Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Date, Location, Day of week, Time of Day and method of access for denial.

Please include if you are actually flying Alaska that day, or some other airline, so we can see if the BR is giving preference to AS flyers

3/10/17 SEA D AL 4pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/12/17 SEA N & A AL 6pm Sunday PP denied
2/18/17 PDX AL 6:00am Saturday (flying AS) - PP denied (sign out)
3/21/17 SEA D AL 9am Tuesday - sign out
3/21/17 SEA N AL 9:45am Tuesday - sign out
3/24/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Friday - sign out (was flying Alaska)
3/25/17 SEA D AL 1:15pm Saturday - sign out
3/25/17 SEA D AL 9:00pm Saturday - sign out
3/26/17 PDX C AL 9:15pm Sunday - Sign out (Was flying AS)
4/2/17 SEA D AL 4:00pm Monday - sign out
4/3/17 SEA D AL 10:30a Monday - sign out - PP requested-denied - was allowed with AL lounge pass - 90% occupied
4/10/17 SEA D 6:45 AM - sign out
4/12/17 SEA D 8:20 PM - sign out
4/14/17 SEA D 10:00 AM - sign out
4/16/17 SEA N 11:00am - sign out, was even upgraded to F on AS and MVP75K, no dice. It was a busy Easter Sunday
4/17/17 PDX 5:35am - no sign, admitted with a smile
4/22/17 PDX 6:35am - no sign, admitted
4/22/17 SEA D 8:15am - no sign, went to Centurion Lounge instead
4/23/17 SEA D and N 4:30pm - sign out. N lounge half empty.
4/26/17 LAX 11:30am - no sign
4/26/17 SEA D no sign, went to The Club
4/27/17 SEA D 10:40 AM - sign out
4/27/17 SEA N 10:50 AM - sign put out just as I entered, admitted with PP as the "last one"
4/27/17 SEA N 4pm - no sign, admitted with PP and a Delta bp
4/30/17 SEA D no sign, admitted
5/1/17 PDX 6:30 am - no sign, admitted, maybe 50% full
5/8/17 SEA D 11:00 am - new sign saying no PP guests, admitted as a PP cardholder.
5/15/17 SEA D 12:30pm sign out no PP
5/18/17 SEA N 7pm Thursday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/18/17 ANC 11:30pm Thursday - no sign, denied, but admitted 45 minutes later (PP, flying AS)
5/19/17 ANC 3pm Friday - no sign, admitted (PP, flying AS)
5/23/17 PDX C 4pm Tue - admitted (PP, flying WN).
5/27/17 PDX 7:50am no sign
6/28/17 LAX 12:30pm/3:30pm- no sign, admitted
9/25/17 PDX 2:00 - sign out, admitted without comment (PP, flying AA)
11/8/17 SEA C 09:00 AM - admitted (PP, flying AS). Only a few seats available, but at least a few seats remained available the whole time I was there
11/16/17 LAX 09:00 AM- sign out, no PP
02/0319 LAX 5pm Sunday-sign out no PP (flying AS)
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Alaska Lounge b/c of space - 2018 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
LAX, 140pm, Tues July 3rd. No sign out. Line of 8 PP checking in. Lounge 75% full.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
a flood of PP users and a group of about 10 checked with one CC that was at the desk
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Line of 8 PP checking in.
These quotes are very telling. Chase Sapphire Reserve and Citi Prestige have fueled a dramatic increase in PP members. There certainly hasn't been a commensurate increase in US PP lounges and capacity. It seems misdirected to blame AS for limiting PP admissions.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Fyi, the ANC staff were very very accommodating to some PP members on Delta tonight. I overheard one of the concierges talking with one of the DL pax on a very delayed flight about letting them back in ("we're not supposed to because we're so full, but there's room over in the corner to so you guys can plug in and work with Delta on getting rebooked..") The concierges even offered some help with flights to the DL folks (ANC/ATL is on a maintenance delay). The concierges have even walked over to them and asked if they needed anything or advice.

So, I'm not buying any "anti-PP" sentiments at Alaska. I think Alaska is just addressing an overcapacity issue.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
7/7, 5:30 a.m. - SEA N Lounge had the sign out. Was less than 50% full when I went in to check about C before heading over there. They said C was open, which it was and maybe 10% full.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Awe, I was napping in D at 530

Didn't see the sign out when I left D at 6:45am today, and N didn't have the sign out from 7-730am either.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS
Lax today, July 7. PP sign out at noon. Lounge 50% full. Lounge attendants are very busy clearing tables and asking if you are using more than 1 chair. (Yes, i am ). Summer travel is so much fun.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Fyi, the ANC staff were very very accommodating to some PP members on Delta tonight. I overheard one of the concierges talking with one of the DL pax on a very delayed flight about letting them back in ("we're not supposed to because we're so full, but there's room over in the corner to so you guys can plug in and work with Delta on getting rebooked..") The concierges even offered some help with flights to the DL folks (ANC/ATL is on a maintenance delay). The concierges have even walked over to them and asked if they needed anything or advice.

