Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by keggers1
Great. Thanks for the response. I guess my only hang-up was that Iberia.com doesn't publish Madrid-OGG.
The IB website maybe doesn't show the routing - probably because it doesn't fly its own metal end-to-end, or the routing has long layovers, or some other reason that causes its search engine to not return any flights.

But IB does publish MAD-OGG fares (source: KVS)
I checked out the cheapest Y and J fares - both are MPM fares with a MPM of 9,666. MAD-ORD-LAX-OGG is 8,431 miles. So you should be good to go.
Old May 19, 2013, 2:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by drsh99
I'm AA PLT, so will use a lounge--which one is best? Arriving around 6 am on a Sunday in June on BA (terminal 5). Departing 9pm-ish from Terminal 5. No checked bags and I'd like to leave rollaway at the airport then head in to town for sightseeing.
1) which lounge will be best/least crowded for shower and breakfast?
2) can leave rollaway at lounge? or need to store it elsewhere?
3) Been to London several times, so interested in less-obvious locales for walking/people-watching/museums--what's good when sunny? rainy?
4) what time to get back to airport for anxiety-free experience?

many thanks!
1) All the BA business lounges in T5 (T5A North, T5A South, and T5B) have showers provided by Elemis Spa. Quality is all equal. I can't speak to crowdedness at your arrival time since I don't have enough experience. I favor Galleries Club in T5A South, but for no overwhelming reason.
2) Can't leave luggage at the lounge. But LHR has left luggage facilities landside (http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...s/left-baggage).
3) How about visiting Windsor instead of London proper?
4) I'd personally get back by 6pm-ish mostly because I don't trust LHR to be a smooth experience and am conservative about my time estimates there.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Held Reservation

I still don't understand how the "24 hours hold" feature works.
The system automatically cancelled my held reservation less than 24 hours.
When I held the reservation at 4:52 PM PDT on May 18, it said

If you do not purchase this reservation by the date listed above it will automatically cancel.

May 19, 2013 11:59 PM PDT is also more than 24 hours.

Anyway 16 hours later it was cancelled automatically when I checked this morning.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I still don't understand how the "24 hours hold" feature works.
The system automatically cancelled my held reservation less than 24 hours.
When I held the reservation at 4:52 PM PDT on May 18, it said

If you do not purchase this reservation by the date listed above it will automatically cancel.

May 19, 2013 11:59 PM PDT is also more than 24 hours.

Anyway 16 hours later it was cancelled automatically when I checked this morning.
Holds occasionally are for shorter periods of time, if the minimum purchase for the fare (e.g. 21 day advance) is in less than 24 hours, but when this happens, the displayed Purchase By date usually shows the correct earlier date.

If you still want this fare, and if it's no longer bookable, I'd give web services a call and see if they can assist you.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat for Life
Hi everyone,

I can't figure out why AAdvantage flights are so expensive when routing through LHR?
I'm trying to book 2 Biz class tix for my parents from BGO to AUS using MileSAAver, but the cost in addition to miles is ~$1,300. Is it normal for fights through LHR to have these expenses?
Old May 19, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Austinboi
Hi everyone,

I can't figure out why AAdvantage flights are so expensive when routing through LHR?
I'm trying to book 2 Biz class tix for my parents from BGO to AUS using MileSAAver, but the cost in addition to miles is ~$1,300. Is it normal for fights through LHR to have these expenses?
Yes. If you do a search for "Fuel Surcharge" you should find many posts.

Unfortunately the airlines break this out for award tickets and tack it on top sometimes calling it taxes, but it isn't. It's a money grab they used to allow them to show a very low fare and then tack on YQ until DoT ruled they have to include it in the fare searches. However, they are allowed to separate it out when booking awards. I don't think AA.com shows the breakdown, but if you use ITASoftware, they will show all the components.

Story is AA has lower YQ's (or is it YR's now) than BA, but both are scams to get more money where they can.

There are also other fees for flying to/from LHR they you might be able to avoid if you are just passing through. Some apply to flying premium class too. Again, searching "LHR" or "APD" will get you to those threads.
Old May 19, 2013, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Story is AA has lower YQ's (or is it YR's now) than BA, but both are scams to get more money where they can."

Although AA TATL cash fares have a YQ or YR component, those surcharges are not applied to AAdvantage award redemptions on AA metal. In fact, the only AAdvantage redemptions that involve any surcharge are those involving flights on BA or IB metal.

