July but also for May and still shows unavailable on AA flights. All become unavailable same day SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT
OH these are available at DOUBLE cost / miles- I don’t think this had anything do with X amount seats.

As I mentioned - I know GOOD - BAD & UGLY I keeping looking / checking couple times each day hoping BUT ? Buy ticket now coach class or keep waiting and hoping as there is no waiting list or standby list which person can do for these 50K Business/First MileSAAver OR 62.5K First MileSAAver BUT I also know AA employees or retires and family can be on standby and get on this same flts if / when available.
Seems I may have wasted last 3 years WORKING very hard at getting enough miles fly 1st class one more time. Try doing this after 75 years of age BUT who wants hear about seniors - retires

I assume that I am like many other AAdvantage members VERY disappointed
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Upgrades and Soft Landing to GLD

Quick question for you fellow FT'ers:

I am scheduled to fly on March 1st, and I put in a sticker UPG request for my flight. I am also going to drop down to GLD on March 1st because I missed the PLT qualification level by about 10K miles.

I am currently PLT. Will my upgrade still be processed as if I were PLT because I'm a PLT now (i.e. 3 days out) even though I'll be GLD on the day of the flight? Or is the system smart enough to know that I'll be a GLD on flight day?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brewdog11

I am scheduled to fly on March 1st, and I put in a sticker UPG request for my flight. I am also going to drop down to GLD on March 1st because I missed the PLT qualification level by about 10K miles.

I am currently PLT. Will my upgrade still be processed as if I were PLT because I'm a PLT now (i.e. 3 days out) even though I'll be GLD on the day of the flight? Or is the system smart enough to know that I'll be a GLD on flight day?
Generally (and note that generally is in bold), the system will not catch your change in cases like this as long as you don't make any reservation changes after the status drop. I'm not sure if seat changes would trigger anything.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by brp
Generally (and note that generally is in bold), the system will not catch your change in cases like this as long as you don't make any reservation changes after the status drop. I'm not sure if seat changes would trigger anything.

Cheers.
This seems logical. I don't plan to change the reservation or the seat for the flight. Good thing I already secured an exit row just in case! Thanks, brp!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by 10garem
Trying use AA miles book flight IND to EZE with 50K Business/First MileSAAver OR 62.5K First MileSAAver
I have flown to EZE from states 40+ times last 25 years so I know GOOD - BAD & UGLY of buying tickets or using mileage.

It takes me 3 years on average get enough miles be able use 50K Business/First MileSAAver OR 62.5K First MileSAAver This year as of Feb 5th there were several dates (6-10) available during June and July for either of these MileSAAver BUT sometime around Feb 10th ALL become unavailable not only for June & July but also for May and still shows unavailable on AA flights. All become unavailable same day SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT
OH these are available at DOUBLE cost / miles- I don’t think this had anything do with X amount seats.

As I mentioned - I know GOOD - BAD & UGLY I keeping looking / checking couple times each day hoping BUT ? Buy ticket now coach class or keep waiting and hoping as there is no waiting list or standby list which person can do for these 50K Business/First MileSAAver OR 62.5K First MileSAAver BUT I also know AA employees or retires and family can be on standby and get on this same flts if / when available.
Seems I may have wasted last 3 years WORKING very hard at getting enough miles fly 1st class one more time. Try doing this after 75 years of age BUT who wants hear about seniors - retires

Do you have a question? If you would like help with booking your MileSAAver award, we have a consolidated thread for that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

If you saw the seats available, you should have booked them then, or at least put them on hold.

If you want to fly F/J, there are a number of ways for you to do so. You can either buy the seats outright, you can buy a coach seat and upgrade using miles+copay, or you can book an award.

SAAver availability is capacity controlled. AAnytime awards are not; if a seat is available for sale, it is available as an AAnytime award (there might be some exceptions regarding oversold situations). SAAver availability is unpredictable and completely up to AA's Revenue Management.

AA's website does not show availability on LAN, so you might want to call AA to check that. If you don't want to check everyday for awards, I suggest signing up for a subscription service like ExpertFlyer to do that for you.

Also, it's not that hard to get RDMs. You can buy them outright. When AA has one of its promos going on, it can be a pretty good deal to buy miles if you redeem them for international premium travel.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

AA had a business class sale to EZE two weeks ago, for flights into June, at some very aggressive prices (under $1000 round trip). That doesn't explain July flights, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold enough of these premium cabin seats to quickly deplete the saver award inventory for May and early June.

If you travel to EZE that often, but only have the miles for the award once every 3 years, then just save the miles for the next trip, if nothing opens up for this one.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by brewdog11

Well, I would think system will legitimately consider you to be a PLT since at the time when upgrade is to be confirmed for al PLT pacs, you indeed are a PLT (it does not matter if you won't be PLT when you actually fly).

