Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:11 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Click the link I posted. It specifically says that the Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard does not get you into partner lounges.
Please read your own link. The restriction applies to authorized users, not the primary cardholder.

For clarity:
Originally Posted by Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard Pricing Information and Additional Details
Only Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite TM Mastercard® primary cardmembers who are eighteen (18) years of age or older will receive full membership access privileges to Admirals Club® lounges. An Authorized User of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite TM Mastercard® who is eighteen (18) years of age or older will receive access privileges to American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges. Full Admirals Club® membership privileges do not apply to an Authorized User. An Admirals Club® membership includes access to other airline lounges and clubs with which American Airlines may have reciprocal lounge or club access privileges.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
Please read your own link. The restriction applies to authorized users, not the primary cardholder.

For clarity:
Well ...., not sure how I managed to read that multiple times and then even go through the trouble of posting that screenshot with the highlighted text and STILL manage to glaze over the bit about authorized users. My bad.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
The Citi/AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard includes an Admirals Club membership, which grants access to Alaska Lounges.
Absolutely, it does! 95% of my flying is on AS or AS partners. I have the Executive Worl Elite Mastercard and use the Admirals Club membership to access all the Alaska Lounges with my guests. My authourized users can access AC Lounges but not the AL. The best part is being able to access the Admirals Club at SFO regardless of which airline I am flying or have flown. Yes, I use it in SFO on arrivals to.

I hope that every traveler who posts here about their displeasure with AL access through PP has, beforehand, sent a similar comment to PP expressing the same displeasure. Posting on the AS forum will not effect change and generally be received as an opportunity to suggest cheese to go with your Whine. If you don't also advise PP who can effect change or enhance your benefits with other options then you have really wasted your own time. The childish sny remarks and the armchair CEO analysts are at least somewhat entertaining with their useless contributions.

James

EDIT: How funny! I just contradicted myself. If the sny remarks and analysts are somewhat entertaining then in hindsight I guess they are not useless. I stand corrected.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
8/17 PDX - lounge had the sign out at 11am, looked 70-80% full. No sign when I came by again at noon, much quieter and about 1/3 occupied. Didn’t really matter either way due to flying paid F, but thought it was worth noting. This has been a good run for me this past month: 4 out of 4 in SEA and PDX lounges.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
8/25 10am, sign out and all three lounges are full for a day pass. Not entirely surprising given IRROPs this morning.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Calculon
8/17 PDX - lounge had the sign out at 11am, looked 70-80% full. No sign when I came by again at noon, much quieter and about 1/3 occupied. Didn’t really matter either way due to flying paid F, but thought it was worth noting. This has been a good run for me this past month: 4 out of 4 in SEA and PDX lounges.
I'm surprised the PDX lounge was open around noon....are they actually moving the sign in and out throughout the day?? *gasp*
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The singular reason given by AS for denying PP entry is due to lounge occupancy issues, but there are way too many reports of half empty lounges with the sign out for this to be the only reason for the issue they're having with PP....for whatever reason, it's obvious they don't want to be apart of the PP program and that's their decision, but I think they need to just pull the band-aid off and be done with it. Perhaps their thinking is that if lounges are empty, it will create a better sense of solitude for their members and they'll make up for lost PP revenue with more memberships (although personally, I think this is going to end up being a money losing deal, but for their sake, hopefully not).
I wish Alaska focused more on making their first class product better in the air. Better food, satellite wifi, lie flat for long routes, etc. Personally Alaska feels like a glorified comfort+ product by most other airline standards.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm surprised the PDX lounge was open around noon....are they actually moving the sign in and out throughout the day?? *gasp*
Yes, of course they are. It's a part of their job. Reality is far simpler than a conspiracy theory to deprive you of Holiday Inn Express pancakes.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, of course they are. It's a part of their job. Reality is far simpler than a conspiracy theory to deprive you of Holiday Inn Express pancakes.
Yeah, but when you show up at an Alaska lounge that's half empty and there's a sign up barring PP entry, you're going to get pretty annoyed. It's not a conspiracy, but it's certainly a "variable policy." As I said before, I think they should leave PP or be kicked out. Unpredictable lounge access is worth little, and just leads to unhappiness.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:22 am

8/26: Walked by N gate lounge just before 8am and the sign was out. I do wonder if, given the proximity of the exit, the sign is just perpetually out now. Guess we will see on Tuesday during return trip.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
No problem getting in the PDX lounge this morning. Surprising, because it was packed inside. Only a couple of empty seats.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, but when you show up at an Alaska lounge that's half empty and there's a sign up barring PP entry, you're going to get pretty annoyed. It's not a conspiracy, but it's certainly a "variable policy." As I said before, I think they should leave PP or be kicked out. Unpredictable lounge access is worth little, and just leads to unhappiness.
Your complaint is with Priority Pass, as predictable lounge access is available to those willing to pay for it.

And with the use of some grey matter, those “but the lounge was half empty” moments probably have reasonable explanations.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your complaint is with Priority Pass, as predictable lounge access is available to those willing to pay for it.

And with the use of some grey matter, those “but the lounge was half empty” moments probably have reasonable explanations.
Right, "my problem" IS primarily with Priority Pass, in the sense that they should remove unreliable partners like Alaska. It's one thing to set hours -- like specifically barring usage from, say, 4 to 7 pm every day (some foreign airline lounges do this for peak periods). That's PREDICTABLE. It's another thing to bar PP members at the whim of the lounge matron. BTW, you're asserting that there's a "reasonable explanation" for empty lounges to have "no entry" signs flies in the face of what people (like me) have observed AND common sense. You simply can't rely on semi-skilled lounge staff to adequately monitor lounge usage and access. They're not being paid to do that. It would be like expecting your first class flight attendant to be an expert on their airline's wine selection. Maybe they should be. But they won't be.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Right, "my problem" IS primarily with Priority Pass, in the sense that they should remove unreliable partners like Alaska. It's one thing to set hours -- like specifically barring usage from, say, 4 to 7 pm every day (some foreign airline lounges do this for peak periods). That's PREDICTABLE. It's another thing to bar PP members at the whim of the lounge matron. BTW, you're asserting that there's a "reasonable explanation" for empty lounges to have "no entry" signs flies in the face of what people (like me) have observed AND common sense. You simply can't rely on semi-skilled lounge staff to adequately monitor lounge usage and access. They're not being paid to do that. It would be like expecting your first class flight attendant to be an expert on their airline's wine selection. Maybe they should be. But they won't be.
Well said....quite a few lounges limit PP access during peak hours, but, as you said, those hours are posted which avoids disappointment and allows PP users to plan their lounge visits more efficiently instead of wondering if the person that happens to be in charge of "the sign" decides to put the sign out or not....that's the frustrating part.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Finkface
No problem getting in the PDX lounge this morning. Surprising, because it was packed inside. Only a couple of empty seats.
Don't you love the consistency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.