Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by acarney
That won't help this same issue at PDX though... if it was just a SEA issue then I would tend to lean toward your thinking on it is possibly just a short term issue... but with PDX seeing a lot of "Not today...." that makes it seem more like a network wide issue...
I agree...I think it's a network issue, especially since it's been affecting LAX as well.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

That won't help this same issue at PDX though... if it was just a SEA issue then I would tend to lean toward your thinking on it is possibly just a short term issue... but with PDX seeing a lot of "Not today...." that makes it seem more like a network wide issue...
You may be right. As I said, we'll know more after the C Lounge opens.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
You may be right. As I said, we'll know more after the C Lounge opens.
The C lounge you reference is at SEA, right? Or is PDX getting a second location?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:43 pm

The C lounge you reference is at SEA, right? Or is PDX getting a second location?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...boardroom.html
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by channa
So they've given up what, $1,000 of revenue for 300 bucks? LOL
If this is true, how does the economics of Priority Pass work? If just your usage of the AL was worth $1k to AS, then how is PP making any money? Did the membership to PP cost significantly more than $1k to make it worthwhile?

With the $399 pass, then it cost at least $601 for you to be a member. Something can't add up about how that works.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:15 pm

Not that it makes a big difference to the discussion, but my belief (perhaps dated) was that PP pays just under $20 per AL visit, maybe $17-$19.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by lg20
If this is true, how does the economics of Priority Pass work? If just your usage of the AL was worth $1k to AS, then how is PP making any money? Did the membership to PP cost significantly more than $1k to make it worthwhile?

With the $399 pass, then it cost at least $601 for you to be a member. Something can't add up about how that works.

Presumably not everyone uses it that much. So they make money on some, and lose on some. Just like the big eater at the buffet is not the ideal customer, most customers don't eat like that.

Especially with the credit cards that pay a flat fee to PP for it, since the customer isn't paying the annual fee, many don't use it much, if at all (e.g., you're more likely to use it if you pay the $399). Similarly, there are people who buy the $99 membership with zero entries, and pay $27 per entry.

Also, the guest fee is $27, so if you bring in guests, there may be a built-in profit there on the guest upsell.

And, the Club at XXX locations, I believe those are PP-owned, so their use costs may be lower. Plus, they sell day passes and make money there, and those locations are often contract lounges for carriers, so they make money on those visits as well, and who knows what their agreement is with those carriers -- if it's enough to run the lounge, maybe everything else is gravy.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by lg20

I made up for it. I went to the PDX AS lounge twice last year because I couldn't bring a guest when traveling with my wife (Amex rules; now I have a CSR); in SEA we go to the Cent lounge. I think i also went to the PP club in LHR, which was completely packed and there wasn't a single seat, so they collected my $xx and I was back out in two minutes (come to think of it, I should probably have complained to PP).
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:58 am

2/26/17 SEA N Alaska Boardroom 6PM Sunday PP denied
2/26/17 SEA N Alaska Boardroom 6:45PM Sunday PP denied again

We went to the Alaska Boardroom first at 6pm. We were told there were space issues (the sign was posted outside as well) so the lounge could not admit anyone with a Priority Pass. But there were plenty of empty seats in the lounge. My husband booked a later flight and was told to come back in 45 minutes and check it out again. He went back, and was denied entry again. He is an Alaska MVP Gold member.

We were frustrated--we could have booked Delta, which is next to a Centurion Lounge...instead we booked Alaska. Lesson learned.

I reached out to Priority Pass, Alaska, and Citi Prestige. All were sorry for the inconvenience but it seems nothing is going to change. I asked Alaska about how full a lounge has to be before they'll turn people away. The representative didn't have an answer. I also asked if they have certain time/day for Priority Pass members to avoid. Again, no answer.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alaskat
2/26/17 SEA N Alaska Boardroom 6PM Sunday PP denied
2/26/17 SEA N Alaska Boardroom 6:45PM Sunday PP denied again

We went to the Alaska Boardroom first at 6pm. We were told there were space issues (the sign was posted outside as well) so the lounge could not admit anyone with a Priority Pass. But there were plenty of empty seats in the lounge. My husband booked a later flight and was told to come back in 45 minutes and check it out again. He went back, and was denied entry again. He is an Alaska MVP Gold member.

We were frustrated--we could have booked Delta, which is next to a Centurion Lounge...instead we booked Alaska. Lesson learned.

I reached out to Priority Pass, Alaska, and Citi Prestige. All were sorry for the inconvenience but it seems nothing is going to change. I asked Alaska about how full a lounge has to be before they'll turn people away. The representative didn't have an answer. I also asked if they have certain time/day for Priority Pass members to avoid. Again, no answer.
I don't know so am asking, can you see in the lounge from the desk to see all the empty seats?

AS status doesn't have anything to do with getting into the lounge, PP member or not, so not sure why you felt saying that was relevant. And not going to fly AS anymore (lesson learned?) because you couldn't get into a lounge on a non AS pass that even says capacity constraints may apply? I don't get that thinking? Just because there may be visible seats available, maybe there are departing flights coming up that lots of paid F passengers and members like to use the lounge and it would fill up. If I were a paid F passenger or a lounge member and lounge had lots of PP people inside so there wasn't room for me I would be upset. PP members should be at the bottom of the totem pole for access.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
I don't know so am asking, can you see in the lounge from the desk to see all the empty seats?

