Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Frequent British Airways poster, first time AA poster (so please be gentle ).

I'm travelling AA in First next April, flying to HNL from BOS via LAX (all 757), and back to IAD from LAX on a 737. I've tried to have a look but can't find definitive answers to a few questions I have:
1) Is it true that there isn't seat-back IFE in F in either of these aircraft? It seems a bit strange that it's offered on the TATL flights even in economy but for these flights, which are about 30 minutes shorter, it seems to be overhead screens if I've interpreted it correctly.

2) Assuming the above is true, I've also seen something about streaming in-flight wifi entertainment. If I bring an iPad for my dad and me does that mean we can download fresh entertainment on-board? If so, is there a cost attached?

3) Assuming 2 is true (!) what power plugs do I need to bring to charge the iPads at-seat? Is the USB plug enough? Do I need to bring my UK plug and a US adaptor?

4) I've seen somewhere about pre-ordering food. Is that only for international flights?

5) I've booked the flights via ba.com, and it has allocated 6E/F on the 757 and 6A/B on the 737. I don't seem to be able to change these seats, but should I be able to and, if so, is there any point?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but hopefully someone can help me out with answers - thanks in advance.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
You will check-in with the carrier operating hte flight departing CDG. In your case BA.
Originally Posted by HNL
The LFBUs are now made part of the On Line Check-in process. At 24 hours prior to the LHR departure go to AA.com and attempt to check in. If the LFBUs are available it wlll be offered.

The kiosks in CDG will not be able to pull up your LHR-USA fligh because you are at CDG
Thank you for the info.
So RM consider than at T-24 the situation will be final as far as LFBU ,?

In that case the kiosk upgrade will be extremely very rare as people will upgrade at OLCI.

Is it still possible that no upgrade at OLCI at T-24 but upgrade at the Kiosk at T-4 ?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:25 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Thank you for the info.
So RM consider than at T-24 the situation will be final as far as LFBU ,?

In that case the kiosk upgrade will be extremely very rare as people will upgrade at OLCI.

Is it still possible that no upgrade at OLCI at T-24 but upgrade at the Kiosk at T-4 ?
inventory is very dynamic. It can and will change between T-24 and T-4 and T0
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
IIRC you can't transfer SWU on AA ?
You can only apply them toward an existing reservation. That means that someone was able to find C 6 ?? Maybe on separate flights ?
The poster on Coupon Connection was using UA systemwides in this case and didn't indicate when and where they were used, just that they have been used.

Also if you don't receive compensation for your trade, you can't call AA and cancel the upgrade and have them back ?
In this case one trader has already flown. The second trader took a big gamble trading for future systemwides and may just be out the six. You can read that discussion HERE. It could just as easily been AA instead of UA. Interesting discussion as to whether you can litigate/send a demand letter when the terms state that bartering is not allowed.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
The poster on Coupon Connection was using UA systemwides in this case and didn't indicate when and where they were used, just that they have been used.

In this case one trader has already flown. The second trader took a big gamble trading for future systemwides and may just be out the six. You can read that discussion HERE. It could just as easily been AA instead of UA. Interesting discussion as to whether you can litigate/send a demand letter when the terms state that bartering is not allowed.
Thank you. Interesting & also "sad" discussion.

If they have not been already used believe it'd have been easier to have them back. If you gift them to a Friend and change your mind (because he's no longer your Friend) prior his flight can you legally take them back ?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you gift them to a Friend and change your mind (because he's no longer your Friend) prior his flight can you legally take them back ?
"Legally" is a pretty powerful word. Is it even legal to trade systemwides, or sponsor someone for consideration, when the AA terms don't allow bartering? It gets you into a pretty tangled area when AA forbids it yet they are consistently dealt off in public (places like Craigs List) and we have a forum here where they're regularly traded.

You can cancel the upgrade request up to departure as they're being sponsored from your account - ownership of those upgrades does not change. The only risk you have from the AA side, aside from having your account closed, would be that coach could be sold out in a downgrade situation and they might not be able to assign a seat.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:42 pm

Smile Best tip for 2 yearly flights from GRU to MIA

Hi guys,

I joined this community today and I am really lost in a sea of information about how fares, upgrades, tiers, etc. works in AA.

I am used to fly once a year from Sao Paulo (GRU) to Miami (MIA). I have almost always flew American Airlines and now I will start to do the same, but twice a year now. I always fly with my wife.

