Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Service Changes Due to COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
JFK > SFO today, AS 627, (Observing from Prem Econ), no hot towels, but the flight attendant took around a large bottle of hand sanitizer and gave everyone in FC a couple pumps-worth before takeoff if they wanted. Sounded like that was her own idea vs. new SOPs. Rock on, Elise.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
The Bloody Mary refills were flowing on my flight but the FA would take away the glass, so not sure if it was a refill or a new glass each time
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
The Bloody Mary refills were flowing on my flight but the FA would take away the glass, so not sure if it was a refill or a new glass each time
Well, either the vodka or the sodium in that mix is bound to kill whatever germs are in/on that glass.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, either the vodka or the sodium in that mix is bound to kill whatever germs are in/on that glass.
How much vodka or sodium do you usually get on the *outside* of the glass?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Digiplayer bites the dust?

I was told on my flight JFK-PDX that Digiplayer has been discontinued due to COVID19. This is the first time I've heard this. No confirmation yet from blog but in the interim, time to bring onboard ipad devices.

Jiburi
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:10 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
People can debate the changes, but let's not lose sight they have a business to run and somebody is doing a review of all their practices and suggesting changes from both a health and legal risk point of view.

I did notice my coffee was served in a disposable cup, funny the FA offered the standard basket of goodies for each of us to pick as well as collected the trash w/o gloves, go figure that sounds crazy, and I picked something, OMG!

I can't comment about how effective they are, but come now, things are spinning out of hand how can you blame the airlines to moving to an "abundance of caution" position? Darn even I moved to a window seat and hate window seats and look what happened to me in an abundance of caution move, LOL

Last edited by chipmaster; Mar 9, 2020 at 2:37 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
... and I picked something, OMG!
So long as it wasn't your nose, I think it is all good.
jjmadison and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:44 pm

Flew Southwest and the FAs were all wearing gloves. On way back flew Alaska and they weren't - made me feel a bit concerned for the FA's exposure. Why aren't alaska flight attendants wearing gloves (for their own safety)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Flew Southwest and the FAs were all wearing gloves. On way back flew Alaska and they weren't - made me feel a bit concerned for the FA's exposure. Why aren't alaska flight attendants wearing gloves (for their own safety)
If they are wearing gloves, and touch their faces with their gloves, they are far worse off than thoroughly washing/sanitizing their bare hands and not touching their faces.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:57 pm

wearing gloves throughout the flight is counter productive. If it were a good idea and kept germs and Covid 19 at bay it would be a great idea but people will be touching all kinds of surfaces with the gloves then serving guests with those same hands. That, coupled with Eastbay1K's point, begs the question, how does that help anyone? It's window dressing - that's it.
Finkface likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:25 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Wearing of gloves like wearing of masks can be symbolic to others or simply a reminder to yourself. Consistency is following SOP might be more important. Handling garbage with gloves and food/drinks with bare hands can lead symbolic comfort to the difference between clean and dirty, we of course no reality is totally something else, LOL
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
They may not have been wearing them on your flight but they have on most (not all) of the 7 flights I was on last week. I didn't see any of the FAs changing their gloves; take that as you may.

James
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi
I was told on my flight JFK-PDX that Digiplayer has been discontinued due to COVID19. This is the first time I've heard this. No confirmation yet from blog but in the interim, time to bring onboard ipad devices.

Jiburi
Digiplayers distributed today, MCO-SEA
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If they are wearing gloves, and touch their faces with their gloves, they are far worse off than thoroughly washing/sanitizing their bare hands and not touching their faces.
Here’s a similar musing: how many times have you seen a FA wash their hands before the meal service? This popped in my head when I noticed a FA wash her hands before serving F.

Though perhaps I don’t want to know this answer.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Here’s a similar musing: how many times have you seen a FA wash their hands before the meal service? This popped in my head when I noticed a FA wash her hands before serving F.

Though perhaps I don’t want to know this answer.
Soooooo... I tend to get on the plane and either pay attention to what's out the window or what I'm doing on my laptop. Do FAs customarily wash their hands in the view of passengers? I would assume the most convenient source of running water is in the lav? In other words, I can't recall a single instance of seeing an FA wash their hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.