Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by richarddd
I have a nonrefundable ticket I may not be able to use. aa.com includes "Subject to certain restrictions and charges defined in the rules of the fare, the value of a wholly unused nonrefundable ticket may be used toward the purchase of a new ticket."

Would I have to immediately purchase a new ticket or can I get a voucher or does it depend?
Let's say you paid 500.00 for the non-refundable ticket and have to cancel the trip; you end up w/a "credit" for the difference between what you paid and a ticket change fee - which varies depending on the fare rules. When you want to use the credit, you'll have to call AA and ask them to apply it toward a new ticket, and I seem to recall you have to use the credit w/in a year. You don't have to rebook the ticket at the time of cancellation
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Let's say you paid 500.00 for the non-refundable ticket and have to cancel the trip; you end up w/a "credit" for the difference between what you paid and a ticket change fee - which varies depending on the fare rules. When you want to use the credit, you'll have to call AA and ask them to apply it toward a new ticket, and I seem to recall you have to use the credit w/in a year. You don't have to rebook the ticket at the time of cancellation
Great. A credit is preferable. It's usable only to purchase AA air travel?

"Travel on such reissued tickets (or subsequently reissued tickets) must commence no later than one year from the date of issue of the original ticket."

In retrospect, planning a trip to a national park at the start of the US fiscal year may not have been the best move.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
Great. A credit is preferable. It's usable only to purchase AA air travel?

The credit definitely can be used only for air travel, I honestly don't know if it can be used for bookings with partner airlines or not, but I suspect the answer is no.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:01 pm

If I am aa gold, how many people can I book ticket for and have sit in main cabin extra for free with me?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by flatseatlover
If I am aa gold, how many people can I book ticket for and have sit in main cabin extra for free with me?
Up to 8 companions. Note that is only true until Dec. 31 2013. The future MCE privileges of Gold members seems uncertain for 2014. Basic info in the overall benefits guide for Gold members:

http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Up to 8 companions. Note that is only true until Dec. 31 2013. The future MCE privileges of Gold members seems uncertain for 2014. Basic info in the overall benefits guide for Gold members:

http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf
it is still amazing that this rule allows for you to bring EIGHT companions, considering the small and possibly smaller number of MCE seats. note that MCE eligibility for your companions requires them to be on the same PNR. you absolutely can call AA to have them link two separate PNRs (for the same itinerary)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HNL
Are you looking at the Miles toward Upgrades? Every 10,000 miles flown earns 4 stickers. that value is calculated as March 1 to February 28/29. If you had < 10,000 miles when that counter is re-set on March 1, you can call AAdvantage Customer Service and request partial credit, and they will usually give you 1 to 3 stickers depending how many miles there were.

The YTD Qualifying Miles, Points, and Segments should show all activity for the calendar year. If those values are off then you need to contact AAdvantage Customer Service.
Thanks for your help!

Finally got around to doing this.

Called the GLD Desk (I know, a far cry from EXP where most of you seem to be. But hey! I hit PLT this month!) gave the nice girl my info. Took about 5 minutes or so. The next morning the EQP/EQM/EQS had posted to my account.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:23 pm

If I'm gold and book a ticket with cash and my husband books with his avios on same flight, how can we get him a mce seat
Old Sep 27, 2013, 10:44 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatseatlover
If I'm gold and book a ticket with cash and my husband books with his avios on same flight, how can we get him a mce seat
Yes - you will need to call AA and tell them he is your companion and they will link the reservations and allow you both to select preferred main cabin seats, including Main Cabin Extra (through 2103)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:08 pm

Hi and thanks in advance for your patience, first time poster. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about the points/miles programs from different sites and am feeling, quite frankly, OVERWHELMED! Wow!

Here's my situation: After a couple years of saving I've accumulated over the 80k mark for my aa.com account (and apparently it is a milestone because just after I hit the mark, they sent me a new upgraded Advntg World Elite mC w/ Chip..or is everyone getting one?)
Anyway, I'm looking to fly from Panama City Beach, FL to Europe (I've narrowed it down to Paris and Brussels or Barcelona and I'd like to fly into one, train between the two or possibly fly, and fly back to Panama City Beach, FL.
I am also an Amex Gold and Amex Biz Platinum holder and have 35k gold amex and 150k biz amex points.
Questions are:
1) How do I book the flight, I know it won't be possible with the online site and I'll have to go through the call in but where are the sites to find out what Oneworld partners (?) have flights available?
Is there a way to buy the tickets using the AA miles and possibly upgrade w/ the Amex miles and/or a small amt of cash? I'd love to upgrade us both but to at a minimum upgrade husband as he's had back surgery and has rods/pins in his back so the long flight is hard enough on him. I'm just happy to go and don't mind suffering coach.