So, I'm not buying any "anti-PP" sentiments at Alaska. I think Alaska is just addressing an overcapacity issue.
I think it really depends on the airport and in this case you have the ANC Alaska Lounge which was one of the last Alaska Lounges to start using the "No PP" sign (based on FT reports)....they also have a competitive incentive to "woo" DL flyers over to AS with their great customer service although AS Lounge agents, as kind as they are, typically are unable to provide much in the way of re-booking to AS flyers so I'm not sure how helpful they could be with DL flyers beyond providing a place to plug in their computers and rebook themselves.

In general, I don't think their is an "anti-PP" sentiment at the AS Lounges....it's more of an attempt to keep the place a calm oasis for their own members which sometimes means keeping the sign out when the lounge is less than 50% full. If that really is the case, I can, as a PP member, accept that rationale although I've always wished they would post hours for PP entry like so many other airline lounges do. I also have to wonder, now that it's been well over a year since PP members were denied entry in droves, whether this move has made $$ in terms of more AL memberships and renews or lost $$ from all those missing $28 entry fees per card swipe....I know my use of Alaska Lounges has dropped about 75% or more and I can imagine Alaska would have lost even more $$ from more frequent PP flyers.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
Lax today, July 7. PP sign out at noon. Lounge 50% full. Lounge attendants are very busy clearing tables and asking if you are using more than 1 chair. (Yes, i am ). Summer travel is so much fun.
This is the worst of the worst....and the lounge agent here even admits the sign is out most of the time....they should just permanently bolt it to the elevator entrance door....lol.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think it really depends on the airport and in this case you have the ANC Alaska Lounge which was one of the last Alaska Lounges to start using the "No PP" sign (based on FT reports)....they also have a competitive incentive to "woo" DL flyers over to AS with their great customer service although AS Lounge agents, as kind as they are, typically are unable to provide much in the way of re-booking to AS flyers so I'm not sure how helpful they could be with DL flyers beyond providing a place to plug in their computers and rebook themselves.

In general, I don't think their is an "anti-PP" sentiment at the AS Lounges....it's more of an attempt to keep the place a calm oasis for their own members which sometimes means keeping the sign out when the lounge is less than 50% full. If that really is the case, I can, as a PP member, accept that rationale although I've always wished they would post hours for PP entry like so many other airline lounges do. I also have to wonder, now that it's been well over a year since PP members were denied entry in droves, whether this move has made $$ in terms of more AL memberships and renews or lost $$ from all those missing $28 entry fees per card swipe....I know my use of Alaska Lounges has dropped about 75% or more and I can imagine Alaska would have lost even more $$ from more frequent PP flyers.
OTOH, if all the PP users were allowed in all the time then the lounges might be so overrun and snacks decimated that no one would want to use them, -based only on my experiences of what it was like before they started denying entry for PP users. It also sounds like there is much better choices now (at least at SEA and PDX for PP users)
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctporter
OTOH, if all the PP users were allowed in all the time then the lounges might be so overrun and snacks decimated that no one would want to use them, -based only on my experiences of what it was like before they started denying entry for PP users. It also sounds like there is much better choices now (at least at SEA and PDX for PP users)
True, and the options in PDX and SEA for PP users are "good enough" that, in all honestly, PP doesn't *need* the AS Lounges and maybe with the increased PP options at PDX/SEA, perhaps PP is trying to wean itself away from Alaska Lounges for good....if Alaska Lounges weren't part of PP, I don't think much would change from a travelers perspective or a $$ perspective for Alaska (since they don't swipe nearly as many PP cards as they use to).
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS
SEA D lounge. July 7. 4:45pm. . PP Sign out. Lounge was about 30%. Very surprised the sign was out when the place seemed pretty empty. Very Quiet, normally we would not be in the lounge in the afternoon. (Had to use restroom after deplaning from Gate D3.) Did notice the offerings in the SEA lounge were much better than what is offered at LAX. LAX is getting pretty sad with their food choices. If we depended on PP for lounge access, I would not plan on using it this summer as they seem to be more restrictive due to families traveling.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
ANC proudly had the sign out at 3pm last Tuesday (July 3). Doesn't seem like a peak time though. A friend said he was able to PP his way into the ANC lounge today around 10am without issue.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
At ANC this morning ~11:30 I was told "boarding pass for a flight departing within 3 hours" was the agreement for PP. It seemed rather crowded near the buffet area and restrooms but there was mostly open seating in the other direction.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
At ANC this morning ~11:30 I was told "boarding pass for a flight departing within 3 hours" was the agreement for PP.
That’s showing for all of the Alaska Lounge locations on the PP site, which I think is a relatively new condition. I can’t imagine there would be great demand to spend > 2.5 hours in any AL.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Zorak
At ANC this morning ~11:30 I was told "boarding pass for a flight departing within 3 hours" was the agreement for PP. It seemed rather crowded near the buffet area and restrooms but there was mostly open seating in the other direction.
This sounds like a significant devaluation... I typically use my PP as an arrival lounge for a few minutes, and one may no longer be able to do this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.