Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Question Can I really fly with my support animal?

Greetings Everyone!

Although in the past I traveled on business quite often, it has been a couple of years! Lots of reasons. But I'll try to keep it short! LOL!

I have a couple of questions about flying with a support animal. I spoke with AA reservations today and was told that all that is required is a letter from my Doctor stating that I require a support animal due to my diagnosis. I have spoken with my Doctor and she can write whatever type of letter is required. I have spent the past year going to training with my support dog. We have traveled some locally via car and stayed over night in hotels, but she has never flown!

1) Has anyone traveled with a support animal before?
2) Really? All I need is a letter from my Doctor? (For travel within the U.S.)
3) The reservation agent said they would "accommodate" her. What sort of "accommodations" are they talking about?

She is very highly trained, but she is also very large. 143 pounds! And even if you put a pound of bacon under there, she cant fit under the seat in front of me!!! LOL! I have no problem purchasing an extra ticket (or two!) so that she could lay on the floor. How well do you think this is going to be accepted? I'm really not as worried about the airline as I am about other passengers!

This is not easy for me. (Thus the support dog!) And if it's going to cause issues for others I'd rather re-think this.

Thanks for your insight and input!

Peace.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
If you're not willing to part with the miles+copay, simply don't request the upgrade. Simple as that. If you're going to withdraw your request anyway, why would you request it in the first place?
Thank you for the info

good question, couple of reasons :
1- First and foremost because I'm French
2- I had a little extra miles to spend but I had to book a trip in emergency so no more extra miles
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AnonymousTraveler

1) Has anyone traveled with a support animal before?
I've traveled with a pet in cabin before, they have to remain in their carriers. Service animals do not have to be in carriers, nor will you be required to pay the pet in cabin fee.

2) Really? All I need is a letter from my Doctor? (For travel within the U.S.)
You can find the information re: the information that needs to be on letter on aa.com

3) The reservation agent said they would "accommodate" her. What sort of "accommodations" are they talking about?

She is very highly trained, but she is also very large. 143 pounds!
Did you make it clear to the phone that she is this large? Its quite clear on aa.com that an animal - service or otherwise - of that size will have to travel in the cargo hold:

If a service animal is disruptive or too large to fit under the seat or at the passenger's feet without encroaching on another passenger's space or protruding into the aisle, it will need to travel in a kennel (provided by the passenger) in the cargo hold.
So, accommodate, in this case, means you won't have to pay additional fees.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:11 am

Well, OP mentioned the possibility of buying an extra ticket (or even two!). Then the dog, laying down on the floor, would not be encroaching on another passenger's seat. Would that be acceptable? (And this is really more of a question, as I have no experience whatsoever traveling with pets)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Well, OP mentioned the possibility of buying an extra ticket (or even two!). Then the dog, laying down on the floor, would not be encroaching on another passenger's seat. Would that be acceptable? (And this is really more of a question, as I have no experience whatsoever traveling with pets)
The dog can't be in bulkhead - b/c you can't block that space, so the question would be: can a dog that size fit in the space between the seats?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The dog can't be in bulkhead - b/c you can't block that space, so the question would be: can a dog that size fit in the space between the seats?
Time to break out the measuring tape! But I think it would be worth a call to AA just to make sure they would be alright with it. Even though the OP is being very accommodating to other passengers with the willingness to buy a whole row of tickets you never know what sort of rules an airline might have.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:49 pm

Voucher Questions

Hello, I tried doing a little research on my questions but this is the best thread that came up: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I'm not totally sure if it answers my questions, so I thought I'd try asking here too since someone out there might have a similar experience.

I guess this will be two parts. I'll try my best to explain the situation.

1. My friend has a nonrefundable ticket that she canceled back in January before the trip. The agent on the phone gave us a number (I believe it was the same as her eTicket number) that she said can be used for future travels. I'm not sure if this is considered a voucher; I'm wondering how my friend can apply the balance (minus the fees) on that ticket for an upcoming trip.

2. I have an eVoucher from Customer Relations that I'd like to use. Looks pretty simple if I want to just apply the amount to my ticket, but here's my question: since the balance on my friend's canceled ticket is probably going to be greater than her ticket for this upcoming trip, I was thinking I can use whatever's left of her balance after buying her new ticket on my purchase (probably on the same PNR). Am I able to use her balance on two different tickets (hers and partially mine)? And am I able to use both a eVoucher, her balance, AND a credit card on the same transaction?

Thanks in advance for any tips. Please let me know if anything is unclear.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by dustclee
1. My friend has a nonrefundable ticket that she canceled back in January before the trip. The agent on the phone gave us a number (I believe it was the same as her eTicket number) that she said can be used for future travels. I'm not sure if this is considered a voucher; I'm wondering how my friend can apply the balance (minus the fees) on that ticket for an upcoming trip.
I'll take #1. Your friend will not technically have a voucher. It is a transfer of the residual ticket value after the change fee, which is usually hefty. She can only apply this value to a ticket in her name. But you are correct, if the new ticket is less expensive than the residual value of the original ticket, she will get the remainder as a voucher. That voucher can be used to buy a ticket in anyone's name.

You can check residual value here:
https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

I would either call in a reservation (which charges a phone fee), or place a ticket on hold online and then call in to apply the residual value (which I think does not charge a phone fee).

More info here, the from general FAQ:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16185815-post26.html

I'll leave #2 to someone else because I've never tried it...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Hi everyone, I had a quick question regarding the Minimum Mileage Guarantee for AAdvantage Elites.

I will be AA Gold for an upcoming flight with the following segments as sort of a pseudo-MR in hopes of making Plat as part of the elite fasttrack promo: SJC-ORD-MKE-ORD-SAN

The segments between ORD and MKE are only about 60~ miles. My question is, as a Gold elite, will the ORD-MKE and MKE-ORD segments each be credited as 500 EQM?

I've never had AA elite status before and have never really done a MR, so this is new territory for me. Ultimately, this would be the difference for whether or not I achieve Plat (after this flight, anyway).
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: spg
Hawaii

Hello,

Trying to get my family of 4 from Boston to Hawaii next summer. My husband and I have 290k AA miles. Appears to be some availability in bus/first saver although we will have to split up for the final leg. We are willing to buy the 10k in miles we need to make this happen. First of all, if there is a choice to fly AA or HA which has a better premium cabin? Would we likely be in first or business class? Should I consider a different strategy with my miles...ie free oneway on a Europe flight or fly a partner? Any input greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by bhamsan01
The segments between ORD and MKE are only about 60~ miles. My question is, as a Gold elite, will the ORD-MKE and MKE-ORD segments each be credited as 500 EQM?
Yup! Happy MRing!
https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/500milechangeFAQs.jsp
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Thank you! You just made my day.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
aa.com - have they just "improved" things?

Anyone know off hand if AA have just "improved" the website? The reason I ask is that suddenly the site fails to render (more than half the time) under anything other than Firefox and IE. Which is annoying when you're using chrome, opera, and safari...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Anyone know off hand if AA have just "improved" the website? The reason I ask is that suddenly the site fails to render (more than half the time) under anything other than Firefox and IE. Which is annoying when you're using chrome, opera, and safari...
Working fine on chrome for me. Is there a particular page that is having issues? I recently made award reservations/purchased tickets. Seem to be all working fine.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: Aadvantage
Will HA flight on AA itin post minimum 500 mileage?

Will HNL-OGG, or HNL-KOA flight on AA itinerary post as 500 miles? I am EXP.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.