Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I was on AS 334 last night. We were offered an opened and plated fruit and cheese plate. Usually no meal on this flight so it was actually pretty nice. Soda cans and water to drink.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I really would like to know how alcohol transmits the virus, or pre-maid sandwiches or other processed foods individually wrapped items do the same. You can grab something from the lounge..but that something cannot be served on the plane. If they cannot serve booze..can I bring my own on board? I want people to be safe, I want to protect service workers such as the AS crews...but if this is the policy then AS should shutter the front cabin and have a flat fee for all flights.
Handling items can transmit the virus. Stocking cans of beer is low risk, but it may set up disappointment that wine and spirits, which require pouring and cups, are not available.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by fly18725
Handling items can transmit the virus. Stocking cans of beer is low risk, but it may set up disappointment that wine and spirits, which require pouring and cups, are not available.
do not disagree with you..but where does it stop? The food in the lounge is “handled” but that’s ok? Let’s close the lounges. I have always washed my hands, even more so now. The flight I took the other day I watched the first FA wash her hands, then glove more than I have seen surgeons do. If this is the way, fine, but if it is the same for a $32 saver fare as opposed to $800 fare for a bigger seat and a few more EQM...then heck, let’s move towards a cash value basis for miles (no). Regardless, I will still fly as there things I need to do, AS can go the next step and make a flat fee to fly.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Get real. This is 100% Alaska trying to save money. You think the ingredients in a packaged salad or a preprepared sandwich are manufactured in the heavens and have only been touched by a sterile robot until the time it gets to you? We all have to take minimal risks every day to survive. If you are charging a healthy premium for a product, you can figure out a way to safely serve food and drink. Otherwise just close off F seats for sale and become Spirit offering big front seats for the first few rows.

Seating people at least 6 feet apart would probably be a better safety measure.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
do not disagree with you..but where does it stop? The food in the lounge is “handled” but that’s ok? Let’s close the lounges. I have always washed my hands, even more so now. The flight I took the other day I watched the first FA wash her hands, then glove more than I have seen surgeons do. If this is the way, fine, but if it is the same for a $32 saver fare as opposed to $800 fare for a bigger seat and a few more EQM...then heck, let’s move towards a cash value basis for miles (no). Regardless, I will still fly as there things I need to do, AS can go the next step and make a flat fee to fly.
I’m not sure where it stops. The food in the lounge is handled less, and in more sterile conditions, than inflight catering.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Get real. This is 100% Alaska trying to save money. You think the ingredients in a packaged salad or a preprepared sandwich are manufactured in the heavens and have only been touched by a sterile robot until the time it gets to you? We all have to take minimal risks every day to survive. If you are charging a healthy premium for a product, you can figure out a way to safely serve food and drink. Otherwise just close off F seats for sale and become Spirit offering big front seats for the first few rows.

Do you really think saving a few bucks on F catering is part of the decision making process right now? How many people are actually buying F these days?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Did it ever occur to anyone here that there may be issues with consistency in the supply chain? I don't just mean the food getting shipped to the airport kitchens. I mean the employees in the kitchens getting to work. I mean all the ramp workers that bring the food to the planes. Public transit is starting to get axed around the Bay Area - first BART, limiting hours. More is to come. Workers are home tending to children out of school. Some are going to test positive for COVID-19 or won''t be working, even at the slightest hint of a sniffle or "I swallowed wrong" cough. The curve of confirmed cases is going to skyrocket in the coming weeks.

Anyone displeased with the service reduction is now on notice and can bank the F ticket and rebook in Y on planes that are pretty empty, and if s/he has status, can get an upgrade back into the F seat.
PDXFlyBoy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The fact remains that being honest with customers is really the best practice. They would be far better off saying we are going broke and have to save as much as we can to keep the airline going or the catering staff have all been laid off and we are no longer able to get any supplies. Cutting food and drink back could be due to supply chain issues--that would make far more sense. If it were about safety, then AS would not have been serving any food or drink since the beginning of the year. When you are encouraging people to take mileage runs during a pandemic and serving food and drink over the last few weeks and now today, you are saying it is safety issue, it comes across as very disingenuous.
ffman999 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:12 am

The fact remains that being honest with customers is really the best practice. They would be far better off saying we are going broke and have to save as much as we can to keep the airline going or the catering staff have all been laid off and we are no longer able to get any supplies. Cutting food and drink back could be due to supply chain issues--that would make far more sense. If it were about safety, then AS would not have been serving any food or drink since the beginning of the year. When you are encouraging people to take mileage runs during a pandemic and serving food and drink over the last few weeks and now today, you are saying it is safety issue, it comes across as very disingenuous.
What bubble are you living in?

The situation is changing day to day and hour to hour. If you’re so bitter about CATERING when peoples lives and livelihoods are being severely disrupted, well, I can’t think of anything polite to say...
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: Continental
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by hockey7711; Mar 21, 2020 at 10:38 am Reason: please delete, meant to quote first
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
What bubble are you living in?

The situation is changing day to day and hour to hour. If you’re so bitter about CATERING when peoples lives and livelihoods are being severely disrupted, well, I can’t think of anything polite to say...
I think it is the "I hate everything AS, AS can do no right," bubble.

James
PDXFlyBoy and Finkface like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I guess people far wiser than I would say "then fly United."

We're dealing with something that is far more virulent and surviving on surfaces far longer than most viruses, with more severe effect, including the age ranges seriously affected than originally sold to us, while our dear leader remains politically calling it Chinese Virus every day. As much as I'd have seriously disappointed had I flown today for 5+ hours with no F&B to speak of, and no tablet, today is not the day I'd have complained.

The last thing AS needs is to be sued for "serving someone COVID-19." I'm sure AS has been sued, and complained upon many many times by "food poisoned" people that perhaps were poisoned either before or after their flights. I'm not going to opine on anyone's F&B offerings right now. It doesn't mean I wouldn't hate my life flying transcon or similar right now. It means "I get it."
I have for 25 years and almost 2 million miles
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:41 am

Anybody know what food options are still open at Terminal 2 at SFO and EWR terminal A?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Anybody know what food options are still open at Terminal 2 at SFO and EWR terminal A?
https://www.flysfo.com/open-dining

Updated as of yesterday. Don't' blame if it isn't accurate today or tomorrow!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:57 am

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:49 am

Southwest just discontinued most beverages. I would be surprised if the other airlines do not follow suite. You also to look at the flip side. Dishing out food and drinks are not the real issue here. The real risk is in picking up half eaten meals and items that have come in contact with your mouth. This is not just about you, it is about all of us and what we all can do to help minimize the spread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.