Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
When I was in the D lounge on April 4th, only the top floor was open, no alcohol or hot beverages, bottled water & juices only, a small assortment of pre-packaged snacks, packaged baby carrots & yogurt.

The were serving canned beer in F but not cold & no ice on board. If you take freezer packs with you, you can take them through security as long as they are frozen. You can also take the mini bottles of alcohol (50ml) through security but technically can't consume your own on board. If there is a food outlet past security that has ice, ask them for a cup of ice before boarding. I offered a $1 for the cup & ice which was accepted with a smile.

James
Technically from what I know, an FA is required to serve you, you can't serve yourself. So if the FA served the mini's to you, then you'd be covered. But can't see an FA doing that right now, as they don't want to have any covid exchanges
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Technically from what I know, an FA is required to serve you, you can't serve yourself. So if the FA served the mini's to you, then you'd be covered. But can't see an FA doing that right now, as they don't want to have any covid exchanges
AS has a policy that is more restrictive than what the law permits. But the law permits that you can consume booze if the FA serves it (whether of airline or passenger origin). Anyway, I'd be thrilled if they put some at least ok quality screwcap wine splits onboard.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I’m on AS1022 SFO-JFK currently and there is no service in First. Not even a can of Diet Coke. They are only providing the mini bottles of water.

The FAs are sitting next to each other in First which seems odd. I know the new protocol of one in the jump seat and one in a passenger seat for distancing. However, both sitting together in F seems to be counterproductive.
Carfield likes this.

Last edited by JHake10; Apr 26, 2020 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
I’m on AS1022 SFO-JFK currently and there is no service in First. Not even a can of Diet Coke. They are only providing the mini bottles of water.

The FAs are sitting next to each other in First which seems odd. I know the new protocol of one in the jump seat and one in a passenger seat for distancing. However, both sitting together in F seems to be counterproductive.
Thanks for the report....since most of us are grounded for the time being, we're curious about the state of flying right now. I'm 100% for maintaining a maximum level of safety, but handing out unopened cans of Diet Coke while wearing gloves and a mask seems like a pretty reasonable expectation. There is far more potential for contamination when I grab my whopper and fries through the Burger King drive thru. I for one don't *need* to eat or drink on a one or two hour flight, but I certainly wouldn't board a cross-country flight without bringing my own drinks/snacks but as passenger loads increase, I'm picturing the sights, sounds, and smells of a mall food court....yikes. It's interesting how the inflight service reports are all over the board among airlines....I saw in the AA forum that AA is planning to add "snack bags" next month whatever that may be and there are reports of many flights on AA doing full beverage service in the F cabin.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just looked up the "official" service plan on the AS website "Individual bottled water, sealed can of beer, a packaged snack" (in First) so it sounds like you missed out on the packaged snack and since you (like me) prefer a sealed can of Diet Coke over a sealed can of beer (what an odd thing to include btw), you just got the bottle of water.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Just looked up the "official" service plan on the AS website "Individual bottled water, sealed can of beer, a packaged snack" (in First) so it sounds like you missed out on the packaged snack and since you (like me) prefer a sealed can of Diet Coke over a sealed can of beer (what an odd thing to include btw), you just got the bottle of water.
I saw that as well (same for Premium Class too). I assumed if they were serving beer then they’d have soda also. They definitely didn’t have Diet Coke (I asked) and they didn’t have any snacks or food for purchase. It seems there is a disconnect between marketing and operations.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw that as well (same for Premium Class too). I assumed if they were serving beer then they’d have soda also. They definitely didn’t have Diet Coke (I asked) and they didn’t have any snacks or food for purchase. It seems there is a disconnect between marketing and operations.
I just thought it was odd that they singled out one particular beverage in their description.....almost like saying "Sprite Zero" is available by the can....lol.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There may also be a disconnect or other interruption in the supply chain.
JHake10 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Are they serving beer to Golds in main cabin?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by scklumb
Are they serving beer to Golds in main cabin?
Based on my one flight beer isn't even catered (along with any other soft drinks). It seems to be bottled water only.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I just thought it was odd that they singled out one particular beverage in their description.....almost like saying "Sprite Zero" is available by the can....lol.
Alaska knows we all need a beer right now
JacksonFlyer and pcoll like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Is it AS policy for the Flight Attendants to wear face coverings throughout the duration of the flight? Or can they remove them after door closure? The latter was the case according to someone I know who flew today.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Is it AS policy for the Flight Attendants to wear face coverings throughout the duration of the flight? Or can they remove them after door closure? The latter was the case according to someone I know who flew today.
Not sure of official policy but FAs wore face coverings the whole flight.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
First and Premium and can get Beer. Main cabin is water. So they def have beer. Just wonder if Golds in main can get a beer?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scklumb
First and Premium and can get Beer. Main cabin is water. So they def have beer. Just wonder if Golds in main can get a beer?
Given how few people are on the planes right now, is it even possible to be a Gold and not at least be in PC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.