Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Here’s a similar musing: how many times have you seen a FA wash their hands before the meal service? This popped in my head when I noticed a FA wash her hands before serving F.

Though perhaps I don’t want to know this answer.
Many. I'm often in a seat where I can see the FA pop into the loo (often with not closing the door completely) prior to service. I've also seen them put their hands on their faces, hair, and so on, prior to service without any washing.
tusphotog and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:33 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Are FA in Economy and First doing something different for safety in this situation?

I fly a bit, currently on hold, sadly.

I recalled on the last few flight in economy the FA when they came and got trash and such would be wearing gloves, serving naked ( the hands that is, LOL )

In first the FA would serve no gloves, collect trash and cups etc no gloves and often come back afterward for second offerings of drinks and snacks w/o gloves. Do they wash between? I can't recall they go into the restroom between!

When they came by with the snack basket and asked me to pick, thought hard but then said WTH and reached in knowing well enough sitting in 4 that likely 8-12 people already put their grubby hands in the basket. Seems like they should be changing their serving methodology, just saying.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
https://blog.alaskaair.com/coronavir...mployees-safe/

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:52 pm

I'd grade my last flight F to protocol but A for service.

"We’re slightly adjusting our beverage service and will temporarily not be refilling used cups, including in First Class." Not true FA came around with bottle and offered to top off my wine, fail

"Flight attendants may wear gloves during our food and beverage service." they get to chose, do they based on the customer profile, people coughing, or distribution of passenger profile, "F" here, should be consistent!

Also missed is should everyone be allowed to touch the snack basket in first on those flights, seems like a bad idea and not well thought out at all.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I'd grade my last flight F to protocol but A for service.

"We’re slightly adjusting our beverage service and will temporarily not be refilling used cups, including in First Class." Not true FA came around with bottle and offered to top off my wine, fail

"Flight attendants may wear gloves during our food and beverage service." they get to chose, do they based on the customer profile, people coughing, or distribution of passenger profile, "F" here, should be consistent!

Also missed is should everyone be allowed to touch the snack basket in first on those flights, seems like a bad idea and not well thought out at all.
I wouldn't give that an F. Topping off the wine at your seat doesn't allow for any galley cross-contamination. Gloves can be a cesspool of germs. I'd rather be served by clean hands than dirty gloves.

Snack basket? Probably a bad idea as offered. Passenger should choose by looking, FA should place on tray.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I wouldn't give that an F. Topping off the wine at your seat doesn't allow for any galley cross-contamination. Gloves can be a cesspool of germs. I'd rather be served by clean hands than dirty gloves.

Snack basket? Probably a bad idea as offered. Passenger should choose by looking, FA should place on tray.
I stand by my grading "A" for service "F" for safety, community snack dip is an F and nothing else gets that moved, no averaging. Just like life a lot of "A"s can still result in a total fail based on one epic fail. I'd almost say that is the 737Max.

It was personal choice but might have well have done handshakes with everyone that touched the snack tray, dang kind of like my mate seated next to me for some strange reason shook the hands of 4 or 5 passengers in the back, must have been the "boss" not a smart one at that.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:03 pm

I stand by my grading "A" for service "F" for safety, community snack dip is an F and nothing else gets that moved, no averaging. Just like life a lot of "A"s can still result in a total fail based on one epic fail. I'd almost say that is the 737Max.

It was personal choice but might have well have done handshakes with everyone that touched the snack tray, dang kind of like my mate seated next to me for some strange reason shook the hands of 4 or 5 passengers in the back, must have been the "boss" not a smart one at that.
Im curious, when you go to the store in these times how do you select food and then when you get it home what do you do with it? Do you disinfect the packaging of each item before you put it on your shelf? Do you use gloves to open boxes and cans and bags? Im just curious how people touching packaged snack items compromises what's inside? Obviously, it's not optimal and I like Eastbay's suggestion that you identify which items you want and the FA hands them to you - but how is the current process any less safe than when you go shopping now? To that, I can't recall (even now) seeing anyone get up and wash their hands before their meal or snack. They've touched seats, overhead bins, armrests and god knows what else - but no concern about transferring germs that way. I've seen a few use hand sanitizer, but it's rare - even now. How is the snack basket all of a sudden a basket full of germs that shouldn't be offered?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Im curious, when you go to the store in these times how do you select food and then when you get it home what do you do with it? Do you disinfect the packaging of each item before you put it on your shelf? Do you use gloves to open boxes and cans and bags? Im just curious how people touching packaged snack items compromises what's inside? Obviously, it's not optimal and I like Eastbay's suggestion that you identify which items you want and the FA hands them to you - but how is the current process any less safe than when you go shopping now? To that, I can't recall (even now) seeing anyone get up and wash their hands before their meal or snack. They've touched seats, overhead bins, armrests and god knows what else - but no concern about transferring germs that way. I've seen a few use hand sanitizer, but it's rare - even now. How is the snack basket all of a sudden a basket full of germs that shouldn't be offered?
How I manage my risk is a different discussion than how and what Alaska should do to protect their customers on the flight?

