Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by michael1023
i mean the whole point is...is this lounge even worth it? I personally think the flagship AA lounge is better, i wouldnt want to beg to enter this lounge only to find a few hard boiled eggs, drink limits and no shower...:/
The AA FL is status or class of service based for entry. You can’t buy a membership or one day pass to it- this makes it not a correct comparison. AA’s paid membership lounge is the Admirals Club.

But sure, a premium class lounge meant to serve international/transcon premium class passengers flying long haul or high status alliance passengers > a domestic lounge serving customers for an airline that doesn’t have TATL flights, transcon premium or lie flat seats. Water is also wet.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 2, 2019 at 7:57 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

The AA FL is status or class of service based for entry. You can’t buy a membership to it- this makes it not a correct comparison. AA’s paid membership lounge is the Admirals Club.
i think i read somewhere you can buy a day pass for Alaska lounge? would they still let someone in then, with or without a sapphire card?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think i read somewhere you can buy a day pass for Alaska lounge? would they still let someone in then, with or without a sapphire card?
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...ounge/day-pass

I don’t see why anyone would buy AL access at JFK T7 if they weren’t flying AS, given how JFK is laid out, and PP gives you other non-T7 options. Are you planning on flying AS regularly out of JFK?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:21 am

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...ounge/day-pass

I don’t see why anyone would buy AL access at JFK T7 if they weren’t flying AS, given how JFK is laid out, and PP gives you other non-T7 options. Are you planning on flying AS regularly out of JFK?
no, usually i fly either AA or Latam to south america, paid cash first class. I was just looking for another comparable lounge to the flagship lounge, just another possible option
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, usually i fly either AA or Latam to south america, paid cash first class. I was just looking for another comparable lounge to the flagship lounge, just another possible option
Given that JFK is such a PITA to go between terminals (no airside connections so lots of time to enjoy TSA Security Kabuki Theatre, and even landside it’s not exactly convenient), I can’t imagine going to other JFK terminal lounges other than the one for my flight, just because, but OK... you do you.

Personally if I thought the Chase card was worth it I’d get it and use whatever PP restaurants or lounges strike your fancy.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 2, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:34 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If you are wanting to get into [the JFK] Lounge to use for your flights on Alaska, those are the exact flight hours around which they tend to close the lounge to PP members.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 2, 2019 at 11:31 am Reason: Clarity after merge.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally if I thought the Chase card was worth it I’d get it and use whatever PP restaurants or lounges strike your fancy.
This is what I do.

I always thought that PP was kind of useless before, but, now, with the restaurants added, it has real value. I'll easily save $150 on food throughout the year, so that's the whole $450 CSR annual fee paid for right there ($300 travel credit + $150 in food)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Maybe not super useful for you specifically since you're usually getting into the AA lounges based on fare class, but an Admirals Club membership (including the Citi credit card that comes with AC access) gets you into Alaska's lounges.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Maybe not super useful for you specifically since you're usually getting into the AA lounges based on fare class, but an Admirals Club membership (including the Citi credit card that comes with AC access) gets you into Alaska's lounges.
And AC access in SFO

James
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Visited LAX today using my AC membership. Ahead of me in line to check-in we’re two ladies using PP. Overheard on elevator that they saw the “no PP/lounge club” sign posted but would try anyway.

Lounge agent was very pleasant with them, but asked if they saw the sign, stated it was “just put out” (11:00am), and that AS agents hoped to take it down in about 30 min, “so swing by again”.

I have only only used the AS lounge at LAX and JFK 6-7x combined, but the sign excluding PP has always been posted when I’ve visited.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
LAX today too. Sign still out at 3pm. We're on FC tix so no problem for us.
Lounge about 50-60% full.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I was at LAX on 01/02, I think we got to the lounge about 8:40AM.

I couldn't see if the sign was out because there were so many people crowded around the elevator. At first I thought it was just people queuing up to use the elevator as the airport was quite busy (Holiday weekend plus Rose Bowl in LA area) but then I realized it was just a disorganized mob and there was a lounge attendant in the elevator holding the door open and repeating: "First class and members only!".

I raised my hand and called out that I was a member and had to sort of force my way through the mob, it wasn't a polite scene... You'd think that elevator was the last life-boat on the Titanic. One older gent waiting made a snarky comment about Alaska Air as the doors closed and a lady on the elevator ask "Was he being passive aggressive, or just aggressive?". "Aggressive" sighed the lounge agent.

I'd say it was about 60% full. I had 2 guests and we had a bit of a challenge finding 3 good spots together, but not too bad.

About 20min later I saw the guy who yelled at the elevator in the lounge complaining loudly to his friend that it wasn't even as nice as the Delta lounge.
Stay classy rando angry PP member
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:27 am

suffice to say my intrigue about the Alaska lounge has waned....ill stick to the flagship AA lounge. seems like way too much trouble just to get in...
scfw0x0f likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
suffice to say my intrigue about the Alaska lounge has waned....ill stick to the flagship AA lounge. seems like way too much trouble just to get in...
It's a nice lounge, with a warmer atmosphere than most lounges today, which I find unique and pleasant. The complimentary bar is also of higher quality (i.e., actulal brand name spirits) than the Admirals Club. That said, it is absolutely not worth a trip if the Flagship Lounge is a convenient option available to you.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I was surprised to gain admittance at LAX this morning at 9 AM. I wasn’t optimistic because I was turned away the last 2 times I flew out of LAX. The lounge has been 90% full most of the time we’ve been here - it started to clear out a bit at 10:30. We did see them turn away 2 separate parties who were trying to enter >3 hours before their flight time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.