Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:26 am

I went to Capers at PDX on D side a few times recently and every time they said no boarding pass required when I asked, even stating that the benefit can be used on both departure and arrival. They said this was a change from previous policy. But I did also stop by the C location a couple times and the boarding pass was required to be shown. I guess I am confused why there is a difference, but didn't have a chance to test using it upon arrival at D on any of those trips. I haven't been into the PDX Alaska Lounge recently as the sign has been out when I've walked by, but I prefer getting stuff from Capers anyhow.

Another note about Capers food. Recently they've added some sushi options to the grab and go section on both sides. At $13 or so, it'll use up the credit pretty quickly. But the portions are pretty good sized and its surprisingly quite good, at least in my opinion.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by redtigeriii
I went to Capers at PDX on D side a few times recently and every time they said no boarding pass required when I asked, even stating that the benefit can be used on both departure and arrival. They said this was a change from previous policy. But I did also stop by the C location a couple times and the boarding pass was required to be shown. I guess I am confused why there is a difference, but didn't have a chance to test using it upon arrival at D on any of those trips. I haven't been into the PDX Alaska Lounge recently as the sign has been out when I've walked by, but I prefer getting stuff from Capers anyhow.

Another note about Capers food. Recently they've added some sushi options to the grab and go section on both sides. At $13 or so, it'll use up the credit pretty quickly. But the portions are pretty good sized and its surprisingly quite good, at least in my opinion.
The sushi does run out too... agree its reasonable and tasty. ^

Both capers C&D offer it too ^
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

The Priority Pass website stills says a boarding pass is required at both the C and D locations so the employee was either misinformed or they haven't updated the website.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
JFK Saturday morning 12/8. Sign out at 8:00am. Host sharing that sign will come back in at 8:50am.

--EDIT--
They pushed back the official PP access to 9am. I was able to get in and maybe 10 people total. Access control for experience for sure. Lots of PP customers walking up and asking.

Last edited by williwaw; Dec 8, 2018 at 9:48 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
JFK- entrance concierge glanced at the clock, said ‘it’s 5:30’ and wheeled the sign out this morning.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
JFK- entrance concierge glanced at the clock, said ‘it’s 5:30’ and wheeled the sign out this morning.
I think it's almost comical in a sad sorta way that this lounge has been open less than a year and the no PP sign issues have already begun....come on Alaska (or PP), just be done with PP before you open another lounge and have to purchase another expensive sign....lol.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:02 pm

When I was at JFK there was a number of people milling about with the PP cards out hoping to get in....
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I went to Capers at PDX on D side a few times recently and every time they said no boarding pass required when I asked, even stating that the benefit can be used on both departure and arrival. They said this was a change from previous policy.
Priority Pass website no longer specifies that you can get the Capers benefit upon departure only.

Does anyone know how "bottle sales" are defined? I've seen people buy bottles of orange juice and water with their PP cards.
GertieGo and williwaw like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Does anyone know how "bottle sales" are defined? I've seen people buy bottles of orange juice and water with their PP cards.
This references the wine sales they have at their locations. For a while you could land, flash PP, and head home with a decent bottle of wine. They ended that pretty quickly...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Does anyone know how "bottle sales" are defined?
In this context, it means alcohol. Akin to "bottle shops" and "bottle service."
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think it's almost comical in a sad sorta way that this lounge has been open less than a year and the no PP sign issues have already begun....come on Alaska (or PP), just be done with PP before you open another lounge and have to purchase another expensive sign....lol.
I've felt for a while that if Alaska isn't willing to pull the trigger on getting completely out of PP for whatever reason, that a good solution would be to allow PP holders in at all times, but to have a blanket restriction of not allowing PP holders to bring in any guests. I get that a no guests restriction would simply not work for some people, but I feel like knowing that you can consistently get in by yourself would be a significant upgrade from the current super haphazard dice roll.

I feel like my experience at PDX in September is a good illustration of how ridiculous it's gotten. I decided before I got to the airport that I'd do the distillery option even if the Alaska Lounge was letting PP in, but I had to pass the Alaska Lounge to get to the distillery and saw that they had the "no PP" sign out. About 30 minutes later, I decided to grab some food from Capers to bring onto the plane so that I wouldn't have to buy food on the plane (it was my first time at PDX, so I didn't realize that it would have been more efficient to just stop at Capers directly after security). On the way back to Capers, I saw that the no PP sign had been taken back in. I figured I might as well go in and get a glass of champagne since my gate was right next to the lounge--except the sign was already back out by the time I got back from Capers.

At PDX and LAX at least, it seems like they actually really do micro-manage when the sign is out based on actual conditions/expected customer load and aren't just leaving the sign out all day. But it seems like a waste of the employees' time to make them do that.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I've felt for a while that if Alaska isn't willing to pull the trigger on getting completely out of PP for whatever reason, that a good solution would be to allow PP holders in at all times, but to have a blanket restriction of not allowing PP holders to bring in any guests. I get that a no guests restriction would simply not work for some people, but I feel like knowing that you can consistently get in by yourself would be a significant upgrade from the current super haphazard dice roll.

I feel like my experience at PDX in September is a good illustration of how ridiculous it's gotten. I decided before I got to the airport that I'd do the distillery option even if the Alaska Lounge was letting PP in, but I had to pass the Alaska Lounge to get to the distillery and saw that they had the "no PP" sign out. About 30 minutes later, I decided to grab some food from Capers to bring onto the plane so that I wouldn't have to buy food on the plane (it was my first time at PDX, so I didn't realize that it would have been more efficient to just stop at Capers directly after security). On the way back to Capers, I saw that the no PP sign had been taken back in. I figured I might as well go in and get a glass of champagne since my gate was right next to the lounge--except the sign was already back out by the time I got back from Capers.

At PDX and LAX at least, it seems like they actually really do micro-manage when the sign is out based on actual conditions/expected customer load and aren't just leaving the sign out all day. But it seems like a waste of the employees' time to make them do that.
I don't think LAX micro-manages the sign much....it is out virtually all the time so unless you're trying to enter during the first or last 30 minutes, the sign will most likely be out.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

I don't think LAX micro-manages the sign much....it is out virtually all the time so unless you're trying to enter during the first or last 30 minutes, the sign will most likely be out.
I've gone in while the sign was out and tried my luck, and was let in ("oh, I was about to go take back in the sign, I haven't had a chance to go down yet"). And this was around 10 or 11 AM or so.

Leaving about 30 minutes later, I overheard them talking about putting the sign out. I've also had similar situations with the sign not being out when I showed up, but being out 30 minutes later when I left.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I think they tried restricting guests in SEA for a little while (one guest?) but it went contrary to PP and credit card policy, also it still didn't reduce traffic enough. Even the variable entry rules was making it hard for PP to manage with their customers. At least other capacity constrained lounges would set fixed hours for availability (e.g. DFW). So SEA Alaska lounges had to just make it simple and get out entirely, thanks to all the complaints.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:07 am

At this point, the following are probably universally true: (1) no one will pay for any lounge that has PP access (maybe folks abroad may, but not Stateside); and, (2) no one will pay for PP, since it's free on 1/2 of all the CCs out there.

If I were AS, I'd cut my agreement with PP asap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.