FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Just matched over to EXP from 1K on UA and wanted to confirm something. I'm used to the 24 hour cancellation rule being applied the "United way" whereby you have 24 hours after you purchase the ticket to then cancel it for a full refund. I just got burned canceling a flight on AA that was within 24 hours but because of the 24 hold policy I guess I am not entitled to a refund but instead entitled to the credit + $200 change fee. I guess you learn the hard-way but I wanted to confirm that in fact on AA the 24 hour policy is in play via the free hold only, and once you actually purchase the ticket you are not permitted to cancel without penalty (unless it's a refundable ticket)?

A quick search of the threads left me confident this is correct but after getting burned by it on my 2nd ever AA purchase I want to just make sure I have the policy correct so that I can plan accordingly going forward.

Thanks!
There's ambiguity (it seems) where there shouldn't be. You'll want to look here for recent discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2012-a.html

What should be happening is that AA are required to allow a full refund within 24 hours for itineraries that can't be held (partners, for example). If it can be held, they are not required to provide the refund, as in your case.

Cheers.