Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Can you ever book an MCE seat with an AAdvantage award?

I'm looking at a flight from lax-jfk-fco in the summer and I want to fly MCE(at least) so if the answer to the question above is no, I want to book the 60k Anytime award(in MCE) and see if an upgrade becomes available for a 50k biz seat.
Unfortunately, there is currently no way to purchase MCE on a sAAver ticket if you are not otherwise eligible (status, etc). It's a quirk of the AA system that I don't understand.

Are you sure it's worth the extra miles to fly an AAnytime award? If so, then go for it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:07 am

Hi All. I'm a Platinum AA member and really confused about the difference (if there is a difference) between "500 mile upgrades" and "complimentary upgrades." I've received a different answer from the Platinum help desk every time I can American. I have the following questions and would be grateful for help!:
1) What is the difference between these two things? And what does that mean for a platinum member?
2) I've noticed that a couple times I've been upgraded, no "500 mile tickets" were deducted from my account. Was that a mistake on American's part? Conversely, sometimes those tickets are deducted when I'm upgraded. Why the discrepancy?

Thank you all! (And apologies if this shows as a reply; I can't find a button for posting new questions)
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by kat2082
Hi All. I'm a Platinum AA member and really confused about the difference (if there is a difference) between "500 mile upgrades" and "complimentary upgrades." I've received a different answer from the Platinum help desk every time I can American. I have the following questions and would be grateful for help!:
1) What is the difference between these two things? And what does that mean for a platinum member?
2) I've noticed that a couple times I've been upgraded, no "500 mile tickets" were deducted from my account. Was that a mistake on American's part? Conversely, sometimes those tickets are deducted when I'm upgraded. Why the discrepancy?

Thank you all! (And apologies if this shows as a reply; I can't find a button for posting new questions)
They are the same. The requests are ordered by status then request time (but Y/B fares trump within status). When EXPs request complimentary upgrades, they are truly complimentary. However, PLTs and GLDs must use "500 mile stickers" to upgrade, unless they are on Y/B fares, in which case no stickers will be deducted. Thus, I suppose the only difference is "how complimentary they are".

If you are a PLT not on a Y/B fare, and you got an upgrade without AA deducting any stickers, then that is a mistake. I would expect them to be deducted eventually when AA's systems come around, but if not, then you lucked out.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
I have 5 seats booked for next week with Avios. I cannot select seat assignments online because there are not 5 free seats available (only 3). There are however 10 paid seats available. 5 at $24 and 5 at $49; not counting the 5 in an exit row.
AA online says to get seat assignments at the desk or the gate the day of.
Will AA then have the paid seats open for free? When is the best time for me to try to get seat assignments? My flight isn't until noon, but I'll drive down to the airport to get an assignment at midnight if I can ensure good seats together.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kat2082

Only you can answer part of this - as others have stated there's a difference between the "complimentary upgrade" you get on Y/B fares, and sticker upgrades you get on discounted economy fares. So for me it boils down to 1) have you been upgraded on segments where you didn't specifically request an upgrade? and 2) were these segments booked in Y/B? Op-ups do happen - if the Y cabin is oversold, they'll bump elites into F, which is another explanation of how you could have been upgraded without them deducting stickers. Yet another explanation is that your sticker balance is inaccurate. Mine has been off for weeks.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Not exactly a newbie, but it has been decades since I had any status on AA, and am trying to get status.

I flew three long hauls on AA 001 ticket stock on flights operated by BA: LHR/BLR, BLR/LHR, and LHR/ORD. All three were in Club World (booked into, not upgraded, not award travel). The first was Dec 3 of this year. The second and third were over a week ago. My AA number was attached to the reservation, and the. BP shows the AA number.

None of the three BA segments have credited any miles to AA yet. I have requested credit online for the LHR/BLR segment, but now reexamining the aa.com page on earning miles I am not so sure I will get anything. It says flights marketed and operated by BA will get elite status miles. But these were marketed by AA and operated by BA.

