Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Can anyone help with answers to any of these questions please?
1. Correct, no seatback IFE.

2. It's available only if you purchase gogo in-flight wifi - it's streamed from on-board servers. Not sure if it works on iPad, maybe someone else can chime in.
EDIT: I neglected to mention that gogo isn't available over water. I can't remember if gogo is actually powered on for LAX-HNL flights...

3. You'll need a DC to USB adapter if it's the old config 757, while the 737 provides a US 110v AC outlet. Not sure about the new config 757, I believe those provide 110v AC as well.

4. No, it's good on domestic flights too, can be done up until T-24. This should be available if you look up your flight record via aa.com (see #5)

5. If you want to change your seats, calling BA should accomplish that, or you can ask for the AA record locator so you can DIY on aa.com

Enjoy HNL.

Last edited by jlin011; Sep 19, 2013 at 12:41 am Reason: edited for gogo clarification
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jlin011
2. It's available only if you purchase gogo in-flight wifi - it's streamed from on-board servers. Not sure if it works on iPad, maybe someone else can chime in.
There are some free Rick Steve's travel programs that don't require purchase of go-go, as well as access to the AA website. I've viewed the Rick Steve's programs with my Samsung tablet. Any other video you'll need to purchase. I don't think you have to separately buy a go-go session if you're just going to buy a movie to view.

The AA technology section has a page on the various aircraft power situation:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/entertai...=powerports#ip
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Oops, thanks for the correction Tom! I've only ever looked it while logged in to gogo.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:09 pm

award travel for three people

My wife turns 40 next year and we are planning to go to Europe to celebrate in August 2014 (me, wife and 12 yr old son.) I would like to book awards flights for the three of us, preferable First or Business class. I have 270k AAmiles, wife 70k and son 8k. (I can probably get 50-60k more fairly easily if needed.)

Pretty open to where we fly to in Europe (shooting for Italy/Austria but flexible.)
Can I book awards for all 3 or do I need to have wife do hers? There never seems to be Business/first milesavers available for 3 at same time..can I call for this?

Help is greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by gobadgers
My wife turns 40 next year and we are planning to go to Europe to celebrate in August 2014 (me, wife and 12 yr old son.) I would like to book awards flights for the three of us, preferable First or Business class. I have 270k AAmiles, wife 70k and son 8k. (I can probably get 50-60k more fairly easily if needed.)

Pretty open to where we fly to in Europe (shooting for Italy/Austria but flexible.)
Can I book awards for all 3 or do I need to have wife do hers? There never seems to be Business/first milesavers available for 3 at same time..can I call for this?

Help is greatly appreciated!
I'm going to assume you're traveling from the US as you did not list a location in your profile or your post, but keep in mind that this is an international board

A business sAAver award from North America to Europe costs 50K miles each way. You want 3, so unless you have 300K in one account, you have to split one off. All AA awards are one way, so you can book the outbound and return separately with no harm.

AA's website only allows you to book awards on some partners online, namely AA, BA, AB, AY, QF, RJ, AS, and HA. (For any unfamiliar airlines, there's the FT Glossary or Google ). To book IB, or other partners, you have to call (but you can search for availability online using other websites)

BA levies very significant fuel surcharges on its awards, so avoid them for the long haul.

In any case, it is very difficult to get 3 awards on the same flight and cabin. But it's good that you're flexible. I would recommend using a site like ExpertFlyer (which has a 5 day free trial), and look for ALL longhaul possibilities between the US and Europe. For example, check all flights between JFK/ORD/RDU/MIA/DFW/LAX-LHR, and check all flights with partners. Figure out the shorthauls after you lock down the longhaul.

If you want more tips, try this thread. Sometimes people there can be extraordinarily helpful.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Questions: Are you willing to be in different cabins on the flight, or on different flights? Are you willing to fly coach? Are you willing to burn an AAnytime award?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
With 270K you don't have enough in just your account to book 3 awards at 100K each. Not really an issue as these can be booked as one-ways at 50K each and you can take one of those from the 70K in your wife's account. If you can find availability now I would not wait to build up more miles in your account.

Yes, you can call AA, and provide both you and your wife's account information if they find the seats. That will give you access to some partners you would not see on the web site including Iberia. I think 3 business class tickets on any routing is going to be a challenge. Consider splitting up your party if that's the only way it works. Keep in mind AA will charge you a $25 telephone ticketing fee per ticket if you're not EXP, and should you have the need to cancel even more fees (if the miles come from two account those fees alone could be $350).

Are you sure about August in Italy? I thought that was the month the Italians fled because of the heat and humidity.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:36 pm

Questions: Are you willing to be in different cabins on the flight, or on different flights? Are you willing to fly coach? Are you willing to burn an AAnytime award?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the point on departure city Flying out of Chicago.

We can look at splitting up, as that seems to be the big problem, and we are willing to be in different cabins for sure (wife in in Business, kid in steerage?), separate flights would have to arrive pretty close to the same time. I'm willing to burn all of my miles to make this one trip, so whatever works.

The points you and Tom911 make related to all of the potential fees are helpful as well, and I'll try searching on Expertflyer.

As to Tom911s insight on Italy in August...it's the wife's Bday,and she wants Italy
Old Sep 19, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Questions: Are you willing to be in different cabins on the flight, or on different flights? Are you willing to fly coach? Are you willing to burn an AAnytime award?

Thanks for the point on departure city Flying out of Chicago.