I was wondering what tips you could give to a complete newbie on flying programs in order to make me earn the most miles and/or be qualified to get upgrades in the future.

I work for a small US company as a contractor and they just applied to Business ExtrAA and I have applied for the Gold challenge this year. And yet I am lost.

My next flight will be early November (I am aiming at Nov 1st) and retuning early December (probably Dec 6th). What would be the best fare to book, taking the Gold challengeand future flights into consideration?

Thanks a lot!

-- Felipe.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just matched over to EXP from 1K on UA and wanted to confirm something. I'm used to the 24 hour cancellation rule being applied the "United way" whereby you have 24 hours after you purchase the ticket to then cancel it for a full refund. I just got burned canceling a flight on AA that was within 24 hours but because of the 24 hold policy I guess I am not entitled to a refund but instead entitled to the credit + $200 change fee. I guess you learn the hard-way but I wanted to confirm that in fact on AA the 24 hour policy is in play via the free hold only, and once you actually purchase the ticket you are not permitted to cancel without penalty (unless it's a refundable ticket)?

A quick search of the threads left me confident this is correct but after getting burned by it on my 2nd ever AA purchase I want to just make sure I have the policy correct so that I can plan accordingly going forward.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Just matched over to EXP from 1K on UA and wanted to confirm something. I'm used to the 24 hour cancellation rule being applied the "United way" whereby you have 24 hours after you purchase the ticket to then cancel it for a full refund. I just got burned canceling a flight on AA that was within 24 hours but because of the 24 hold policy I guess I am not entitled to a refund but instead entitled to the credit + $200 change fee. I guess you learn the hard-way but I wanted to confirm that in fact on AA the 24 hour policy is in play via the free hold only, and once you actually purchase the ticket you are not permitted to cancel without penalty (unless it's a refundable ticket)?

A quick search of the threads left me confident this is correct but after getting burned by it on my 2nd ever AA purchase I want to just make sure I have the policy correct so that I can plan accordingly going forward.

Thanks!
There's ambiguity (it seems) where there shouldn't be. You'll want to look here for recent discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2012-a.html

What should be happening is that AA are required to allow a full refund within 24 hours for itineraries that can't be held (partners, for example). If it can be held, they are not required to provide the refund, as in your case.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:45 pm

I'm running a tad short on SWUs but have confirmable upgrade space for a flight in the future. Is it possible to use a miles upgrade and swap-in a SWU prior to departure while keeping the upgrade confirmed?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:00 pm

Extended Layovers?

found my answer - thanks!

Last edited by hennaLisa; Sep 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
If travel dates are real flexible but the origination and destination cities are not what is the best way to search for cheapest flights using $$ or miles?

AA sends spams out for cheap airfares, but does not allow you to leave the dates blank when searching for fares and when I type in random dates the price is usually more then double the advertised fare in the spam e-mail.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by okrogius
I'm running a tad short on SWUs but have confirmable upgrade space for a flight in the future. Is it possible to use a miles upgrade and swap-in a SWU prior to departure while keeping the upgrade confirmed?
No. You would have to cancel the mileage upgrade and then apply the SWU. There is no guarantee that when award inventory is cancelled, that it automatically returns to the same fare bucket. Also, since many mileage upgrades require a copy, you'll forfeit the copay.

Last edited by bdemaria; Sep 17, 2013 at 6:36 am
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
If travel dates are real flexible but the origination and destination cities are not what is the best way to search for cheapest flights using $$ or miles?

AA sends spams out for cheap airfares, but does not allow you to leave the dates blank when searching for fares and when I type in random dates the price is usually more then double the advertised fare in the spam e-mail.
Try ITA Matrix, which has a flexible calendar search by month. Put in 'AA+' in the advanced routing codes to search for AA flights only.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How fast do the 4 stickers show up for Gold/Plat members who fly 10K miles?

I have a long flight on a Saturday that I'd like to upgrade, but I'll hit a 10K milestone earlier in the day (MR-like routing). Would it be possible to call AA or go into an AC and ask them to deposit the 4 stickers into my account after I've completed the flight that gets me above the 10K mark / before the flight I'd like to upgrade?

I know you keep stickers forever but I'll be EXP soon after and don't need them since I don't travel with companions often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.