For the later, I'd say the FA should server by asking what we want and then give to us, versus let us choose. When picking up trash or handling our glass wear, wear gloves and take off when they flip back to serving us. It shouldn't be "optional" it should be procedure and required. One can debate if it would be effective, but every little they do can help minimize risk. On a plane there is no ability to self isolate or keep a safe social distance, but do what you can, versus be cavalier. What is there to debate about their protocol.

I will make my personal choices about risk as well at home, but that is beyond the scope what happens on the flight, LOL

Last edited by chipmaster; Mar 14, 2020 at 4:11 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:48 pm

How I manage my risk is a different discussion than how and what Alaska should do to protect their customers on the flight?

For the later, I'd say the FA should server by asking what we want and then give to us, versus let us choose. When picking up trash or handling our glass wear, wear gloves and take off when they flip back to serving us. It shouldn't be "optional" it should be procedure and required. One can debate if it would be effective, but every little they do can help minimize risk. On a plane there is no ability to self isolate or keep a safe social distance, but do what you can, versus be cavalier. What is there to debate about their protocol.

I will make my personal choices about risk as well at home, but that is beyond the scope what happens on the flight, LOL
Okay - then how about stores - should you be allowed to pick your own merchandise off the shelf or is it okay for lots of people to touch it before you decide to take it home? Is a grocery store a great big F because they allow people to reach for their own items? I don't disagree that FA's could (and probably should) ask what you want and hand it to you - but if you shop at a grocery store and are cool with that, what's the big difference between that and people touching items in the snack basket? Not much different at all.

As far as wearing gloves to pick up then change out gloves to serve then change out gloves to pick up then change out gloves to serve.... honestly, the only solution really is to discontinue food and beverage service until this is figured out. That whole process is just asking for people with dirty gloves to make mistakes that will again render them an F score in your book. Soap and water are your friend - absent that, a good hand sanitizer and some vigorous rubbing will do the trick. People serving food should have been using one or both of these options already anyway.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Blue plastic trays with branded paper liner today on FLL-LAX. I’m not sure if this is a COVID related change or not.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:44 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Onboard service reductions

From a recent email:

How to prepare for reduced service levels on board.

We know this can be a stressful time to travel. At Alaska Airlines, we are doing everything possible to keep you safe.

In response to CDC social distancing guidelines, we are reducing the onboard service level for your upcoming trip. Food and beverage offerings will include water and a limited selection of canned sodas and juices. We will temporarily stop serving hot beverages, orange juice, and alcoholic beverages. For flights under 250 miles, all beverage service will be suspended. We recommend that you bring a personal water bottle to fill after passing through the TSA checkpoint.

Food service on board has also been temporarily suspended, aside from a small packaged snack. Unfortunately, we will not be able to fulfill any meals that have been pre-ordered. Plan ahead by packing a snack or picking up something to eat at the airport.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you during your trip. As always, the safety of our guests and our employees is our number one priority.

For the most up-to-date travel information, check our travel advisories.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by _fx
We will temporarily stop serving hot beverages, orange juice, and alcoholic beverages
Well, I just cancelled my remaining flights. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Bummer about the booze, but overall reducing transmission and handling of materials is a good call, particularly on those really short flights.

I expect lounge service closures might be next? Maybe keep the lounge open to increase social distancing, but remove/reduce offerings.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: Continental
So 5-6 hrs no food, wonderful.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
We knew it was coming, but still, yikes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.