We can look at splitting up, as that seems to be the big problem, and we are willing to be in different cabins for sure (wife in in Business, kid in steerage?), separate flights would have to arrive pretty close to the same time. I'm willing to burn all of my miles to make this one trip, so whatever works.

The points you and Tom911 make related to all of the potential fees are helpful as well, and I'll try searching on Expertflyer.

As to Tom911s insight on Italy in August...it's the wife's Bday,and she wants Italy
A quick search on BA finds at least 3 business class seats MIA-MAD and back on IB nearly every day next August. A better routing such as ORD-DUS-Italy may become available at some point, but with 3 passengers I'd put together a workable Itinerary ORD-MIA-MAD-Italy, call AA and price it. Be sure to search MIA-MAD and MAD-Destination separately or you may only find routings through LHR with BA Surcharges. Surcharges on IB should be around $40 per person each way.

Edit: I was unaware IB also flew ORD-MAD as well. There are also 3 business class seats on that flight some days, which would save a stop and make a free one-way possible as well.

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Sep 19, 2013 at 6:27 pm
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:11 pm

Record Locator But No Ticket Issued

So I recently purchased a ticket on AA.com. AA sent me an email with a record locator. The email contained a Record Locator and a line which read "Status: Purchased - Aug 15, 2013."

When I arrived at the airport, however, the ticketing kiosk directed me to see an agent, who sent me to the ticketing desk. The agent at the ticketing desk informed me that while I had a record locator, AA never actually issued me a ticket (or cancelled it). He told me that they usually contact the passenger to let them know there was something wrong, and he wasn't sure why I wasn't contacted in this case.

I ended up purchasing flights on another carrier at a substantial increase in cost to get me to my destination.

Does this violate AA's COC's or other regs/consumer protection laws? I took a look at AA's COCs but did not see anything helpful at first glance.

Thanks!

Last edited by dedkends; Sep 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Changing an award: IB - AA: a legal change? fees?

Hello:

Due to extremely limited award availability next summer, I booked Iberia LAX-MAD-LHR, then returning BCN-MAD-LAX. If award tix become available on either BA or AA for the outbound LAX-LHR nonstop, is that a legal change and are there any fees (other than relevant taxes) due? The tix are presently booked in business-- does the answer change if I were to fly LAX-LHR in either Y or F? I know AA doesn't charge for a more expensive award, but is that true when combined with a carrier change? What about a downgrade? Thank you.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven
Hello:

Due to extremely limited award availability next summer, I booked Iberia LAX-MAD-LHR, then returning BCN-MAD-LAX. If award tix become available on either BA or AA for the outbound LAX-LHR nonstop, is that a legal change and are there any fees (other than relevant taxes) due? The tix are presently booked in business-- does the answer change if I were to fly LAX-LHR in either Y or F? I know AA doesn't charge for a more expensive award, but is that true when combined with a carrier change? What about a downgrade? Thank you.
As long as you change from an all-oneworld routing to a different all-oneworld routing there is no change fee, provided that origin and destination do not change. However, the surcharge for flying a TATL flight on BA metal will be hundreds of dollars more than flying a TATL flight on IB metal. If you can get the LAX-LHR nonstop on AA metal, there is no surcharge at all, and you should actually get a refund.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
A quick search on BA finds at least 3 business class seats MIA-MAD and back on IB nearly every day next August. A better routing such as ORD-DUS-Italy may become available at some point, but with 3 passengers I'd put together a workable Itinerary ORD-MIA-MAD-Italy, call AA and price it. Be sure to search MIA-MAD and MAD-Destination separately or you may only find routings through LHR with BA Surcharges. Surcharges on IB should be around $40 per person each way.

Edit: I was unaware IB also flew ORD-MAD as well. There are also 3 business class seats on that flight some days, which would save a stop and make a free one-way possible as well.
OK, thanks to the help provided so far, I have booked my flight from Chicago to Rome for 3 business class milesaver! Now I'm trying to use Expertflyer and have found a couple of flights coming back from Rome on IB that have more than 3 "u" coded seats. Are these "u" coded seats on IB available for AA awards (business milesaver)? If so, do I just call AA and reference them?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVP
OK, thanks to the help provided so far, I have booked my flight from Chicago to Rome for 3 business class milesaver! Now I'm trying to use Expertflyer and have found a couple of flights coming back from Rome on IB that have more than 3 "u" coded seats. Are these "u" coded seats on IB available for AA awards (business milesaver)? If so, do I just call AA and reference them?
Yes, they should be available for saver business awards. You should be able to call and request the specific flights.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:58 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dedkends
So I recently purchased a ticket on AA.com. AA sent me an email with a record locator. The email contained a Record Locator and a line which read "Status: Purchased - Aug 15, 2013."

When I arrived at the airport, however, the ticketing kiosk directed me to see an agent, who sent me to the ticketing desk. The agent at the ticketing desk informed me that while I had a record locator, AA never actually issued me a ticket (or cancelled it). He told me that they usually contact the passenger to let them know there was something wrong, and he wasn't sure why I wasn't contacted in this case.

I ended up purchasing flights on another carrier at a substantial increase in cost to get me to my destination.

Does this violate AA's COC's or other regs/consumer protection laws? I took a look at AA's COCs but did not see anything helpful at first glance.

Thanks!
Why did you buy another ticket. AA would have honored the original fare.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:06 am

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
My departure has been changed to 1:15h later, but the new arrival time is 2:30h later. Does this count for a involuntary refund? My TA states that the schedule change is too minor to get one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.