Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Given how few people are on the planes right now, is it even possible to be a Gold and not at least be in PC?
With less than 20 people on an entire plane, I would say just have everyone grab a beverage of their choice from the cart upon boarding. Like I said before, you're at far more risk running through the Burger King drive-thru....lol.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
With less than 20 people on an entire plane, I would say just have everyone grab a beverage of their choice from the cart upon boarding. Like I said before, you're at far more risk running through the Burger King drive-thru....lol.
that's basically what they're doing, but telling you to pay $3 for it at the one store still open in the terminal.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Given how few people are on the planes right now, is it even possible to be a Gold and not at least be in PC?
If that is true and if it is also true that someone mentioned that they are only giving out mini-bottles of water and nothing else, then as far as I am concerned every seat if "first class".
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
If that is true and if it is also true that someone mentioned that they are only giving out mini-bottles of water and nothing else, then as far as I am concerned every seat if "first class".
Sure, all First Class seats, but some are wider than others. From the "glass half-full" perspective, with the first few rows of "First Class," there isn't a line-up at row six for the forward lavatory and you are the first to liftoff and the last to land for a second or two longer to enjoy your wider seat.

James
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AS MVP75K
My travel has been curtailed greatly, but I'm self employed and I do have clients that still need me. Thus I am still traveling. I have been buying Saver fares, since service has been reduced. Up until recently, service was a canned beverage, for the whole plane. ie. can of soda or beer.

From...
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...ories#inflight
Flights over 350 miles do have beer catered.

When flying on Sunday mid morning to ORD. After I got my water, the flight attendant came back after service to give me my chocolate (he gave me two ). Then I said ohh I thought you where you going to give me a beer jokingly. He said we do have beer in the back would I like one. I said sure. They only have one kind of beer catered. Laugantias Pale Ale I believe. So I'm not sure if he was being nice to serve me a beer in main cabin, or cause I was a gold. I ended up getting 3 beers during the flight.
When flying back to SEA yesterday. Crew was not nearly as friendly. No Chocolate, got my water. I didn't ask if beer was an option for a gold in main. Thus my question if Golds can get a beer with current service changes?

Sitting way in the back I find, flight attendants do not recognize golds nearly as much as when seated ahead of exit row. And I've gotten a few times... "Why you seated way back here?" Thus, if main cabin is not suppose to get a beer and I ask for one, then they say I'm sorry its bottled water only, then I have to mention even for Golds, then they look at there tablet, and might say ohh yes you get a beer or no, main cabin does not get a beer. Its just a little embarrassing, and I feel like a DYKWIA thing. Thus I generally never ask for a chocolate or drink unless they offer it to me.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by scklumb
My travel has been curtailed greatly, but I'm self employed and I do have clients that still need me. Thus I am still traveling. I have been buying Saver fares, since service has been reduced. Up until recently, service was a canned beverage, for the whole plane. ie. can of soda or beer.

From...
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...ories#inflight
Flights over 350 miles do have beer catered.

When flying on Sunday mid morning to ORD. After I got my water, the flight attendant came back after service to give me my chocolate (he gave me two ). Then I said ohh I thought you where you going to give me a beer jokingly. He said we do have beer in the back would I like one. I said sure. They only have one kind of beer catered. Laugantias Pale Ale I believe. So I'm not sure if he was being nice to serve me a beer in main cabin, or cause I was a gold. I ended up getting 3 beers during the flight.
When flying back to SEA yesterday. Crew was not nearly as friendly. No Chocolate, got my water. I didn't ask if beer was an option for a gold in main. Thus my question if Golds can get a beer with current service changes?

Sitting way in the back I find, flight attendants do not recognize golds nearly as much as when seated ahead of exit row. And I've gotten a few times... "Why you seated way back here?" Thus, if main cabin is not suppose to get a beer and I ask for one, then they say I'm sorry its bottled water only, then I have to mention even for Golds, then they look at there tablet, and might say ohh yes you get a beer or no, main cabin does not get a beer. Its just a little embarrassing, and I feel like a DYKWIA thing. Thus I generally never ask for a chocolate or drink unless they offer it to me.
...if there wasn't a 14 day quarantine in Alaska...