Have I messed up? If so, is there any way in future to get AA elite status miles on this route, USA to LHR to BLR when BA operates the LHR/BLR segments? And what if BA operates the LHR/USA segments?

Last edited by mre5765; Dec 22, 2013 at 5:14 am
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mre5765
Not exactly a newbie, but it has been decades since I had any status on AA, and am trying to get status.

I flew three long hauls on AA 001 ticket stock on flights operated by BA: LHR/BLR, BLR/LHR, and LHR/ORD. All three were in Club World (booked into, not upgraded, not award travel). The first was Dec 3 of this year. The second and third were over a week ago. My AA number was attached to the reservation, and the. BP shows the AA number.

None of the three BA segments have credited any miles to AA yet. I have requested credit online for the LHR/BLR segment, but now reexamining the aa.com page on earning miles I am not so sure I will get anything. It says flights marketed and operated by BA will get elite status miles. But these were marketed by AA and operated by BA.

Have I messed up? If so, is there any way in future to get AA elite status miles on this route, USA to LHR to BLR when BA operates the LHR/BLR segments? And what if BA operates the LHR/USA segments?
No you haven't messed up and you are entitled to earn miles and status from the flights

If your flight numbers were BA flight numbers then you will earn according to the BA earning table

If the flights numbers were AA flight numbers then you earn according to the AA earning table (You say this is your case). The key words on the aa web page for you are "Miles are also earned for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle or American Connection codeshare flights operated by other airlines."
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:22 am

Award schedule change

I have 2 award tickets on hold for a non stop for next year. I just noticed a schedule change and they have canceled all non stops.

My question is if I book now and they change the schedule again offering non stops will there be a charge to change and will I have any advantage to getting those flights?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I have 2 award tickets on hold for a non stop for next year. I just noticed a schedule change and they have canceled all non stops.

My question is if I book now and they change the schedule again offering non stops will there be a charge to change and will I have any advantage to getting those flights?
Yes - when AA change your flight schedule you have the option to change your flight w/out any penalty and you should not be subject to award capacity controls. However, this probably doesn't help you for a ticket currently on hold.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by pandaperth
No you haven't messed up and you are entitled to earn miles and status from the flights

If your flight numbers were BA flight numbers then you will earn according to the BA earning table

If the flights numbers were AA flight numbers then you earn according to the AA earning table (You say this is your case). The key words on the aa web page for you are "Miles are also earned for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle or American Connection codeshare flights operated by other airlines."
Thanks for the quick reply.

They were AA flight numbers. That AA bases earning on its code shares operated by other carriers is a vast simplification, and something I can easily control.

However, I forgot to mention that, on BA.com I did pay cash to get preassigned seats. Will that impact anything?

Last edited by mre5765; Dec 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Yes - when AA change your flight schedule you have the option to change your flight w/out any penalty and you should not be subject to award capacity controls. However, this probably doesn't help you for a ticket currently on hold.
Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Originally Posted by bdemaria
flight changes should be free. But if you ticket the connecting flights now, and AA later (re-)adds nonstops, assuming your original connecting flights are also still operating, then AA would regard this as a voluntary change and you would still be subject to award capacity controls on the new non-stop.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Hi folks, got a question for you:

I'm EXP for 2014 but likely won't re-qualify for EXP the year after.

I don't have any experience booking award travel, but I've banked a few hundred thousand miles and intend to use the miles on booking int'l J/F award travel.

Is it better to use the miles while I'm still EXP, or should I try to do paid travel (with SWUs) in 2014 before redeeming awards?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a 22x14x10 bag that fits snugly into the 738 bins. Will this bag be a problem fitting in the overheads on a 763 for international travel? I'll be in MCE if it makes any difference.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned
I have a 22x14x10 bag that fits snugly into the 738 bins. Will this bag be a problem fitting in the overheads on a 763 for international travel? I'll be in MCE if it makes any difference.
It should fit fine. Make sure you put it into the bins on the side (since the center bins on the 763 are much smaller)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.