Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:45 am
pH

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks FlyMe and brp!

Since my flight was purchased on AA.com and has the AA flight number, I'll assume all will be well in ANC for Pre-check.

Much appreciated!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by brp
I stand corrected (glad I downgraded to "pretty sure" ). Thanks. Was this an AA codeshare number on the AS metal, or AS number that you happened to purchase on AA.com? We routinely purchase AS flights, but usually the AS number (and usually through AS.com, but worth checking).

Cheers.
This was AS metal AA number purchased on AA.com. I saw the AS number available when I was booking, but I didn't know what the advantage of using the AS number was if I wanted AA EQM so I just chose the AA number; I'm going to be sitting in Y anyway.

I wonder now if purchasing the AS number would have any TSA pre-check info pass through.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:17 pm

I'm using ITA Matrix to check scheduling and prices, but am running into an issue where ITA is showing me a price with availability that's 35% cheaper than AA.com will let me book. What's up with that?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
This was AS metal AA number purchased on AA.com. I saw the AS number available when I was booking, but I didn't know what the advantage of using the AS number was if I wanted AA EQM so I just chose the AA number; I'm going to be sitting in Y anyway.

I wonder now if purchasing the AS number would have any TSA pre-check info pass through.
Am I missing something in the logic here? If the ticket is purchased on AA.com and the BP is issued on AA.com, why shouldn't Pre-Check be bestowed if enrolled? As we know there is no guarantee Pre-Check will be available at whichever terminal you need to use. And if you believe TSAs claim of randomness, there's no guarantee you will get the "LLL" either.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Am I missing something in the logic here? If the ticket is purchased on AA.com and the BP is issued on AA.com, why shouldn't Pre-Check be bestowed if enrolled? As we know there is no guarantee Pre-Check will be available at whichever terminal you need to use. And if you believe TSAs claim of randomness, there's no guarantee you will get the "LLL" either.
No. You're not missing any logic. The reason I wonder if it works with AS flight numbers (I'm not saying it doesn't work), is that I don't have faith in the system having any logic. If someone tells me it works, then I'll believe it works, but for now, that's unknown to me.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Pinned
I'm using ITA Matrix to check scheduling and prices, but am running into an issue where ITA is showing me a price with availability that's 35% cheaper than AA.com will let me book. What's up with that?
Have you tried selecting flights by schedule, rather than price, on the AA website? I've had some success with that in the past in getting a different price.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Questions about Mileage + CoPay Upgrades

Hello all. I have searched and studied but can't find a couple of answers regarding Mileage + CoPay upgrades.

The family, 3 of us, are travelling from SEA to SJU at spring break and I had enough miles to do a Miles and CoPay one way. I called reservations, they told me it was available and I was then put on hold while the agent spoke to the revenue department. After a good 10 minutes the agent took my CC information and advised that all was good.

My reservations show the flight from SEA to DFW on an S80 in F with confirmed seats. The flight from DFW to SJU on a 757 shows Business (C) with confirmed seats.

My questions:

1. Is my upgrade complete and is it considered confirmed or can it be taken away?

2. This was done over two weeks ago. The points haven't come out of my account and my CC has not been charged.

2a. When are the points supposed to come out of my account?

2b. When am I supposed to be charged.

Thanks for any answers.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ken98230
1. Is my upgrade complete and is it considered confirmed or can it be taken away?
It should be. On *rare* occasions, an upgrade can be pulled (e.g., mechanical problem results in a change of equipment and rather than there being 20 F seats, the replacement plane only has 18 seats).

2. This was done over two weeks ago. The points haven't come out of my account and my CC has not been charged.

Two weeks is a long time. Have you rec'd an actual email the reads "E-Ticket confirmation" When you logon to aa.com, does your reservation say "TICKETED" near the record locator? Both of those confirm its been ticketed, and thus its strange that neither the miles (not points, those are a very different thing on AA), or the $$ have been charged. If you haven't rec'd that email, and the reservation says something like "PENDING" or "ON REQUEST" then there's definitely a problem.

Either way: I'd call AA and ask, better to clear it up now rather than waiting until next Spring and arriving at the airport and encountering a problem.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:15 am

Questions about Mileage + CoPay Upgrades

Hello all. I have searched and studied but can't find a couple of answers regarding Mileage + CoPay upgrades.

The family, 3 of us, are travelling from SEA to SJU at spring break and I had enough miles to do a Miles and CoPay one way. I called reservations, they told me it was available and I was then put on hold while the agent spoke to the revenue department. After a good 10 minutes the agent took my CC information and advised that all was good.

My reservations show the flight from SEA to DFW on an S80 in F with confirmed seats. The flight from DFW to SJU on a 757 shows Business (C) with confirmed seats.

My questions:

Thanks for any answers.
I agree that two weeks is a long time. Usually when doing miles+copay, it takes a couple days to be charged.

My own question and in addition to what bdemaria said, did you do it all in one shot (called in to upgrade a reservation on hold and paid for it right there), or did you pay for the coach ticket, then call in later to upgrade? In the latter case, you should've received two E-ticket confirmations because a miles+copay upgrade requires a ticket reissue. Receiving a ticket confirmation with the ticket number is basically the best "guarantee" that you have.

Your reservation on AA.com should say Ticketed if everything is ok. If stuck in Pending or On Request, do call AA to get it cleared up.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:08 am

Flying tomorrow and I don't have assigned seats on any of my flights because they are all full with only preferred/MCE seats available. Do I just skip OLCI and check in at the airport when I get my tickets? Will they assign me seats at the check in kiosk or at the gate? I've never had unassigned seats before.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:31 am

Thanks for your advice bdemaria and Apienthesky.

I called and processing had not been completed for some reason. The agent advised me that it was good that I called in because eventually the upgrade would have cancelled out because the ticket was not re-issued.

Ken.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:32 am

Another newb question...if I am MarcoPolo Gold (Oneworld Sapphire), how do I get benefits for being Sapphire on American?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:37 am

Another newb question...if I am MarcoPolo Gold (Oneworld Sapphire), how do I get benefits for being Sapphire on American?
If your Marco Polo number is in your AA PNR, you will get your OWS benefits.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
If your Marco Polo number is in your AA PNR, you will get your OWS benefits.
Thanks...but what is a PNR?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*
Middle seat seems to be blocked for PLAT - can I take the FAA approved car seat on ?

So I am flying with the baby today on AA. 3.5 hour flight. I believe the middle seat has been blocked automatically [as I changed seats twice and the middle seat got blocked both times].

So, if the middle seat is still blocked when it comes time for boarding and if there are still empty seats on the plane, is it ok if I bring the FAA approved car seat on and place the baby in it ?

Should I ask the attendant on boarding ? Should I ask the gate agent ?

I am by no means assuming it is a done deal and of course would be very grateful if this is possible [ done it on southwest before but naturally that is different ].

Curious if anyone here has done this before on AA.

thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.