Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Happy
It still is a $150 net fee card. Even it earns 3x on travel and dining, it means you would need to spend $5000 in those categories to just break even - i.e. fill the hole of the $150 as versus a 2% cash rebate no fee card, the same $5000 spend earns you a cold hard cash of $100. But you are just break even with your CSR.

I am surprised so many think that $300 travel credit as a nice perk... This just goes to show how smart the marketing is - to make you forget about the annual fee is quite high - it can be justified with the OTHER REAL PERKS, such as the 1.5 redemption rate when used to book travel, AND the lounge access including unlimited guests, the primary car insurance, travel interruption etc etc

Those are REAL Perks a cardholder should look at, and justify the fee paid should s/he actually use those perks.

One other thing - the 1.5 travel redemption has a major drawback because if you use it to book hotels you LOSE the hotel stay credit and the elite benefits - so that extra saving is not as high as it is on paper - because a free breakfast, or a lounge access, often costs the same as the saving if not more, in expensive cities.

Another thing on the travel redemption is, UR site could only show the cheapest, "basic economy" type of fares - this can be a serious trap if one is not aware the implication. To illustrate - I was looking at some intra-EU SAS flights - UR site can book it, but at the "Go Light" fare only. That does not offer one free checked bag, and the carry-on is restricted to 8kg only.
If you go one step up the fare on SAS site that includes 1 23kg checked bag, the difference is only $18. However if you buy the "Go Light" and buy the checked bag separately, the fee is $25. On UR site, the only fares available are the "Go Light" - and you would be out $35 even on your 21" carry-on unless you magically could keep it under 8kg!

All these perks look very good on paper, but in reality, as we see it now in the AS BR situation, are not really as nice as we are led to believe.

I would say if the PP becomes worth-less, much less, the $150 net AF is not cheap at all because other perks all have some kinds of "buyer beware" type of draw back, even the primary rental car insurance and the purchase protection. (Very annoying experiences dealing with Chase version versus AMEX version).
I agree there are a lot of factors that go into making it worth it or not. But, in my case, I make at least 1 reservation for SilverCar each year (if past two to three years is any indication). Usually that's four to five days long in LA. Normally that's roughly $400 after tax/fee, with the VISA Infinite perk via the CSR that is 30% off which drops it to $281.74 after tax/fee. That's $119 savings right there which brings that AF down to $31/year :P

That's also before the $1500 worth of bonus points (if used via their travel portal) comes into play. So my break even point is safe for at least a couple years as long as I use that $300 travel credit before the annual fees catch up to me :P
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
The Citi/AA lounge reimbursement terms are different than PP. Think payment in kind.
They still pay. Just like AMEX pays DL.

Not sure what the rates rates are, but they pay in some way or another.

Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
Yeah, that thought came to my mind as well. Penny wise, pound foolish if the $17-20 cost per visit is accurate.
Yeah, and you've seen from this thread, that some AMEX holders will just use Centurion (which is expanding) and others will choose DL for their next trip and visit the SC. So they're not only throwing out $20 in PP revenue, they're also losing out on future PP revenue and future ticket sales.

My next SEA trip, if I end up at an N gate, should I schlep out to N to be near by gates and risk being turned away and having to trek back, or just go to the Centurion where I know I can get in, and leave early enough for the gate?

Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
My Citi Prestige card loses Admirals Club access in a couple of months anyway, so this is my hedge for that as well. In two years, I strongly suspect that Citi Prestige made zero money on me.

Citi also gets transaction revenue as you use the card, so there's that there. It's a bit more complicated to figure out the economics.

But yeah, if you maximized the travel credit, lots of AA visits, the PP, and even used some 4th nights free in expensive 4th night stays (we did Mardi Gras in Rio for that), then it's possible they lost some money on you.

We plan to cancel ours when the fee hits because the AA lounge issue. Never even used the GE because it was covered elsewhere.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by channa
They still pay. Just like AMEX pays DL.

Not sure what the rates rates are, but they pay in some way or another.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a per-swipe charge and if any hard dollars are paid, they are as part of Citi's larger partnership with AA.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
But yeah, if you maximized the travel credit, lots of AA visits, the PP, and even used some 4th nights free in expensive 4th night stays (we did Mardi Gras in Rio for that), then it's possible they lost some money on you.

We plan to cancel ours when the fee hits because the AA lounge issue. Never even used the GE because it was covered elsewhere.
Two years of AC and AL access for $900 minus 3 travel credits? Add in a couple of 4th night frees, and the initial signup bonus, and I've more than broken even.

I'll be cancelling the Prestige as well as a result of losing AC access.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:24 am

Another data point:
Priority Pass member
Denied entry into the club at Boston Logan terminal C at 7:30pm for capacity reasons (although we saw non-pp people enter while we were standing there).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kantscholar
Another data point:
Priority Pass member
Denied entry into the club at Boston Logan terminal C at 7:30pm for capacity reasons (although we saw non-pp people enter while we were standing there).
Air France ?

They do have some funky sushiesque offerings- but a bit of a trek from the AS gates (and get to reclear TSA too)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Lately I typically stop by the N BR if I'm arriving or departing from N. But just for a minute - check out the soup and what's on tap.

I spend most of my time in the AMEX CL as they typically have more substantial food offerings. Yes the AMEX lounge has been packed to the gills, and there are reports of being turned away in SEA.

I imagine with the C concourse BR opening up in May this will alleviate crowding some. But there will still be peak time issues, and one may need to lounge hop to find room. And the AMEX CL expansion will offer a shower and a bar, so this may draw more customers as well away from the BR for those with dual access.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Looks like the PP crowd is only getting larger with US Amex Plat now also offering free guest access.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...fee-550-a.html
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
So.. When's ASBR gonna drop PP?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Looks like the PP crowd is only getting larger with US Amex Plat now also offering free guest access.

On the other hand, the higher fee may cull the herd a bit.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dayone
On the other hand, the higher fee may cull the herd a bit.
True. On the other hand, existing members will get the benefits right away (?) but only have to pay the higher fee at renewal after Sept 1. So in my case in Jan of next year.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Unhappy

True. On the other hand, existing members will get the benefits right away (?) but only have to pay the higher fee at renewal after Sept 1. So in my case in Jan of next year.
Based on current state of rejecting PP members. Won't matter anyway....

Have to be allowed in, to guest someone in.... Or do you?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck

The AMEX Plat Charge card has been offering PP since I've had it (3 years)... and I'm sure before that too.

There's no change.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by berliner5000
The AMEX Plat Charge card has been offering PP since I've had it (3 years)... and I'm sure before that too.

There's no change.
I think they are saying it now includes a free guest.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by Baze
I think they are saying it now includes a free guest.
I would say "SCORE!", but let's be real... this isn't going to help me at the Boardroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.