2)Is there a site to find really good hotels at a great deal or w/points/miles combo or discount codes? I don't need the Ritz but a step above cheap and step below 5* with some amenities would be great, we can be flexible on the cities/dates and number of nights on each . Estimated 12-14 nights on or around Nov 15-30th.
I'd rather not use up all the Amex points and wouldn't mind just paying for rooms if I can find a great room at a bargain....does one exist?
I know some of the credit card programs have some good deals but, again, feeling overwhelmed, we've got a card through most of the major banks (Chase, Amex, BA, etc) but don't have any of the hotel rewards cards.
I'm open to suggestions and ideas.
thanks for your help
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Am I correct that AA codeshares always earn according to the AA chart, not the partner chart? For instance, AA codeshare on CX metal on deep discount economy would earn 100% EQM, not 0%?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Peppep
Am I correct that AA codeshares always earn according to the AA chart, not the partner chart? For instance, AA codeshare on CX metal on deep discount economy would earn 100% EQM, not 0%?
You are correct
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by PENNYGIRLFL
Hi and thanks in advance for your patience, first time poster. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about the points/miles programs from different sites and am feeling, quite frankly, OVERWHELMED! Wow!

Here's my situation: After a couple years of saving I've accumulated over the 80k mark for my aa.com account (and apparently it is a milestone because just after I hit the mark, they sent me a new upgraded Advntg World Elite mC w/ Chip..or is everyone getting one?)
Anyway, I'm looking to fly from Panama City Beach, FL to Europe (I've narrowed it down to Paris and Brussels or Barcelona and I'd like to fly into one, train between the two or possibly fly, and fly back to Panama City Beach, FL.
I am also an Amex Gold and Amex Biz Platinum holder and have 35k gold amex and 150k biz amex points.
Questions are:
1) How do I book the flight, I know it won't be possible with the online site and I'll have to go through the call in but where are the sites to find out what Oneworld partners (?) have flights available?
Is there a way to buy the tickets using the AA miles and possibly upgrade w/ the Amex miles and/or a small amt of cash? I'd love to upgrade us both but to at a minimum upgrade husband as he's had back surgery and has rods/pins in his back so the long flight is hard enough on him. I'm just happy to go and don't mind suffering coach.

2)Is there a site to find really good hotels at a great deal or w/points/miles combo or discount codes? I don't need the Ritz but a step above cheap and step below 5* with some amenities would be great, we can be flexible on the cities/dates and number of nights on each . Estimated 12-14 nights on or around Nov 15-30th.
I'd rather not use up all the Amex points and wouldn't mind just paying for rooms if I can find a great room at a bargain....does one exist?
I know some of the credit card programs have some good deals but, again, feeling overwhelmed, we've got a card through most of the major banks (Chase, Amex, BA, etc) but don't have any of the hotel rewards cards.
I'm open to suggestions and ideas.
thanks for your help
As far as I can tell, neither AA nor any of its partners currently serves ECP, so you'll either have to purchase a separate ticket with cash or miles to another airport, or take ground transportation to an airport served by AA and/or its partners.

The aa.com website will show award availability between the U.S. and Europe on AA, AB, AY, and BA. You can call AA to check on award availability on IB.

Award flights on BA and IB are subject to surcharges: IB's are modest; BA's will be hefty for TATL flights, and higher for Business Class than for Coach.

Coach awards booked with AA miles cannot be upgraded with cash or Amex points. However, some carriers may offer you an upgrade for cash at the airport on day of travel.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA flies out of Tallahassee and Ft. Walton Beach, but not Panama City.

Depending on the routing, you can book the ticket online, although AA.com won't show full partner availability.

No. The only option would be a paid counter upgrade on the day of departure - and those are subject to availability.

I would check the hotel forums.

Also, if you are planning on traveling this November, then it may be very difficult to find 2 available award seats.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I booked a revenue segment for my partner. I will not be on the same flight. We're both Citi AA card holders but this is a surprise for him so I booked it under my AA account and paid with my AA card. Would he be eligible for his card benefits such as free checked bag and priority boarding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.