Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've now settled on a "never fly economy if a premium experience is available" policy. It's a bit of a mouthful but I think it's doable.
Best of Luck ;-)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arcticflier

Good details.

Isn’t your argument really with the Card that offered you PP with a promise it would be accepted at numerous Clubs rather than the individual airlines who refused to recognize it?

Obviously AS would welcome the loyalty of a frequent traveler like yourself. I find AS vastly superior to UA; however, I hold no privilege on UA so I don’t receive special treatment as you would.
I'm not going to go so far as to say you're wrong to suggest that PP/Chase/Amex are more to blame than Alaska in terms of what a crapshoot it is in terms of getting into Alaska Lounges with PP given that the Alaska Lounges are the special problem children as far as PP lounges go. PP should probably be more willing to pull the trigger on smacking (smacking = an ultimatum on stop jerking our members around or just fully pull out of our program) Alaska for how it's behaving in regard to PP access...but Alaska is the one who's trying to have it both ways on listing itself as being a PP lounge while playing all of these stupid games about allowing access; no other PP lounge is as fickle about access as Alaska is with its lounges.

If Alaska doesn't want to let in PP members, then it should just fully withdraw from PP. If Alaska's problem is with PP members clogging up the lounges because of tending to max out the family/guest allowances, then I would be fine with Alaska demanding a special dispensation on from PP om limiting PP access to member-only with 0 guest allowance no matter what kind of PP membership you have. Reliably getting in when traveling by myself would be far preferable to having to roll the dice on the no-PP sign being out every time I go to the airport.

But no matter how you slice it, it's just ridiculous all around that Alaska is allowed to get away with claiming to be a PP lounge while being so notorious for not actually letting anyone in under PP. Again, if they don't think letting in PP members is a good idea for them then that's fine, but they need to either .... or get off the pot on this issue.

Anywhooo...it was time for me to take stock on what AFs to avoid so I decided to go with PCing my CSR to a CF/U and canceling my Biz Plat (even before the higher AF was announced) and just trying a year of an AA Exec. I was going to apply for an AA card with a 70k/75k bonus anyhow so I figured trying a year of guaranteed lounge access while still getting those 70k AA miles was worth at least trying out if I could make the year-over-year AFs at worst be a wash.
arcticflier likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If Alaska doesn't want to let in PP members, then it should just fully withdraw from PP. If Alaska's problem is with PP members clogging up the lounges because of tending to max out the family/guest allowances, then I would be fine with Alaska demanding a special dispensation on from PP om limiting PP access to member-only with 0 guest allowance no matter what kind of PP membership you have.
Well said. Although I access via Admirals Club/Citi Exec, I think some consistency would benefit both AS and PP. If a lounge is occasionally closed to PP members, it's one thing, but when it gets to the point that PP members are prohibited more than they are admitted (without publishing specific hours), it's time to reassess participation in the program.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
Just tried to access the AS lounge in the N gates at Seatac. The AS employee said that Alaska ended their partnership with priority pass so they would no longer be accepting the cards.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bosca418
Just tried to access the AS lounge in the N gates at Seatac. The AS employee said that Alaska ended their partnership with priority pass so they would no longer be accepting the cards.
Yes, Seattle AS Lounges have been eliminated:

AS Lounges in SEA Leaving Priority Pass (9/1/2018)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Please continue the discussion in this thread: Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Last edited by dayone; Feb 4, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.