Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Nice professional sign. Looks like something that's designed to last.
Looks like a sign that won't be used much longer when they sever ties with PP
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hiima
Looks like a sign that won't be used much longer when they sever ties with PP
Why would they (AS) sever ties? As long as they can sell extra capacity, there is little reason to do that. With this nice sign, they don't even have to explain it individually to PP members anymore.

PP might do it if they get enough complaints, but even they probably only listen to money... and they get it from Chase/Citi/Amex, not you and me.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:55 am

Why would they (AS) sever ties? As long as they can sell extra capacity, there is little reason to do that. With this nice sign, they don't even have to explain it individually to PP members anymore.

PP might do it if they get enough complaints, but even they probably only listen to money... and they get it from Chase/Citi/Amex, not you and me.
We complain to AS and to PP about this constant sign. At some point the complaining and bad PR via social media posts or travel blogs will force one of them to make their mind up and either walk away from the partnership or renegotiate to make the availability better/more consistent/clear.

That's why it helps to complain to/about AS. They don't want their product looking bad to the public. I'm sure there are lots of people that don't understand the exact circumstances on PP and access, but if they constantly see people posting about being turned away at a AS lounge, especially if it mentions the lounge looked fairly empty at the time, then it makes AS look bad. We're the "elite nerds" that understand all this stuff... the more casual person that's just asking about lounge access because they've recently heard about them or started traveling a lot will take a more course view of all the details, and see it more in "good recommendations or bad recommendations".
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I don't want them to dump PP. I am hoping they will make good on their promise to let PP'ers back in consistently once the C lounge is open.

Let's given them a chance to make good on that first (as far as SEA is concerned). As for PDX, well that is another issue.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If we assume that the banks created too many PP members by offering enticing credit cards, it seems to me that those of us who got those cards really have no beef complaining about it because we jumped on those offers.

In an ideal (mythical) world, PP's lounge capacity would be elastic and adapt to the increase in PP members. But in the real world that doesn't happen. Lounges don't get built or expanded overnight. Should Chase & Co have turned down applicants for their high-end cards after reaching a certain threshold?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
If we assume that the banks created too many PP members by offering enticing credit cards, it seems to me that those of us who got those cards really have no beef complaining about it because we jumped on those offers.

In an ideal (mythical) world, PP's lounge capacity would be elastic and adapt to the increase in PP members. But in the real world that doesn't happen. Lounges don't get built or expanded overnight. Should Chase & Co have turned down applicants for their high-end cards after reaching a certain threshold?
Is there a point at which airlines stop over-selling flights? Or should we just let them sell as many tickets as possible and see how it shakes out? Sorry, I don't buy this "people who signed up for a deal under the auspices of some benefit shouldn't complain that they can't get that benefit because a bunch of other people took advantage of the deal too" logic -- that's absurd.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Is there a point at which airlines stop over-selling flights? Or should we just let them sell as many tickets as possible and see how it shakes out? Sorry, I don't buy this "people who signed up for a deal under the auspices of some benefit shouldn't complain that they can't get that benefit because a bunch of other people took advantage of the deal too" logic -- that's absurd.
Well, there's a bit of difference between overselling aircraft and overselling lounge access.

Airlines are encouraged by fines to minimize (optimize) actual oversell situations. Do you want regulations for lounge access? If AS doesn't let you in, PP has to give you $20 for food/drink at an airport restaurant?

What's your solution?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Well, there's a bit of difference between overselling aircraft and overselling lounge access.

Airlines are encouraged by fines to minimize (optimize) actual oversell situations. Do you want regulations for lounge access? If AS doesn't let you in, PP has to give you $20 for food/drink at an airport restaurant?

What's your solution?
Generally at PDX, I want to stop by in the morning for a quick bite to eat and cup of coffee in a to-go cup....if there were no where to sit, I'd probably use the bathroom, grab my coffee, and go....so if it's THAT crowded (and at PDX, I've never once had trouble finding a place to sit), at least let us grab a coffee and be on our way. The AMEX lounge in SEA gives out Starbucks gift cards when they are too crowded and must deny entry....that's when I actually hope they deny me entry to the lounge ^
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$5 SBucks card in exchange for a quick PP swipe? Sounds like a win-win for both AS and myself in many cases. PP themselves might not like that plan, though.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:43 pm

What's your solution?
I would be happier with just restricted hours for priority pass rather than putting a sign up. At least then I would know not to try and to go to the
Amex lounge or get in line at Starbucks etc, if I was there during peak hours. The Air France lounge at IAD restricted their priority pass hours so that it is now useless for the AS flight but at least I know not to slog over there.
Another solution would be that AS could break ties with Priority Pass and up their food offerings and then I would probably buy a membership but as it is now a crowded lounge with bad food is not worth it to me.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:59 pm

Chase and co could have negotiated directly with lounge owners if PP as a whole was too crowded. They could have offered their customers once a year you pick if you get into Delta Sky Clubs, AS Lounge, United, or AA. Then pay directly to whichever airline you picked. Sure that limits our options some and we have to plan a head how we use that perk, but I suspect a lot more customers would be happy knowing they could pick their lounge and always get in etc.

Heck, customers might actually even be more happy if they offered a separate $250 credit or something for any lounge membership that was bought. I don't know what the PP agreement actually costs the card issuer but at least that would turn a very frequently unusable product into a nice perk that just always works. It also would allow the lounge owners to get more of an idea just how much capacity they might have to deal with...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acarney
Chase and co could have negotiated directly with lounge owners if PP as a whole was too crowded. They could have offered their customers once a year you pick if you get into Delta Sky Clubs, AS Lounge, United, or AA. Then pay directly to whichever airline you picked. Sure that limits our options some and we have to plan a head how we use that perk, but I suspect a lot more customers would be happy knowing they could pick their lounge and always get in etc.
They did that. It's called

- UA Club Visa (Chase)
- AA Executive Elite Visa (Citi)
- Delta something-or-another Amex (Amex)

(There is a thread somewhere discussing the lack of such a card for AS)

You can also use the $300 Tavel credit to buy yourself a membership of your choice for a significant discount with the CSR ($200 with Amex Plat), in addition to broader PP access.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They did that. It's called

- UA Club Visa (Chase)
- AA Executive Elite Visa (Citi)
- Delta something-or-another Amex (Amex)

(There is a thread somewhere discussing the lack of such a card for AS)

You can also use the $300 Tavel credit to buy yourself a membership of your choice for a significant discount with the CSR ($200 with Amex Plat), in addition to broader PP access.
Is a lounge membership considered a travel expense for the $300 credit? I read through the terms and it says any charge that posts in the travel category but doesn't specify. I interpret it to be whatever the merchant codes it as. Don't know if lounge membership would fall under travel category.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
Is a lounge membership considered a travel expense for the $300 credit? I read through the terms and it says any charge that posts in the travel category but doesn't specify. I interpret it to be whatever the merchant codes it as. Don't know if lounge membership would fall under travel category.
I would think so, but it really doesn't matter. Buy the membership and if it doesn't get reimbursed, use the credit card rebate to effectively get that money back on some other travel spend you'd have anyway. E.g. with my CSR I don't really care which travel items get reimbursed. And with my Plat I got $200 in UA travel credit that I know I will use, so it is as good as Amex handing me $200 cash at the beginning of the year.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Mar 10, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Baze
Yes it does cont

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.