I think you are just fine, whether you actually get upgrade or not is a different story

Cheers!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Well, I would think system will legitimately consider you to be a PLT since at the time when upgrade is to be confirmed for al PLT pacs, you indeed are a PLT (it does not matter if you won't be PLT when you actually fly). !
This is incorrect. What matters is status when you fly, not when you request the upgrade. You have this backwards. I still believe that it will work in this case, but the legitimate status would be GLD.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:04 pm

Thanks for replies and suggestions BUT as with many things - easier said than done. Difficult use 50K Business/First MileSAAver OR 62.5K First MileSAAver
Now shows not available from May through Dec 31st on aa.com OR calling their 800 number talk with person. ? have they did away with these two milesaavers or just turn into waiting game.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by brp
This is incorrect. What matters is status when you fly, not when you request the upgrade. You have this backwards. I still believe that it will work in this case, but the legitimate status would be GLD.

Cheers.
Hello brp, well, I agree, status when you "make" request does not matter. What I mentioned is that: Status when the "upgrade window" opens matters and not when you actually are "flying".

In this unique case, since user is Plt, upgrade window for him/her opens 72 hour before scheduled departure (which is roughly 3 days before March 1) and at that time, user is PLT. He/she loses PLT on March 1, so he is indeed a legitimate PLT when window opens and that's what matters.

Cheers!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Compensation

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered a thousand times. I've had a rough couple of days and am sleep deprived

2/26/13 I was scheduled SEA-ORD-DSM all on AA. When I got to ORD at 12:20 and turned on my phone, I had a message from AA stating that my ORD-DSM at 2pm was cancelled and I was placed on the 2/27 at 0700. However, that would mean I'd miss my meeting, the reason for my travel. I spent an hour on the phone with booking and was then booked ORD-MSP-DSM with ORD-MSP on AA departing at 5:30pm and MSP-DSM departing at 9:33pm on DL.

Long story short, 5:30 gets delayed (over and over) until 7:55pm when the gate agent announces the plane is ready but one member of the crew (FA) is not present so we can't board. Crew member arrives at 8:30 and we board. We then spent an hour de-icing so I miss my connection in MSP. (the FA was incredibly rude and racist but that's probably a different story)

There is no flight from MSP that can get me to DSM in time for my meeting. My only option is to drive. So I cancel the MSP-DSM and will drive. I go to baggage claim and my bag is still in ORD, even though they had HOURS to get it on the correct flight (at least be prepared to get it on the plane). I am told my bag is not lost but "mishandled" and "Delayed" They will send my bag to the hotel (in the morning).

Fast forward, I have no clothes or toiletries and an early AM meeting I must now drive nearly 4 hours to get to in poor weather.

I did stop and purchase some cheap clothes to change into. Will I get reimbursed for that?

I did receive my bag 19 hours after I disembarked in MSP. Will I get any compensation (I realize that weather was a factor in the delay, but crew was too. Additionally, the delayed bag)? If so, How do I go about this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Hello brp, well, I agree, status when you "make" request does not matter. What I mentioned is that: Status when the "upgrade window" opens matters and not when you actually are "flying".

In this unique case, since user is Plt, upgrade window for him/her opens 72 hour before scheduled departure (which is roughly 3 days before March 1) and at that time, user is PLT. He/she loses PLT on March 1, so he is indeed a legitimate PLT when window opens and that's what matters.

Cheers!
I think status matters both when the window opens and when you fly.

Being PLT when the window opens gets you cleared. But you still need status when you board. In this case, dropping to GLD is sufficient.

But consider a non-requalifying GLD who puts in an advance request for a sticker upgrade for a March 1 flight, and clears on Feb 28. I suspect they are in for an unpleasant surprise when they try to board.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I have a ticketed booking (made on AA.com) where I originally entered my BAEC FFP details. Am I able to change this online now to my AA FFP?

Seem to be struggling with it at the moment! Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by swag
I think status matters both when the window opens and when you fly.

Being PLT when the window opens gets you cleared. But you still need status when you board. In this case, dropping to GLD is sufficient.

But consider a non-requalifying GLD who puts in an advance request for a sticker upgrade for a March 1 flight, and clears on Feb 28. I suspect they are in for an unpleasant surprise when they try to board.
Yeppp, you might be right for GLD getting a surprise . By the way, I went through AA rules about upgrades and could not find a definitive answer.

Cheers!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I have a ticketed booking (made on AA.com) where I originally entered my BAEC FFP details. Am I able to change this online now to my AA FFP?

Seem to be struggling with it at the moment! Am I missing something here?
I have always been able to make such changes on my AA.com reservation through: My Reservations. I am not really sure how you entered your BA FF# in that field though.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.