Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:48 pm

Total newbie...We have about 150k AA miles. Is there a way to get from IND to Nadi, Fiji with these miles?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Courthorn
Total newbie...We have about 150k AA miles. Is there a way to get from IND to Nadi, Fiji with these miles?
Yes. NAN is served by Air Pacific to HNL/LAX, both of which are reachable by AA. IND-NAN might require 2 stops total.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: AA
Just a quick message to say thank you, thank you to all the FT members whose posts I've scoured over the last couple of months as I hoarded miles and, now, booked award tickets for myself and my dude to Asia next winter. Couldn't have done it without you!

Now, to patiently wait out the next nine months...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by frangrit
Just a quick message to say thank you, thank you to all the FT members whose posts I've scoured over the last couple of months as I hoarded miles and, now, booked award tickets for myself and my dude to Asia next winter. Couldn't have done it without you!

Now, to patiently wait out the next nine months...
+1

Yes, I appreciate these newbie lounges as it helps direct us what to do, or where to go! And most importantly, flame free!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What the *!&$!!# do you mean, flame free?

Seriously, we are happy when new members take the time to visit the lounge thread, look around and get their bearings, use the resources and valuable information other members have taken the time and energy to post, and benefit from it. I also believe it's a very nice thing to stop by and thank those who have helped when one benefits, as well. ^

As you progress in your experience, stay and share...

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
+1

Yes, I appreciate these newbie lounges as it helps direct us what to do, or where to go! And most importantly, flame free!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:30 am

Newbie AA lounge help booking tix NYC to FCO late July

Sorting through posts (my head is going to explode) need help/direction in booking possibly 4-6 tix from any NYC area airports to Rome depart July 26, 27, 28, or 29th return Aug 10th -13th.

Plan to use our (new) AAdvantage Citicard but not enough miles for a free fare.

Does it make sense to go thru AA since it is the higher priced option although the shortest, non stop to Rome?
I've read that Brirtish Air, Iberia, and some others are affliated w/ AA. If I buy tix thru them would I get miles for booking etc?
Would flying into another city be less expensive?
Should we purchase the tickets separately?
Using Kayak? Yes/No? (mobile app sends me alerts on cheap fares but it's usually a 35 hrs flight plus layovers).
Is booking a week day cheaper than Sat to Sat?
Should we book sooner than later?

First Family vakay in Italy, Rome, Florence plus a week in Ischia

thanks
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA - EXP, US - CP, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Gold
Only a 1 day AAdvantage Award Hold?

When did the hold time for an AAdvantage Award change to only 1 day?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:11 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk. I can only guess the answer to to your question, ,as you've provided us with a minimum of information, but I'll try anyway. From the AA FAQ (Section 7. Redeeming Miles for Flights):

Q: How long may I hold an AAdvantage award reservation before ticketing?

A: If booked between 330 and 15 days prior to departure, an AAdvantage award reservation may be held for 5 days from the booking date. If booked 14 days prior to departure or less, an AAdvantage award reservation may be held for one day. If booked inside of 24 hours, an AAdvantage award reservation can be held until two hours prior to departure.

Note: Award processing charges apply to tickets issued less than 21 days before you begin travel.

Q: I thought I could hold a reservation for 5 days; why is the system indicating I have to ticket my reservation earlier?

A: Certain awards, such as special awards, may require ticketing by a specific date. If that date is earlier than the 5-day time limit, you are subject to the earlier date. For example, a special award may require ticketing within one day.

Does your ticket meet any of these conditions? Maybe it'll result in the next book, "Award Ticket Holds in Death" .

Originally Posted by EveDallas
When did the hold time for an AAdvantage Award change to only 1 day?

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 9, 2013 at 10:20 am Reason: add URL etc.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:18 am

Only you can decide whether saving money or saving time is what you prefer. airberlin (apt to be less expensive), Finnair (perhaps a longer trip via Helsinki), Iberia (on and off again strikes, so that can be a problem at times,) and BA are members of the same alliance as AA, and the latter two (both owned by IAG) have a Joint Business Agreement with AA as well, and you will earn AA miles if you wish.

The oneworld interactive route map provides routes and specific flight information; you will have to secure pricing elsewhere (such as ITA, etc.) And yes, Saturday is often more expensive to fly on than, say, midweek Wednesday or Thursday.

Originally Posted by Gder27
Sorting through posts (my head is going to explode) need help/direction in booking possibly 4-6 tix from any NYC area airports to Rome depart July 26, 27, 28, or 29th return Aug 10th -13th.

Plan to use our (new) AAdvantage Citicard but not enough miles for a free fare.

