Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by ctporter
This thread made me wonder just what that $150 ($450 fee less the $300 travel credit) (actually, after the TSA pre it is only $65 or $50 if GE) lounge access gets people other than at an AS lounge and found this thread:
As beckoa said, if you really want lounge access from a card you probably have an AMEX (or Citi Exec, or UA Club). The PP membership on the CSR is a perk--and I personally use it when I can--but the $150 is for the reward structure.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
JFK Terminal 7

I was flying BA. Thursday evening flight (red eye). 8-30-18. PP access thru Amex Platinum. Sign was out and hostess insisted it was too full. I returned shortly afterwards and a different hostess told me the same thing.

I begged my way in and saw the place was half empty. When I left, an hour before closing, there were only three people there, and the sign was still out there saying they couldn’t admit PP members.

(Same thing happened when trying to access No. 1 Lounge at Gatwick South on the way back. Seems PP members aren’t particularly welcome anywhere.)
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
11:00 PM ANC on a Thursday Night

Granted flights are basically 0'd out... still disappointing to see on my own turf
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
JFK- a half dozen people waiting to enter via PP at 6am this morning but the machine was having some sort of difficulty processing the visits. Sign was out when I left at 6:45am.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Freckles68
I was flying BA. Thursday evening flight (red eye). 8-30-18. PP access thru Amex Platinum. Sign was out and hostess insisted it was too full. I returned shortly afterwards and a different hostess told me the same thing.

I begged my way in and saw the place was half empty. When I left, an hour before closing, there were only three people there, and the sign was still out there saying they couldn’t admit PP members.

(Same thing happened when trying to access No. 1 Lounge at Gatwick South on the way back. Seems PP members aren’t particularly welcome anywhere.)
Originally Posted by beckoa
11:00 PM ANC on a Thursday Night

Granted flights are basically 0'd out... still disappointing to see on my own turf
Originally Posted by rustykettel
JFK- a half dozen people waiting to enter via PP at 6am this morning but the machine was having some sort of difficulty processing the visits. Sign was out when I left at 6:45am.
PP becoming more of a NON-benefit daily. I wonder if the banks that offer the benefit care?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, JFK T8 has the wonderful Bobby Van restaurant that is PP participated. We used it twice this year - each time had great satisfaction.

We used PP benefits at restaurants the past trip at MIA, JFK, BNE, SYD, and TBIT at LAX - walk from T6 to TBIT took 12 min airside. Far better to use PF Chang at TBIT for lunch, then headed to KAL / Skyteam lounge until time to head back to T6 to board our AS flight. The AS lounge at T6 has very little to offer, not to mention it often denies PP cardholders.

After this trip we would have fully recovered the net $150 fee on our CSR during the first 3 months of its 3rd anniversary.

AS should just leave the system.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Well, JFK T8 has the wonderful Bobby Van restaurant that is PP participated. We used it twice this year - each time had great satisfaction.

We used PP benefits at restaurants the past trip at MIA, JFK, BNE, SYD, and TBIT at LAX - walk from T6 to TBIT took 12 min airside. Far better to use PF Chang at TBIT for lunch, then headed to KAL / Skyteam lounge until time to head back to T6 to board our AS flight. The AS lounge at T6 has very little to offer, not to mention it often denies PP cardholders.

After this trip we would have fully recovered the net $150 fee on our CSR during the first 3 months of its 3rd anniversary.

I enjoyed the American Airlines Flagship First Lounge in Terminal 4 at LAX after arriving on CX F. Very comfortable, great selection of food and beverages and awesome shower suites. No need for PP.

Didn't you say you get the benefits of Status flying business or first without ever flying revenue? Why would you need PP?

Hope your trip was awesome.

James
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
The food at Capers is pretty mediocre but it’s so much better than the AS lounge that I’m still a happy camper. For us PDX-based flyers the Capers deal is amazing. We only fly 8-10 times per year but every time we go we spend $75-100 for the four of us, and save having to buy other food or eat at home before we leave or pack bags of lunch food for 2 kids and 2 adults. We also leave home earlier so we have time to eat, which is a plus in my mind as it means we’re never feeling rushed with the kids and no more arrivals 45 minutes before departure. It’s completely transformed our travel experience. We have free wifi at PDX so the AS lounge can’t even offer that as an incentive. Without PP’s Capers deal I doubt PP would have any value for us which would bring into question the value proposition of the CSR itself.

I rarely need to go to a lounge on departure, but when we return home from LAX, DFW, HNL, the east coast, etc., it feels like such a primitive experience!

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I spend way too much time at PDX and am asked for my boarding pass at Capers (D side) 100% of the time. Digital boarding passes from Delta don't display the date and one older guy gave me a hard time because of it one morning. Agree that the prices are super-inflated. $10.95 for the turkey sandwich I usually get. $9.50 for a bag of hazelnuts. Last week they had cups of cherries for $3 each. The salmon is the worst (price and taste). What really chaps my hide is that they have a tip basket out at the cash register. What exactly do they expect a tip for? They are generally unfriendly. I always say "thank you" and they say nothing in return.

On the C side its a bit different experience. When I sit down to eat a meal I'm rarely asked for my boarding pass. Most of them recognize me and know that I tip well. Even when I just grab 2 salads to go ($13.75 - $14 each) at the counter they are generally friendly.

I would take you up on your generous offer of the UA lounge pass, but my next 2 trips depart around 6:30 AM.
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
LAX has had the sign out the last 4/5 times I've been there!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Yeah PF Changs is new... hope to check that out before its gone. They've been churning thru restaurants there Went to one in LAX that only lasted a month.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yeah PF Changs is new... hope to check that out before its gone. They've been churning thru restaurants there Went to one in LAX that only lasted a month.
PF Chang where?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BOB W
PF Chang where?
Mezzanine level in the Tom Bradley International Terminal.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
You just described my typical pattern as a PDX-based flyer....Capers (both the C and D side) was a true game changer for us The French toast on the C side is amazingly yummy!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy

I think the system may leave AS before AS leaves the system...I figured after SEA lounges left, it was only a matter of time before the others followed, particularly LAX which is almost always closed to PP.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier

I think the system may leave AS before AS leaves the system...I figured after SEA lounges left, it was only a matter of time before the others followed, particularly LAX which is almost always closed to PP.
I got in at LAX on Dec 1, but the sign was out barring PP until around 10-1030 PM so I only had time for the worst gin and tonic in living memory and a quick cabernet. The admittance person was severely ticked off that I entered so close to the 11PM closing time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.