Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Could be worse, I guess.

Northwest deli picnic pack - $6.50

This hearty picnic pack includes Tim’s Cascade potato chips, Old Wisconsin salami, La Panzanella multigrain crackers, Madi K’s sea salt roasted Almonds , Almond Roca, and Glacier Ridge Farms smoked gouda.
Old May 1, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
You're correct...I don't think I noticed the word "box" in the updated food/beverage announcement. Are they also still serving the snack basket in F as has been recently reported by another poster on the RDU-CHS tag flight or does the snack box replace this?
to be honest, I don’t know. I would guess one replaces the other, but I really don’t know.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
Could be worse, I guess.

Northwest deli picnic pack - $6.50

This hearty picnic pack includes Tim’s Cascade potato chips, Old Wisconsin salami, La Panzanella multigrain crackers, Madi K’s sea salt roasted Almonds , Almond Roca, and Glacier Ridge Farms smoked gouda.
Yep, sounds good to me.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Can confirm that there is now beer back on the plane. At least on the 175 in F. I'll see how the Q400 goes this week. As for the snack box, yep, it's what is described above.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:50 pm

Both Snack Basket & Snack Box Today

From SEA to STL today, they had both the snack box and the snack basket in first class. The flight attendant said they are working on bring back alcohol in some form or fashion very soon!
Eastbay1K, DUT, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jhawk737
From SEA to STL today, they had both the snack box and the snack basket in first class. The flight attendant said they are working on bring back alcohol in some form or fashion very soon!
Might I suggest the Alaska Airlines COVID Samovar Service. You simply bring your own cup, the FA opens the bourbon-filled Samovar spigot over the cup you're holding, releases the "appropriate pour" for the flight duration* and it is all contact free.

*I nominate Beck and Bob to lead the training seminar.

[And if you don't get the reference, just google Alaska Samovar - it is merely a modified version of prior AS service.]
sltlyamusd and tusphotog like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Wow, that service looks amazing. Caviar, borscht, salad, main course, bread basket and that cool samovar!

catmndu likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
Wow, that service looks amazing. Caviar, borscht, salad, main course, bread basket and that cool samovar!

Golden Samovar Service
I remember their ads for the Golden Samovar service as a kid. I didn't fly AS back then, although my Mother has stories about it. I do remember United's "Ocean to Ocean" F service in the 80's with tossed salad plated at the your seat and beef handcarved carved at your seat with a creamy horseradish sauce (can you tell I'm hungry?) and AA's international F service in the early 90's, complete with caviar.
Old May 9, 2020, 7:14 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Both DL and AA are now serving close-to-normal, if not normal, First class meals in their F cabins. I don't mean a pre-packaged "snack," I mean a meal. they also have their full complement of inflight entertainment. It looks like AS is using COVID19 as an excuse to cheap out on it's best customers and not deliver what is reasonably expected in F. But...at least they charge twice as much as DL.

It's getting really difficult to stay an AS customer. Loyalty goes both ways. We pay for Alaska and get Spirit.
Old May 9, 2020, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ftv
Both DL and AA are now serving close-to-normal, if not normal, First class meals in their F cabins. I don't mean a pre-packaged "snack," I mean a meal. they also have their full complement of inflight entertainment. It looks like AS is using COVID19 as an excuse to cheap out on it's best customers and not deliver what is reasonably expected in F. But...at least they charge twice as much as DL.

It's getting really difficult to stay an AS customer. Loyalty goes both ways. We pay for Alaska and get Spirit.
I'm all for getting back to some sort of service - but let's just be honest about what's going on if you're here to bash AS for not providing meals. Domestically, DL is doing the same thing in FC that AS is - Flight Fuel packs and water. They aren't anywhere near normal. In fact, it's as bad as it's been since the beginning of this whole thing. I just glanced at one fare SEA-LAX on 5/29. DL and AS were the same. Actually, DL was like $3 higher. I don't have the time, nor do I care to do an extensive fare search. You're the one complaining about things that don't appear to be based in fact, so you can do the research if you actually believe what you say to be true - but it looks like you're just making stuff up. AA - just look at their webpage, it shows that they are not back to anywhere near normal. Flights under 2200 miles - nothing. Snack and a drink. Possibly an alcoholic drink - though it's a crap shoot according to their forum here. I have friends that work at DL and all you need to do is look at their forum here for info on what they're serving in F - or you can actually look at their webpage for the companies official info.
Old May 9, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Yes
Is it official policy to block all of Row 1 on an ERJ-175? It was a 55 min flight.

I selected my seat 1D, someone else had 1A. Flight had 10 people in total.

Seats were moved to 2A and 2D 10 min prior to departure and when I inquired as to why the gate staff said it was to create social distancing space for the flight attendant. OK, I could understand that, but.. the flight attendant just sat in 1D for the duration of the flight on the phone, after handing out waters and a deli box.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let us not forget that the primary purpose of these inflight service changes is so that AS doesn't have to change its slogan to "Die with a Happy face." So close to one of their old logos. I'm holding off judgment on comparing AS with what the "other guys" are doing right now.

tusphotog likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ftv

Uh, not true.....AA and DL aren't serving anything close to what would be considered a "meal"....it's prepackaged snacks or snack boxes just like AS.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I'm all for getting back to some sort of service - but let's just be honest about what's going on if you're here to bash AS for not providing meals. Domestically, DL is doing the same thing in FC that AS is - Flight Fuel packs and water. They aren't anywhere near normal. In fact, it's as bad as it's been since the beginning of this whole thing. I just glanced at one fare SEA-LAX on 5/29. DL and AS were the same. Actually, DL was like $3 higher. I don't have the time, nor do I care to do an extensive fare search. You're the one complaining about things that don't appear to be based in fact, so you can do the research if you actually believe what you say to be true - but it looks like you're just making stuff up. AA - just look at their webpage, it shows that they are not back to anywhere near normal. Flights under 2200 miles - nothing. Snack and a drink. Possibly an alcoholic drink - though it's a crap shoot according to their forum here. I have friends that work at DL and all you need to do is look at their forum here for info on what they're serving in F - or you can actually look at their webpage for the companies official info.
I just checked my DL June reservation and there has now been a minor schedule change (I wish the thing would just cancel) but more germane to this thread, the inflight service on ATL/OAK (5+ hour block time) is Meal Services: Snacks, Bottled Water
Old May 9, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ftv

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I don't keep up to date with AA or DL, but presented only as a data point, UA is only providing real food on their (3) premium transcon routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.