Does it make sense to go thru AA since it is the higher priced option although the shortest, non stop to Rome?
I've read that Brirtish Air, Iberia, and some others are affliated w/ AA. If I buy tix thru them would I get miles for booking etc?
Would flying into another city be less expensive?
Should we purchase the tickets separately?
Using Kayak? Yes/No? (mobile app sends me alerts on cheap fares but it's usually a 35 hrs flight plus layovers).
Is booking a week day cheaper than Sat to Sat?
Should we book sooner than later?

First Family vakay in Italy, Rome, Florence plus a week in Ischia

thanks
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, US - CP, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Gold
I get it!

Thanks JDiver. I was holding reservations for March 19 which is less than 15 day away. I had no idea it had to do with the number of days in advance of the trip. Learn something new every day.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk. I can only guess the answer to to your question, ,as you've provided us with a minimum of information, but I'll try anyway. From the AA FAQ (Section 7. Redeeming Miles for Flights):

Q: How long may I hold an AAdvantage award reservation before ticketing?

A: If booked between 330 and 15 days prior to departure, an AAdvantage award reservation may be held for 5 days from the booking date. If booked 14 days prior to departure or less, an AAdvantage award reservation may be held for one day. If booked inside of 24 hours, an AAdvantage award reservation can be held until two hours prior to departure.

Note: Award processing charges apply to tickets issued less than 21 days before you begin travel.

Q: I thought I could hold a reservation for 5 days; why is the system indicating I have to ticket my reservation earlier?

A: Certain awards, such as special awards, may require ticketing by a specific date. If that date is earlier than the 5-day time limit, you are subject to the earlier date. For example, a special award may require ticketing within one day.

Does your ticket meet any of these conditions? Maybe it'll result in the next book, "Award Ticket Holds in Death" .
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Hope to see you around - there is a ton of great information shared by some knowledgeable members (I am not one who claims to be so knowledgeable, but I benefit from the combined community knowledge here - a lot).

Originally Posted by EveDallas
Thanks JDiver. I was holding reservations for March 19 which is less than 15 day away. I had no idea it had to do with the number of days in advance of the trip. Learn something new every day.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
No status companion on different PNR? Extend seating benefit?

Hi all,

I screwed up recently and booked 2 of 3 of us on one PNR, but left the third out, and bought tickets on the same flights as us. I (EXPLAT) and companion #1 (GOLD) have status, but our third does not. Will the AAngels assign my third companion a preferred or MCE seat since we are on the same flight? I seem to remember doing this for my companion once last year, but it wasn't clear to me how sticky the whole thing was.

Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fanger
Hi all,

I screwed up recently and booked 2 of 3 of us on one PNR, but left the third out, and bought tickets on the same flights as us. I (EXPLAT) and companion #1 (GOLD) have status, but our third does not. Will the AAngels assign my third companion a preferred or MCE seat since we are on the same flight? I seem to remember doing this for my companion once last year, but it wasn't clear to me how sticky the whole thing was.

Thanks.
Give AA a call. They should be able to link PNRs and also assign the 3rd companion an preferred/MCE seat along with you and your companion. I have done this before.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: aadvantage
Trying to go to Australia/NZ Business Class with Miles

This is my first post to the forum.
My wife and I are trying to go DFW to Australia / NZ and go Business Class on the long haul. It's for our 15 year anniversary.

I am ExPlat and we have many miles to spend on this (I actually hope to buy my ticket so I can retain ExPlat status next year.)

I also have the Platinum Amex. The only way I can see to get over on Bus Class is to pay about $8k for a Bus. Class ticket for me and use my Amex Platinum 2for1. Is there a way to get over there on AAdvantage miles on Business Class?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:51 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

There is an extensive thread I'd recommend to you: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) (clickable link). There are some tips and tricks there. Good luck - it can be done, I've done it for the two of us and for friends in Australia coning this way.

QF has had ~half-price Business tickets - 60 or 9i0 days advance purchase, if I recall correctly, so check to see if / when those are available. It should be significantly easier to find one award seat than finding two.

Originally Posted by KRThode
This is my first post to the forum.
My wife and I are trying to go DFW to Australia / NZ and go Business Class on the long haul. It's for our 15 year anniversary.

I am ExPlat and we have many miles to spend on this (I actually hope to buy my ticket so I can retain ExPlat status next year.)

I also have the Platinum Amex. The only way I can see to get over on Bus Class is to pay about $8k for a Bus. Class ticket for me and use my Amex Platinum 2for1. Is there a way to get over there on AAdvantage miles on Business Class?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.