AS status doesn't have anything to do with getting into the lounge, PP member or not, so not sure why you felt saying that was relevant. And not going to fly AS anymore (lesson learned?) because you couldn't get into a lounge on a non AS pass that even says capacity constraints may apply? I don't get that thinking? Just because there may be visible seats available, maybe there are departing flights coming up that lots of paid F passengers and members like to use the lounge and it would fill up. If I were a paid F passenger or a lounge member and lounge had lots of PP people inside so there wasn't room for me I would be upset. PP members should be at the bottom of the totem pole for access.
Lesson learned is, the poster could have booked DL presumably very similar pricing, thus departing from different area so they can use the Centurion lounge instead of the frustrating situation they encountered at AS BR. While she did not understand AS status did not have anything to do with lounge access, I believe most reading her post could see the frustration because "capacity control" has become a too convenient excuse to refuse PP cardholders. If AS wants to terminate the PP relationship, do it with a more "open" way - just terminate the relationship. Based on what has been dragged on between AS and DL, chances are, such PP-unfriendly policy would continue until no PP cardholder would even bother to try.

Very basic thought process to understand the frustration the poster experienced. There is no need to illicit a bunch of your rhetoric questions.

Everyone knows PP is at the bottom of totem pole in the AS lounge access due to the capacity control clause which can be applied whether it is real or fabricated.
The poster just voiced her frustration and note to herself - that people DO have options in choosing which airlines to fly - lounge access can be a very legitimate reason to some.
Hence such a bunch of rhetoric questions are silly, to say the least.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Lesson learned is, the poster could have booked DL presumably very similar pricing, thus departing from different area so they can use the Centurion lounge instead of the frustrating situation they encountered at AS BR. While she did not understand AS status did not have anything to do with lounge access, I believe most reading her post could see the frustration because "capacity control" has become a too convenient excuse to refuse PP cardholders. If AS wants to terminate the PP relationship, do it with a more "open" way - just terminate the relationship. Based on what has been dragged on between AS and DL, chances are, such PP-unfriendly policy would continue until no PP cardholder would even bother to try.

Very basic thought process to understand the frustration the poster experienced. There is no need to illicit a bunch of your rhetoric questions.

Everyone knows PP is at the bottom of totem pole in the AS lounge access due to the capacity control clause which can be applied whether it is real or fabricated.
The poster just voiced her frustration and note to herself - that people DO have options in choosing which airlines to fly - lounge access can be a very legitimate reason to some.
Hence such a bunch of rhetoric questions are silly, to say the least.
Ok, whatever.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
Ok I have a different perspective ....IF AS chose to enter into a relationship with PP then why in the world would a PP holder be on the bottom of the totem pole for access? Other airlines have refused or cancelled their relationship with PP so AS could or maybe they like the revenue stream?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:09 pm

Add me to the list of "Could fly Delta instead...."

I like Alaska more, BUT, if a Delta flight is available for about the same price and close to the same time then with my Amex Plat card I can get into the Delta lounge, which from what I understand is now amazing at SEA. In Alaska's backyard people are starting to pick Delta with everything else being equal. Do I think this will kill Alaska, not, not at all. BUT, they might see slower growth year over year or a slightly lower % of filled seats on their flights.

If they killed their membership with priority pass then that would be one thing, people wouldn't expect that benefit to be around. Two things would happen, people would either get a full Alaska lounge membership if they wanted in, and priority pass might review their partnerships and try to bring in another lounge.

But right for me, fly Alaska for ~$198/round trip with a VERY big chance of being sent away from the lounge, or fly Delta for ~$198-$210 (depending if I want comfort plus or not) and earn SPG points and have access to both Amex lounge and Delta lounge with my Amex Plat card....
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Add me to the list of "Could fly Delta instead...."

I like Alaska more, BUT, if a Delta flight is available for about the same price and close to the same time then with my Amex Plat card I can get into the Delta lounge, which from what I understand is now amazing at SEA. In Alaska's backyard people are starting to pick Delta with everything else being equal. Do I think this will kill Alaska, not, not at all. BUT, they might see slower growth year over year or a slightly lower % of filled seats on their flights.

If they killed their membership with priority pass then that would be one thing, people wouldn't expect that benefit to be around. Two things would happen, people would either get a full Alaska lounge membership if they wanted in, and priority pass might review their partnerships and try to bring in another lounge.

But right for me, fly Alaska for ~$198/round trip with a VERY big chance of being sent away from the lounge, or fly Delta for ~$198-$210 (depending if I want comfort plus or not) and earn SPG points and have access to both Amex lounge and Delta lounge with my Amex Plat card....
Exactly! When all the things being close to equal, but flying DL guarantees you can use the DL lounge, earn SPG pts at the same time, why choose AS with the nagging feeling that your PP card is worthless at AS Board Room?

That is the "lesson" every smart consumer should have learned.

That is why the bunch of rhetoric questions esp about "lesson learned" are very silly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.