As for sitting in the back, I think overall FA's are genuinely surprised to see pax in the back with status, especially 75K or MM'er status. It has happened to me several times SDC'ing, and generally we're treated well. But it can take a friendly reminder. I have bought one saver fare as well- and concur with aircraft being so wide open, it might be worth the fare difference to book the cheaper flight. Depends on the route and frequency (as no SDC possible, etc with saver).

I have not flown since meal service suspension occurred.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if something like this is coming to AS flights.

https://news.delta.com/bag-new-snack...elta-travelers
AS Flyer and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:07 pm

I wonder if something like this is coming to AS flights.

https://news.delta.com/bag-new-snack...elta-travelers
I know it was being considered, so quite possibly. It's a great interim solution until they can return to offering something more again.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the time being, in F, I would be happy with a unopened can of soda and a sealed (non-plated) fruit and cheese plate (other other sealed, but fresh food item)....seems like a good compromise for now. After all my flights on AS in the F cabin, I'm still waiting for the elusive ice cream that's been around for a few years....lol.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
For the time being, in F, I would be happy with a unopened can of soda and a sealed (non-plated) fruit and cheese plate (other other sealed, but fresh food item).
Reminds me of "Bistro bags" on AA, back in the days when coach passengers still got meals. AA stationed a refrigerated cart outside the gate and you would pick up a package that contained a sandwich with deli meats and chips before boarding. Was a big change for me back in 2001 when I moved from UA to AA as my primary carrier. Certainly something that could work with Alaska rolling a refrigerated cart from gate to gate with the limited flights operating now.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:04 pm

For the time being, in F, I would be happy with a unopened can of soda and a sealed (non-plated) fruit and cheese plate (other other sealed, but fresh food item)....seems like a good compromise for now. After all my flights on AS in the F cabin, I'm still waiting for the elusive ice cream that's been around for a few years....lol.
Not sure what happens down the road but logistics for fruit and cheese plates is fairly difficult at this point. A good majority of the kitchens that AS used, including the largest ones, have closed. Some temporarily, others permanently. Service will come back at some point. It remains to be seen what that looks like, but the service we all knew - I don't know whether that will come back or not. It's so hard to say. Aviation has changed - many things for good and a lot not necessarily for the better.
PDXFlyBoy and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Reminds me of "Bistro bags" on AA, back in the days when coach passengers still got meals. AA stationed a refrigerated cart outside the gate and you would pick up a package that contained a sandwich with deli meats and chips before boarding. Was a big change for me back in 2001 when I moved from UA to AA as my primary carrier. Certainly something that could work with Alaska rolling a refrigerated cart from gate to gate with the limited flights operating now.
Delta had a similar service called the SkyDeli - you would pick up a bag with a sandwich from a cooler in the jetway. The employees called the coolers the deli dumpsters.

Rolling a cart from gate to gate won't work. Alaska would have to likely permanently station a cooler in each jetway in major stations. Hard to know what's going to happen
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Delta had a similar service called the SkyDeli - you would pick up a bag with a sandwich from a cooler in the jetway. The employees called the coolers the deli dumpsters.

Rolling a cart from gate to gate won't work. Alaska would have to likely permanently station a cooler in each jetway in major stations. Hard to know what's going to happen
Lovely term

I hope AS doesn't revert to this- not a fan of cold cuts. If AS 86's all the Airbii, perhaps someday we can bring back hot food in the main cabin? Wishful thinking.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:22 am

How does consumption of food and beverage work if best practices recommend all passengers wear face masks? Do you briefly pull your mask down for a quick sip or bite?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by AS Flyer

DL also used to pull out refrigerated carts with food and drinks for delayed flights.

I've also seen WN put out a folding table with trays of large, unwrapped cookies on it all day, but doubt they would do that in the current situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.