Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:45 pm

AA SFO Phone Numbers

Hello. Please send me a private message if you have a direct number to AA at SFO (i.e. baggage).

I'm standing by for a flight tonight that isn't displaying information online. I hope someone at the terminal can advise me if it's worth the trek to the airport. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:12 pm

Using AA miles, what is hold time for IB flights

I held JFK-MAD-DBV this morning using AA miles on Iberia and was told verbally, and it appears in my booking, that I have until October 15 (five days) to ticket.

A friend did the identical hold, same method, and she was told verbally Iberia's rule was 24 hour hold and she has to ticket by tomorrow morning. Her booking originally reflected October 15 like mine, but when she called to question the discrepancy between her booking & mine, CSR verbally confirmed the 24 hour hold and changed her booking on line to match.

So identical bookings have different hold periods on our respective accounts. I really wanted to wait to ticket mine but will probably chicken out and do it as I have enough miles & there's really no substantive reason not to and I don't want to be a test case.

However, she is waiting for Starwood points to transfer & probably won't make her 24 hour deadline because of this.

Does anyone have any idea which one of us is being told the truth about the hold period? Neither of us has any status and cannot think of any reason why we'd be treated differently. Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
About to sign up for AAdvantage to query possible redemptions. Before I do, I thought I would ask if there is a signup promo code that I can use?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
About to sign up for AAdvantage to query possible redemptions. Before I do, I thought I would ask if there is a signup promo code that I can use?
It is not necessary to enroll in the AAdvantage program to check award-seat availability at aa.com.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It is not necessary to enroll in the AAdvantage program to check award-seat availability at aa.com.
Thanks for the quick reply.. I'm trying to go through the website and made a few mock bookings, but I don't see where I access the AAdvantage award seat availability. I've been surfing at least 20 minutes.

I'm seriously thinking about collecting Avios to book AAdvantage rewards.. Or should I collect AAdvantage points? Would that be better than collecting Avios? Which program would you guys suggest I collect in?

I live in Calgary, so its quite restricted the amount of cc cards available for points in Canada? I'm not even aware of a cc up here that collects AA points or UA points. Are there any ccs that collect for AA or UA?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the quick reply.. I'm trying to go through the website and made a few mock bookings, but I don't see where I access the AAdvantage award seat availability. I've been surfing at least 20 minutes.

I'm seriously thinking about collecting Avios to book AAdvantage rewards.. Or should I collect AAdvantage points? Would that be better than collecting Avios? Which program would you guys suggest I collect in?

I live in Calgary, so its quite restricted the amount of cc cards available for points in Canada? I'm not even aware of a cc up here that collects AA points or UA points. Are there any ccs that collect for AA or UA?
On the aa.com homepage, there is a simple booking engine which lets you search for one-ways or roundtrips. If you want to use that search engine to search for award seats, just check the "use (or redeem) AAdvantage miles" box before transmitting your search parameters.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:31 pm
Suspended

On the aa.com homepage, there is a simple booking engine which lets you search for one-ways or roundtrips. If you want to use that search engine to search for award seats, just check the "use (or redeem) AAdvantage miles" box before transmitting your search parameters.
Got it..

I loaded YYC-LIH and I see availability for 45K miles. Am I to assume that this is the required mileage for each person return?

How can I query Alaska Airline availability?

Again, is Avios better to redeem on AA, or AAdvantage better to redeem?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it..

I loaded YYC-LIH and I see availability for 45K miles. Am I to assume that this is the required mileage for each person return?

How can I query Alaska Airline availability?

Again, is Avios better to redeem on AA, or AAdvantage better to redeem?
The aa.com booking engine lists mileage required per person for a one-way award. If the only Coach award level shown is 45K, then that is the "AAnytime" award level, and "MileSAAver" awards are not available on that route on your particular date.

If you ticked the "include partners" box before transmitting your search parameters, then AS flights -- if available -- would have shown up as a "MileSAAver" award.

The difficulty you are facing is that YYC has very little service on AA and AS. AA only flies YYC-DFW; AS only flies YYC-SEA on its commuter affiliate (Horizon Air) which uses smaller planes.

