Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:40 pm

i have a trip to boston and back next week, and i submitted for an upgrade request. however, the flight back BOS->LAX looks beyond full (i've got a crappy front exit row seat), so i'm thinking there's no chance i get upgraded.

is there any option for me to upgrade that leg of the flight to first class guaranteed using miles?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by shadymg
i have a trip to boston and back next week, and i submitted for an upgrade request. however, the flight back BOS->LAX looks beyond full (i've got a crappy front exit row seat), so i'm thinking there's no chance i get upgraded.

is there any option for me to upgrade that leg of the flight to first class guaranteed using miles?
With the dates and flight number someone can look it up on EF. I would be glad to.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:30 pm

super newb question....what is EF?

Flight info:
12/26
LAX->BOS
Flight 222

12/26
BOS->LAX
Flight 143

thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:36 pm

EF is www.expertflyer.com - you can look up flight/award availability etc. It does not show "X" (upgrade) inventory. I subscribe, but there is a free trial available

Flt 222 shows F7 and A7 inventory available. With A inventory you can use miles + copay or SWU

Flt 143 shows F1 (one first class seat for sale) and A0. Doesn't look like this one has a very good chance for a sticker or other upgrade.

Flt 223 departing BOS at 7:45 PM looks to have much better availability for an upgrade

On EF you can set up seat/fare class alerts so if a seat becomes available EF will email you when the fare class or selected seat(s) become available

What status are you?

super newb question....what is EF?

Flight info:
12/26
LAX->BOS
Flight 222

12/26
BOS->LAX
Flight 143

thanks!

Last edited by tucsnaz; Dec 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm Reason: Added information on another flight
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:47 pm

i'm platinum. (After these flights i'll be EXP)

oh man, to force upgrade you have to pay $$$ AND use miles?!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:02 pm

This is a good place to start to learn about upgrades: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822043

Congratulations on becoming EXP. You'll have earned it after that BOS - LAX flight in Y.

i'm platinum. (After these flights i'll be EXP)

oh man, to force upgrade you have to pay $$$ AND use miles?!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ive heard that UA went through a recent devaluation. I hate to ask, but what happened with UA, and are we expecting a similar devaluation with airlines such as AA? I'd hate to see anything happen negatively accross the board.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
Thank you for this info

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Here are the terms and conditions:

Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors and assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. Mileage credit is transferable between AAdvantage accounts when offered by AA online, with the shareAAmilesSM program. The member must adhere to the rules and limitations of the shareAAmiles program.

Many get the username and password of the deceased and book travel using the points until its used up. You can also contact AA to transfer the miles per the NYT's article below for 50 dollars.

The NYT also had a good article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/tr...iles.html?_r=0

Sorry to hear about your friend's husband passing away.

Last edited by JBGL; Dec 18, 2013 at 6:11 am Reason: forgot to add
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by tucsnaz
This is a good place to start to learn about upgrades: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post11822043

Congratulations on becoming EXP. You'll have earned it after that BOS - LAX flight in Y.
so i was reading that thread (great link!), but something confused me. I read where it said "AA awards GLD and PLT elite members four free 500-mile electronic upgrades for every 10,000 elite-qualifying miles (Miles Towards Elite Upgrades) earned during the membership year (Mar 1 – Feb 28)."

But i was under the impression that the status is yearly done on the calendar year--hence why i'm doing a mileage run next week to get it before the 31st. What am i missing?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:02 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so i was reading that thread (great link!), but something confused me. I read where it said "AA awards GLD and PLT elite members four free 500-mile electronic upgrades for every 10,000 elite-qualifying miles (Miles Towards Elite Upgrades) earned during the membership year (Mar 1 – Feb 28)."

But i was under the impression that the status is yearly done on the calendar year--hence why i'm doing a mileage run next week to get it before the 31st. What am i missing?

The membership year runs from March 1 to the last day of the following February - this reflects flight activity from the prior year.

So all flight activity from January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013 will determine your status for the 2014 Membership Year and will last through Feb 28 2015.

Of course once you cross an elite status threshold in 2013 you get that status in 2013 through February 28, 2015.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:51 pm

Status membership year vs. qualifying year. If you failed to requlify by Dec. 31 of this year, you would lose your current status come Mar. 1, but not before that.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:54 pm

767 first class to Hawaii

I am getting ready to book a trip to Hawaii in April. We would be on a 767 from DFW to OGG on American. what can anyone tell me about the first class in an AA 767 VS. a Hawaiian Airlines 767 first class. Which one would be better? Thank you.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmr851
I am getting ready to book a trip to Hawaii in April. We would be on a 767 from DFW to OGG on American. what can anyone tell me about the first class in an AA 767 VS. a Hawaiian Airlines 767 first class. Which one would be better? Thank you.
AA offers a much better premium cabin than HA.

AA = Angled flat seats with bose noise cancelling headsets and tablet for entertainment.

HA = domestic first class reclining seats with limited recline.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:08 pm

Would the seats on the AA flight be a newer type first/business seat because pics i'm finding online don't show the tablet and angled seats. Thank you.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:11 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmr851
Would the seats on the AA flight be a newer type first/business seat because pics i'm finding online don't show the tablet and angled seats. Thank you.
If you search this forum for NGBC you will find photos of the Next Generation Business Class seats. These are now a generation behind but they are a far cry from economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.