FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:12 am
Apieinthesky

Originally Posted by kat2082
Hi All. I'm a Platinum AA member and really confused about the difference (if there is a difference) between "500 mile upgrades" and "complimentary upgrades." I've received a different answer from the Platinum help desk every time I can American. I have the following questions and would be grateful for help!:
1) What is the difference between these two things? And what does that mean for a platinum member?
2) I've noticed that a couple times I've been upgraded, no "500 mile tickets" were deducted from my account. Was that a mistake on American's part? Conversely, sometimes those tickets are deducted when I'm upgraded. Why the discrepancy?

Thank you all! (And apologies if this shows as a reply; I can't find a button for posting new questions)
They are the same. The requests are ordered by status then request time (but Y/B fares trump within status). When EXPs request complimentary upgrades, they are truly complimentary. However, PLTs and GLDs must use "500 mile stickers" to upgrade, unless they are on Y/B fares, in which case no stickers will be deducted. Thus, I suppose the only difference is "how complimentary they are".

If you are a PLT not on a Y/B fare, and you got an upgrade without AA deducting any stickers, then that is a mistake. I would expect them to be deducted eventually when AA's systems come around, but if not, then you lucked out.