Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I was in the N lounge the other night and the sign was not out, and the lounge was pretty empty. I did notice the folks at the front desk were being very strict with entry by turning away groups with more that the allowed number of guests etc.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Similar but different... Was denied buying a day pass at a DFW Admirals Club a few months ago for same reason due to weather related service disruptions.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Oh and it was rather busy in ANC too (start of spring break travel). Not a lot of open seats.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:42 am

Sign out, lots of room in the lounge

Saturday March 12, 6 am no sign. Leaving at 7:30 sign out and many empty seats available.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:18 am

Pdx 3/16

First time ever denied entry for PP (usually am there ~once a month for the past year and a half) @ PDX. 5:45 am on 3/16. Didn't ask if I could squeeze in.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rdutli
First time ever denied entry for PP (usually am there ~once a month for the past year and a half) @ PDX. 5:45 am on 3/16. Didn't ask if I could squeeze in.
PDX is pretty much closed to PP all the time now.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take this for what it's worth, but I just read a comment this morning on a travel blog saying that their "internal source" at AS said that they would not be renewing their contract with PP when it comes up again. Not sure if that's true or not or even when that might be, but it does make sense in light of what's been going on. The only way they can "unofficially" end their relationship with PP until the contract is up would be to do what they do now, put out the sign and cite "capacity issues". It would be nice if PP could create or find a PDX replacement, but that will probably take awhile for that to happen.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baze
As Chase is not a partner with AS in any way I doubt AS would even notice or care if you canceled your Chase cards.
The attrition rare and the reasons cited may put some pressure on Chase to get PP acting on the situation - i.e. find a replacement for AS BRs in the West Coast airports as lounge access is one of the more prominent benefit features that separate the CSR from CSP the latter has a first year fee waived offer, annual fee is $95, free AUs just to name a few advantage over CSR, fwiw. Since Chase has lost 300 million profit in launching CSR, the bank hopes to recoup the cost in coming years with customer loyalty - so there is incentive for Chase to do something - not necessarily to do with AS, but rather to do with PP.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:00 am

Denied at LAX 9:52 AM, lounge appears pretty empty currently.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in the SEA N lounge right now. No sign and the place is packed to the gills. Took about 10 minutes for a seat to open up. In the interest of full disclosure I am using one of my 75K lounge passes.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
It would be interesting to know how many people trying to access the BR hold same day AS tickets. I'm sure that most people writing in this thread are, but that certainly is not the case for all PP holders trying to access the BR at these airports. I spoke with a Delta employee and she told me that Delta (in ATL) is having issues in terminal B with overcrowding due to the high use of day passes for Southwest flyers. My guess would be that it's a similar case here but with PP and CSR enrollment.

I hope that PP and AS don't end their relationship, especially in ANC (where it's the only lounge period); however, maybe new requirements (such as same day ticket on AS/VX) should be instated. It might be that AS wants flyers to buy a BR membership, but until AS significantly improves the BR and it's offerings, I don't see how it can compete with Delta or even The Clubs at SEA (which yes have very limited hours).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by berliner5000
It would be interesting to know how many people trying to access the BR hold same day AS tickets. I'm sure that most people writing in this thread are, but that certainly is not the case for all PP holders trying to access the BR at these airports. I spoke with a Delta employee and she told me that Delta (in ATL) is having issues in terminal B with overcrowding due to the high use of day passes for Southwest flyers. My guess would be that it's a similar case here but with PP and CSR enrollment.

I hope that PP and AS don't end their relationship, especially in ANC (where it's the only lounge period); however, maybe new requirements (such as same day ticket on AS/VX) should be instated. It might be that AS wants flyers to buy a BR membership, but until AS significantly improves the BR and it's offerings, I don't see how it can compete with Delta or even The Clubs at SEA (which yes have very limited hours).
UA implemented the same day boarding pass requirement. I didn't see any appreciable lowering of people in the lounges. UA said it was due to too many employees buying memberships and using the lounges as their personal break and lunch rooms.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:01 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The no PP sign seems to be a regular feature at PDX now. I stopped by the BR three times in the past couple of weeks (purely for research purposes, as I was flying DL and had access to the Skyclub) and the sign was out every time. I peeked in, and every time 50%+ of the seats were available.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by berliner5000
I hope that PP and AS don't end their relationship, especially in ANC (where it's the only lounge period); however, maybe new requirements (such as same day ticket on AS/VX) should be instated.
PP would never allow that. It's an airline agnostic program. They require a BP, but any BP.

Even UA's Club, which instated a BP requirement, it's for any airline BP. Airlines recognize that you cannot always fly them and that they don't always go where you go. If anyone should realize that, it's AS.

On another note, if PP is inundated, AS can create a premium card with BofA, or make an arrangement specifically with AMEX. AMEX has been known to do that with certain lounges and networks (e.g., DL, Amerispace Lounges). That may soften the blow, but still keep some revenue coming in. Might be a good compromise solution.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
The no PP sign seems to be a regular feature at PDX now. I stopped by the BR three times in the past couple of weeks (purely for research purposes, as I was flying DL and had access to the Skyclub) and the sign was out every time. I peeked in, and every time 50%+ of the seats were available.
This is a good example of the fact that this is not REALLY about capacity issues at all....the lounges are not getting over-run with PP members all of a sudden during the past month or so. There is an obvious, planned effort (for whatever reason) by AS to make their lounges off limits to PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.