Avios can only be redeemed on AS "Super Saver" seats, or on AA "MileSAAver" seats. So if aa.com is not showing any SAAver seats on either AA or AS, then Avios would be of no use to you.

If Saver/SAAver seats were available, BA would charge 17,000 Avios for YYC-SEA-Hawaii; BA would charge a lot more for YYC-DFW-Hawaii because both flights are longer.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:18 pm
Suspended

The aa.com booking engine lists mileage required per person for a one-way award. If the only Coach award level shown is 45K, then that is the "AAnytime" award level, and "MileSAAver" awards are not available on that route on your particular date.

If you ticked the "include partners" box before transmitting your search parameters, then AS flights -- if available -- would have shown up as a "MileSAAver" award.

The difficulty you are facing is that YYC has very little service on AA and AS. AA only flies YYC-DFW; AS only flies YYC-SEA on its commuter affiliate (Horizon Air) which uses smaller planes.

Avios can only be redeemed on AS "Super Saver" seats, or on AA "MileSAAver" seats. So if aa.com is not showing any SAAver seats on either AA or AS, then Avios would be of no use to you.

If Saver/SAAver seats were available, BA would charge 17,000 Avios for YYC-SEA-Hawaii; BA would charge a lot more for YYC-DFW-Hawaii because both flights are longer.
I don't see availability of any destinations in Hawaii for the months of July departure and August arrival to YYC. Dissapointing that the mileage is AAnytime, and not Saavers. I just don't see any availability for Hawaii, which is why I was considering Avios and redeeming for AS flights. You're right, the flights are quite limited and I just don't see that much availability, even for MCO in the July/August months for Saavers.

Seems if I leave in the next week or so, I do see Saavers. Perhaps the availability increases as the dates of departure arrives? I suspect availability on Aeroplan is more than AA is currently.. and the # of points required seems more on AA on its face.

I'll try some more queries on aa.com just to be sure, but there aren't too many alternative FF programs in Canada. I thought I could get Avios to work, but looks like the incentives are more and more restrictive as my research of the Avios program continue.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Just got an EXP status match. Not enjoying the AA website, .bomb was better even. How do I see the mileage for the trip, preferably broken out by segment? This is rather important and I see no place to view the mileage flown for each leg. Did they remove this because of the confusion of fare codes and mileage actually earned?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by GITU
Did they remove this because of the confusion of fare codes and mileage actually earned?
Mileage earned doesn't depend on fare codes. There shouldn't be any confusion.
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got an EXP status match. Not enjoying the AA website, .bomb was better even. How do I see the mileage for the trip, preferably broken out by segment? This is rather important and I see no place to view the mileage flown for each leg. Did they remove this because of the confusion of fare codes and mileage actually earned?
On the flight search results screen there is a + icon located tot eh right of the flight number. Clicking that will expand the section to reveal more information about the flight - including the miles of the flight.
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
They have not removed it. If they are AA flights, you can find the information by expanding the little '+' sign next to the flights, as always. If they are not AA metal flights, then they never were there, and using an external tool like Great Circle Mapper will get you very close.

Did UA show mileage for all segments regardless of carrier?

Cheers.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:49 pm

Just got an EXP status match. Not enjoying the AA website, .bomb was better even. How do I see the mileage for the trip, preferably broken out by segment? This is rather important and I see no place to view the mileage flown for each leg.
On your booking screen, when selecting your flights, click the (+) next to the flight number to "View Flight Details" (The old website actually had these words on the link). It tells you the booking code, flight miles, and aircraft type here.

Did they remove this because of the confusion of fare codes and mileage actually earned?
I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Edit: Wow, you people are fast. Like brp said, the flight details aren't there for non-AA metal flights, but GCM is a great tool for calculating flight distances.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
AA Booking Questions

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of question about a booking I made on aa.com, hope you don't mind helping me.

1) I booked and input my CX Frequent flyer number, because right now I don't have the status with AA and wanted to reserve seats. In a couple of months I will have AA status, how/can I change my frequent flyer from CX to AA?

2) The booking is a shared ticket with BA. How can I get the seat assignment for the BA flight?

Thank you so much for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.