Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by yannix
What type of changes were you thinking about?
A date only change will not incur a fee as long the new flight date is more than 21 days than the day you made the change.
Just date change. If @ time of change, the flight date of MCO-JFK is within 21 days, but JFK-HKG is 10 months away, and I only need to change JFK-HKG leg's date, will there be a fee?

Thanks a bunch.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat

Wondering do complimentary upgrades work from c to f on 3 cabin domestic for Exp. I booked a c ticket to Central America and the return is via JFK to Sfo.

Ty in advance
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by adamak
Just date change. If @ time of change, the flight date of MCO-JFK is within 21 days, but JFK-HKG is 10 months away, and I only need to change JFK-HKG leg's date, will there be a fee?

Thanks a bunch.
No fee. You can change the date of individual segments, or change the routing, as long as the type of award (all AA, AA+oneworld, etc) remains the same there will be no fee.

The close in ticketing fee is counted 21 days from the original ticketing date.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Wondering do complimentary upgrades work from c to f on 3 cabin domestic for Exp. I booked a c ticket to Central America and the return is via JFK to Sfo.

Ty in advance
EXP complimentary upgrades only work Y>J.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
[QUOTE=Apieinthesky;21401348]
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkaradi

Ty in advance

EXP complimentary upgrades only work Y>J.[/QUOTE

Bummer
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
Is it OK to book a second round trip before the return portion of the first round trip? For example, the first round trip is LAX-JFK-LAX, the second round trip is JFK-ROC-JFK and it happens before JFK-LAX. Just want to be sure if it is against any airline rules. Thanks for any guidance.

WJ
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by jwudbwei
Is it OK to book a second round trip before the return portion of the first round trip? For example, the first round trip is LAX-JFK-LAX, the second round trip is JFK-ROC-JFK and it happens before JFK-LAX. Just want to be sure if it is against any airline rules. Thanks for any guidance.

WJ
Yes. What you're referring to is "nested tickets", where one round trip is "nested" within another.

There is no problem with doing this, as long as you are not doing this to circumvent fare rules (like minimum stay rules, etc). People need to do this all the time (for example, I spend a good amount of time in both STL and NYC, and I might have a 1 month trip scheduled STL-NYC, but then need to fly somewhere from NYC when I'm there).

See this thread for more info.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...k-tickets.html
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jwudbwei

WJ
Yes, absolutely allowed. Even if there was a minimum stay requirement on the fare, the restriction is returning to your point of origin. So if your first ticket required an over Saturday stay, your second ticket (on the same airline, hint hint, hint) should not be to return to your home airport on Friday.

It's also a good way to stack promotions, if available. I did a trip to FL via JFK when they had a promo for CA - NY and NY - FL. Two round trip tickets, one inside the other. Met all the rules and got double bonus when none would have been earned going CA - FL!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:23 pm

Airberlin no longer on AAdvantage award booking

We are flying on Airberlin next month to Italy via Dusseldorf and booked our business class tickets on AA.com using 100k miles each. We want to fly next year to France via Dusseldorf business class using AA miles. Airberlin no long appears on AA.com using miles, only BA and AA. Does anyone know what's happened to Airberlin on AA.com?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bdymott
We are flying on Airberlin next month to Italy via Dusseldorf and booked our business class tickets on AA.com using 100k miles each. We want to fly next year to France via Dusseldorf business class using AA miles. Airberlin no long appears on AA.com using miles, only BA and AA. Does anyone know what's happened to Airberlin on AA.com?
Has AB loaded its schedules yet for the time when you want to travel? Does AB serve the French airport you want to fly to?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 5:47 pm

Yes, AB does fly to TLS. They have disappeared from AA.com all of next year as far as I can see.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bdymott
Yes, AB does fly to TLS. They have disappeared from AA.com all of next year as far as I can see.
How did you determine that AB flies to TLS? I just checked the Wikipedia entries for both TLS and DUS; neither one shows that AB flies to TLS (at least, not on its own metal).
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:49 am

Oops, you're right. I was thinking if we could get to DUS business class on AB, then we could purchase an economy ticket to TLS which would be much less than BA through LHR.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:20 pm

I found this forum very valuable but despite some search cannot find answers to some of my questions so any help would be appreciated:

Gold/Platinum Status Challenge:
- Does one need to have an existing elite status with another airline to be eligible for the status challenge? If the answer is yes than could the challenge be only for the same level - e.g. if I only have United Silver (lowest tier) can I get a Platinum Challenge and vice versa if I have United Gold (second tier) am I stuck with Platinum Challenge or can I also go for Gold?
- My understanding is tha the 'watershed' determining whether 'new' status obtained through a challenge expires next year or the year after is July 1 (by the way is it correct?). Now the question what would happen if the challenge runs say 4/16 to 7/15? Will it qualify for the 2nd part of the year because that's when it ends? Or still the first part of the year as that's where it began?

Business ExtrAA:
- one of the award is Gold status - What is the rule of thumb regarding the expiration date (next Feb/the Feb year after/anything else)? 7/1 as is the case with Status Challenge or anything else?

Same-day flight changes on award tickets:
- aa.com quote "If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.". Now the question is that it's not clear whether this charge is waived for the AAdvantage Elites?
- presumable the rules mentiones on the aa.com site apply only to the AAdvantage aware tickets. So the question is what's the situation with the award tickets booked with Avios (on AA flights with not BA codeshare code)? Are sameday changes possible? If no award space available? Fees?

I would appreciate any advice regarding the above questions (all or some).
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LongviewTX
I found this forum very valuable but despite some search cannot find answers to some of my questions so any help would be appreciated:
OK, here goes (for at least some of them

Gold/Platinum Status Challenge:
- Does one need to have an existing elite status with another airline to be eligible for the status challenge? If the answer is yes than could the challenge be only for the same level - e.g. if I only have United Silver (lowest tier) can I get a Platinum Challenge and vice versa if I have United Gold (second tier) am I stuck with Platinum Challenge or can I also go for Gold?
No, GLD/PLT challenges are not dependent upon existing status w/another carrier

- My understanding is tha the 'watershed' determining whether 'new' status obtained through a challenge expires next year or the year after is July 1 (by the way is it correct?).
I believe its June 16: From the AA FT Wiki:
Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can be started on the 1st and 16th of the month and you can request a specific start date (within the next few months).
Now the question what would happen if the challenge runs say 4/16 to 7/15? Will it qualify for the 2nd part of the year because that's when it ends? Or still the first part of the year as that's where it began?
According the AA FT wiki, status is based on when you start, rather than finish, the challenge.

Same-day flight changes on award tickets:
- aa.com quote "If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.". Now the question is that it's not clear whether this charge is waived for the AAdvantage Elites?
There's a difference between a same day flight change, and stand by. Elites can standby w/o a fee, but to confirm the change is 75.00, as noted on aa.com

- presumable the rules mentiones on the aa.com site apply only to the AAdvantage aware tickets. So the question is what's the situation with the award tickets booked with Avios (on AA flights with not BA codeshare code)? Are sameday changes possible? If no award space available? Fees?
Correct these are for AA domestic flights only. You'll have to check on the BA forum, etc.. for issues re: use of Avios points

Last edited by bdemaria; Sep 8, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.