Taxes and airport fees are another matter.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:20 am

Hi,
I'm a very infrequent flyer (at least until I finish university) and a newbie, and I'm looking to book a round trip flight TLV-NYC-MIA-TLV in the winter (18/12/13-08/01/14). I've used ITA matrix to find the cheapest fare (flying through LHR between TLV-NYC and MIA-TLV) and I'm able to achieve the specified fare when booking through AA.com (single booking), but when trying to book through BA.com (single booking) it comes out ~150$ more expensive - for the exact same itinerary.
I noticed the previous post regarding the surcharges, which raises a different question - is there any difference to purchasing the ticket through AA or BA? (All legs of the journey are BA, except for NYC-MIA which is AA)

A different question, relating to the same itinerary: the layover in LHR on the return flight (MIA-TLV) is only 1:50. I've read a bunch of different posts on the matter in the UK forum, but what I really want to know is if my luggage will be ticketed all the way through, or will I have to claim and re-check. Does it matter that MIA-LHR is ticketed as AA and LHR-TLV is ticketed BA if both flights are BA metal?
(FWIW I believe that the BA LHR-TLV leaves from T1 and not T5)

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:36 am

Hi, I'm flying to India and would love to use SWUs to upgrade the trip. Unfortunately I see that AA canceled its ORD-DEL flight. I was wondering if it's possible to get "close" to India on an AA flight and just buy a cash ticket from India to that connection point. Does anyone know if there's a list of destinations? There's a FT thread but it's old and closed, and the wiki is outdated as well (because it still lists ORD-DEL).

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by crimson12
Hi, I'm flying to India and would love to use SWUs to upgrade the trip. Unfortunately I see that AA canceled its ORD-DEL flight. I was wondering if it's possible to get "close" to India on an AA flight and just buy a cash ticket from India to that connection point. Does anyone know if there's a list of destinations? There's a FT thread but it's old and closed, and the wiki is outdated as well (because it still lists ORD-DEL).

Thanks!
The closest cities to DEL that are served by AA are those in Asia. PEK is the closest.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by yitzc
A different question, relating to the same itinerary: the layover in LHR on the return flight (MIA-TLV) is only 1:50. I've read a bunch of different posts on the matter in the UK forum, but what I really want to know is if my luggage will be ticketed all the way through, or will I have to claim and re-check. Does it matter that MIA-LHR is ticketed as AA and LHR-TLV is ticketed BA if both flights are BA metal?
(FWIW I believe that the BA LHR-TLV leaves from T1 and not T5)
Welcome to FT...No idea on the aa.com vs. ba.com fare difference. If it's cheapest at aa.com, then I'd just book it there.

For your return, your bags will be checked all the way to TLV. You don't have to re-claim and check-in again. Doesn't matter if it's all AA, AA to BA, all BA, etc.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
As guv mentioned above, the closest by distance city to India that AA serves is PEK.

You don't say where you're coming from in the US, but flying AA to PEK via ORD, then buying separate tickets PEK-DEL could involve significant backtracking and extra time in the air, not to mention extra $$. It may be easiest to just buy a roundtrip to DEL (or whichever city in India) on AA/BA through LHR. Use your SWUs on the AA flight to LHR.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:34 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!
I have faced the same dilemma once ORD-DEL cancelled. I would fly AA ORD-PVG, then transfer to CX/KA for PVG-HKG-India.

The connections are simple and the time between flights is 2.5 to 3 hours.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Thanks!
Yes, go to Where We Fly on AA.com under Plan Trips tab. You can restrict the search to exclude partners and that should leave you with AA metal.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
MR or RBC Avion: Transfer to Aadvantage? Avios?

I've got about 60,000 Amex Mileage Rewards points saved up.
(Promo: For US Amex cardholders, there is currently a promo bonus for converting MR to BA Avios. I haven't figured out if that applies to Canadian Mileage Rewards holders.)

My boss has about 120,000 RBC Avion points saved up.
(Promo: In July, there will be a promo bonus for converting RBC Avion to BA Avios.)

I can't make sense of the mileage conversions. There are some good blog posts about conversion successes, but I can't find any deals that get me out of YWG.

My expected flights are:
1. YWG to Europe, return, in late October. Upgraded classes would only be worth a 50% premium to me.
2. YWG to YVR, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 25,000 Aeroplan)
3. YWG to YYZ, return, year round. Y class is acceptable.
(normally 15,000 Aeroplan)
4. YWG to Florida, return, in January. Y class is acceptable.
(normally ????? Aeroplan)

Should I convert MR to Avios?
Should my boss convert RBC Avion to Avios?

That is, will we get any great deals? Do you have good success stories?

If none of that works out, my wife and I together have about 100,000 Aeroplan, which don't expire for 6 years.

Thank you in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.